• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

would u pay $1000 to avoid a skinned knee??

I probably wouldn’t pay $1000 because there are good pants available for a lot less than that.

$1000, no, I would not.

But 'road rash' is often a lot worse than a skinned knee. I've seen more than a few emergency room photos of riders who had their clothes shredded and those guys were likely in pain for a month or more. Skin grafting is a serious issue and its often required. So not quite a 'skinned knee'. That said, here is what I have:

I have a pair of Oxford/Bull-it riding cargo/tactical motorcycle pants that came from Revzilla with a price tag of $94 + $20(?) for the optional knee pads. Got the pants on Close-Out. Regular price was under $200. Knee armor does not protect the knees! Not really happy with that fact, but at least they will protect my legs from road rash; they are supposed to have a wear-through of about 6 seconds while sliding on asphalt, which is similar to leather.

I've also got a pair of high quality Rev'it motorcycle pants. Those were up in the $350 range and are supremely comfortable and the various protective pads fit in exactly the correct places, but I look sort of like an alien wearing them with their vented mesh panels, armor, and multitude of zippers and reflective patches Again, protective against an asphalt slide, etc.

Looking at buying a new pair of Klim cargo style motorcycle pants, those are running mid-$200s.

But for $1000, I would rather have 3 or 4 pairs in my closet to choose from rather than 1 pair of super expensive pants. Unless, of course, there was some specific reason, like race wear with extra protective requirements? But for normal riding or even touring, nope.

Last edited:
I think I paid around $100 for the first used suit, a Joe Rocket two-piece, I bought on Ebay 14 years ago. I am one happy camper I had the armored pants on when I crashed my first bike due to target fixation in a sharp corner. My knee was bruised, not shredded by the fall. When you think about whether or not to ATGATT think about what is entailed in cleaning the road dirt out of an open wound. I wear used Aerostich Roadcrafters found on Ebay.
Google - 39 Main St, Proctor VT in street view - to see the too big for me one-piece suit size 46 Regular I wore for 9 years. I now own a two-piece I found a couple of years ago in my size at 44 Short for $369. It only took two years to find it. I've worn Oxtar, now TCX Gore-Tex Matrix boots since I started riding. I'm on my second pair I found on Ebay used for $60.

Last edited:
What riding pants are you looking at that're *that* expensive? I've gotten pretty good full gear for well under that.

touratech companero's are only $1095. It looks like almost every high end brand has pants that come close to if not over $1000. I applaud those who buy them, but Im gonna have to pass.

touratech companero's are only $1095. It looks like almost every high end brand has pants that come close to if not over $1000. I applaud those who buy them, but Im gonna have to pass.

I know I've seen several priced in that range. Rukka, Klim, Dianese, Rev'it and a couple other brands too. Most of those things are specialized gear for long distance off road or long distance road tours. Think round the world trips or other long distance adventures.

There are lots of very good, highly abrasion resistant pants out there for well under $1,000.

Even at a grand, compare that to your out of pocket costs for ED, doc, skin graft, and any time out of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are lots of very good, highly abrasion resistant pants out there for well under $1,000.

Even at a grand, compare that to your out of pocket costs for ED, doc, skin graft, and any time out of work.

Think about helmets the same way and yet most people either ride with NO helmet, or ride with a cheap helmet that is little more than a fashion excessory.

Yet real helmets actually saves lives.

While fancy pants, like we are talking about in this thread, generally just save skin, pain, and expense.

Last edited:
Look some more, you can find riding pants a whole lot cheaper than that....My full 1 piece leather track suit was only $600 brand new....

Also, here's a scenario for you. When I crashed my bike on the interstate back in 2010, I was wearing tennis shoes, jeans, leather armored jacket, thin gloves, and Icon DOT rated helmet. I had zero upper body injuries, small cuts on my hands where the gloves ripped, and both legs were broke completely into about 6 inches above the ankle. One was able to be saved, but required lots of hardware, a bone graft, and 8.5 months of not bearing weight on it. The other one ended up being amputated below the knee, then amputated again a few days later as infection set up. I spent 8.5 months in a wheel chair then began to start walking again. Once I got my prosthesis, my leg muscles were so weak, I could not even hold my own body weight up (then about 150 lbs). Took a couple months of hard work and rehab to get back on my feet. 11 months after the date of my wreck, I returned to work and it wasn't easy.

I 100% believe if I had've been wearing a full leather suit, my race boots, and my race gloves - all of which I owned at that time, as I was doing track days then, I probably would have been able to walk away from that accident.....or at the least, just been banged up a little. But instead it costed me all the above. Now, I still ride in the same kind of gear if on the NC (most the time), jeans, jacket, tennis shoes or work boots. Why? Because it's practical to be able to shed off a jacket, be wearing minimally invasive jeans and shoes so I can walk around in comfort when I make stops out on the road. Or that I'm riding to work and just ride in my work clothes underneath my jacket. One exception now is that I wear my suit when I ride with my fast Ducati buddy because we ride extremely aggressive on the street and I don't want to take chances. And actually, the suit is much more comfortable to ride in long distance on my arse. If I had any sense at all, I would wear full gear every time I get on a bike, because of what could happen if I crash. But I don't. When I ride my bagger in warm weather, I go as minimal as jeans, shirt, and half helmet only. One that's not even DOT approved, at that.

It's extremely subjective. I talked with a guy not long ago trying to decide on leather vs. mesh jacket. I told him what I've typed here, and he opted for the mesh jacket for summer riding. What good is a more protective leather jacket if you only plan to cover the lower half of your body minimally. Truth be told, jeans aren't that much more protective than a pair of shorts. And it never will matter until it's too late. So, all in all, you must decide with what level of risk you are comfortable with and wear gear accordingly.

Last edited:

t's extremely subjective. I talked with a guy not long ago trying to decide on leather vs. mesh jacket. I told him what I've typed here, and he opted for the mesh jacket for summer riding. What good is a more protective leather jacket if you only plan to cover the lower half of your body minimally. Truth be told, jeans aren't that much more protective than a pair of shorts. And it never will matter until it's too late. So, all in all, you must decide with what level of risk you are comfortable with and wear gear accordingly.

Thanks again for sharing your story. I know you've shared parts in other threads too.

And I agree with you about it all be subjective.

I preach ATGATT and admit I'm a 90%-10% guy. Today I rode in tennis shoes, no gloves but protective pants, jacket & helmet. I plan to do the same later this afternoon.

Just a side note on the MESH vs LEATHER ... depending upon the brand of mesh, some of it is nearly as protective as leather. I can't speak to the lower priced brands but at the upper end of the quality spectrum the mesh used by Klim, Rev'it, etc will rival quality leather for the abrasion resistance on asphalt.

Helmets I just don't understand. My barber, a late-30's/early 40's confirmed HD guy, wears a thin plastic brain pot helmet on his head when he has to. *****es about it being hot, etc. The topic came up because I carried my Arai into the barber shop, he started talking about how hot helmets are, how he sweats in his, etc. I pointed out all the vents and air channels and how mine was not only fairly cool, but quiet too. He had been riding for half his life and had no clue that all helmets were not hot sweat boxes. WTF? Honestly I took my wife shopping for helmets at the local HD shop last year, they had 2 that had vents, the rest of them were solid with no vent holes at all, and most were half-helmets that offered little more protection than a non-DOT brain pot.

Ditto on what many others have already said.. I have a nice pair of multi-layered/water proof armour pants by Wicked Wear($160), and a pair of Klim Teton armour pants($210). Both were on sale and are very comfortable. My jackets are SS Mesh/Armour/Hi-Vis and it was $100, i also have a FLY multi/layered Armour waterproof jacket that was $250-and it is by far the most comfortable jacket i've ever tried/owned.

Others have their favorites too and they work very well for them. My situation is a little different than most as i am a very hard fit at 6'6", 230lb, 37" sleeve, 36" inseam. Consequently, many excellent manufacturers do not fit me, even with their "Tall/Long" sizes. Lately, I have been eye'ing some Bohn gear and really like the idea/set-up they have.

Armored Motorcycle Pants | Bohn Body Armor - CE-Level 1 Riding Pants

Last edited:
Lately, I have been eye'ing some Bohn gear and really like the idea/set-up they have.

Bohn.com

Is the Bohn stuff underwear with armor?

I looked at their stuff a while back, I noticed a high viz jacket but it was made out of a perforated lightweight fabric that looked like it would shred on impact with asphalt. Even under blue jeans, which shred on impact, it seems like the Bohn stuff would shred about a 1/2 second after the blue jeans shredded on the pavement.

What am I missing with that brand?

Thanks again for sharing your story. I know you've shared parts in other threads too.

And I agree with you about it all be subjective.

I preach ATGATT and admit I'm a 90%-10% guy. Today I rode in tennis shoes, no gloves but protective pants, jacket & helmet. I plan to do the same later this afternoon.

Just a side note on the MESH vs LEATHER ... depending upon the brand of mesh, some of it is nearly as protective as leather. I can't speak to the lower priced brands but at the upper end of the quality spectrum the mesh used by Klim, Rev'it, etc will rival quality leather for the abrasion resistance on asphalt.

Helmets I just don't understand. My barber, a late-30's/early 40's confirmed HD guy, wears a thin plastic brain pot helmet on his head when he has to. *****es about it being hot, etc. The topic came up because I carried my Arai into the barber shop, he started talking about how hot helmets are, how he sweats in his, etc. I pointed out all the vents and air channels and how mine was not only fairly cool, but quiet too. He had been riding for half his life and had no clue that all helmets were not hot sweat boxes. WTF? Honestly I took my wife shopping for helmets at the local HD shop last year, they had 2 that had vents, the rest of them were solid with no vent holes at all, and most were half-helmets that offered little more protection than a non-DOT brain pot.
I've always been a basic gear nazi and big advocate of full face helmets. Its all I've ever worn. But years after my wreck, settling into my old man bike (vulcan nomad 1600) as my only bike for a few years, the wind coming around and under the windshield makes a full face helmet buffet terribly. I still dealt with it and wore it anyways. I commuted to work on it a lot, was sitting in burger king drive through one time on the way to work in mid summer, bike hot, hot outside, wearing full face and no jacket or gloves, I was absolutely burning up. I said Im about to buy me a half helmet to wear just riding back and forth to work. Didn't plan to always wear it. Bought a $35 novelty helmet. Oh man, how much better it was. Little to no buffeting, so much cooler, and I really enjoy the open view when riding instead of being limited on view by a full face. Just feels like more freedom. I wear it all the time now when I'm on the bagger. I also don't ride it near as dangerously as I ride the NC, although I am aware of the dangers on the road that I am not in control of. But again, and stupidly, I'm willing to take the risk.

It's likely that I never would have settled into cruisers if it weren't for my leg, but I'm glad I did. I love this Nomad. The comfort is amazing, just stretch out and cruise. I use it for any time I have to travel long distance that doesn't include a primary purpose of riding fun roads. Rode 1.5 hours one way to buy my college books the other day. Rode it to Nashville to concerts 2.5 hours one way a few different times. These are times the NC doesn't shine and the cruiser does what it's meant to do - cruise. It's nice, and fairly relaxing, and just feels more free wearing little to no gear in the summer, and it is nice. I bundle up and wear more gear in the winter obviously.

3787e39da01bc991684c9a3e90a16ed5.jpg

7684be694dffcfaf668481b80d0d4a18.jpg

50fedc91427e50705ebf6d5aa3331b87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My guess is we are talking KLIM ADVENTURE RALLY PANT. $999.99 to $1,019.99

Aerostich Darien with armored knees are $400. AD1 with armor are $500.

Id'e be down for a thousand dollar pair of RTW pants if they come with a $800 gas card.

Yup that might change my mind too. Until then I'll stick to armored pants that are far more modestly priced.

I too thought that Bob as i viewed their gear, then i noticed their review section and read several of their customers' testimonies "AFTER" they crashed/wrecked/accidents. Their great reviews from their customers has really got me seriously considering a Top/Bottom set....

Rider Testimonials | Bohn Body Armor | Armored Motorcycle Clothing
I think I'll give it another look after reading some of the testimonials from people who had unexpected dismounts.

The Bohn stuff is a little confusing - seems like it’s an armored base layer you wear under street clothes. If that’s the case, I’d still have concerns over abrasion. The Bohn stuff seems to have decent armor (CE 1, but there is better armor out there), but the fabrics are mostly or all Lycra.

Back