• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

X-Ring Chain Disintegrate?

DTMWAP

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a 12,000 km old DID 520 VX2 chain. It started its life with with this Motul lubricant (every 1,000 km). Was cleaned at 6,000 km with kerosene and a soft brush not to hurt these X-Rings. Now, at 12,000 km, before its second cleaning, I notice what looks like filaments of X-Rings that detach from the chain. Anybody ever had this problem? Can this be X-Rings that desintegrate?

Xring_Chain_0913.jpg

Xring_Chain_0914.jpgMotul_0915.jpg

I have a couple of these x-ring slivers showing on a VX2, and I clean seldom and never clean with a brush. Perhaps it’s a weakness in this x-ring design.

Reactions: MZ5
I have a couple of these x-ring slivers showing on a VX2, and I clean seldom and never clean with a brush. Perhaps it’s a weakness in this x-ring design.
How do you clean your chain if you don't use a brush?

Having cleaned it only once before I see these X-Rings failing. I suspect this Motul stuff to affect X-Rings even if they say "compatible"...

How do you clean your chain if you don't use a brush?
For cleaning, heavy duty shop type paper towel. I have never used a brush on an O-ring or X-ring chain.

For lube, I have used the Motul stuff, but not all the time. Lately I just use gear oil, like the Honda manual says.

Yes, I’ve also had that happen, though I can’t recall what brand of chain it was just off the top of my head.

I've used several cans of Motul without issue My current preference is PJ1 Blue.

I've had stringy, deteriorated X/O-rings before. It was a result of overenthusiastic brush use

I never clean a chain. I think I would do more harm than good. I lube with an automatic oiler so any crud eventually flings off.
I've been thinking about it for a long time, from now on, no more chain cleaning, no more fancy chain lube; gear oil. Now shopping for an automatic oiler; any recommendations?

Thank you.
Great pics!

$226 CAD to get it shipped to my house.
Yikes!
I think I'll keep doing the cleaning and lubing myself.

Last edited:
Motobriiz(.com) is definitely the most cost-effective. Also works well. You must replace the oiler pads regularly, though.

Thank you.
Great pics!

$226 CAD to get it shipped to my house.
Yikes!
I think I'll keep doing the cleaning and lubing myself.
Their cheapest kit is all you really need to get. About $50 CAD less. I think an oiler will extend the sprocket and chain life. Other than the 600 mile service, the bike has been maintenance free. (needs new tires badly now at 2200 miles)

As I wanted to have some manual control over oiling of the chain, I finally opted for this GIDIAII oiler found on AliExpress which is a copy of the Cobrra oiler but 6 times cheaper. Quality is impressive, comes with all what's needed for installation and even some spare parts! With gear oil, the functionality is exactly as described. Really like it.

01_IMG_7234.jpg

02_IMG_7231.jpg

03_IMG_7236.jpg

I had a look at the operation of that oiler on the web. The video was under the Nemo brand but the same. Interesting idea. A report on its operation and efficiency would be appreciated at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back