• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yamaha MT-09??

I think it was always the Tracer in Europe but in the USA it was the FJ-09 for a year or two before falling into line with the other side of the pond. I've ridden the first year FJ-09 and have a riding friend with a Tracer, I think a 2018 model. It has a cracking engine especially if you like bike that revs. Friend Bill has never mentioned a weave problem and he does ride it all over the SE USA although probably not at 115 mph.
Yep, I think it all changed in 2018. The FZ 09 is now called the MT 09 like it was in Europe all those years, and the FJ 09 is now the MT 09 Tracer, same as it was in Europe too. They done a great job at confusing me on that one. Now the OP's post being interested in the "MT 09" makes more sense.

There was a bunch of factors people say contributed to the wobble in the 2015-17ish models. People were adding a link or two to the chain and moving rear wheel back a bit to stretch wheelbase, removing those funky transformer looking handguards, which oddly enough seem to have actually been an issue. I guess turbulence around the hand guards could cause unwanted input on the bars at speed, coupled with other factors, making it wobble. Yamaha redesigned the handguards and windshield on the newer Tracers and the swingarm is an inch or so longer. Reviews seem to state the wobble issue that plagued the earlier models is completely gone in the newer models.

The tracer really fits the bill for what Im looking for, if only it came with a DCT trans lol. Its lighter than the NC, over twice the power, better suspension and brakes, seats look fairly comfortable and the drivers seat can be adjusted between 2 different height settings, it sits plenty high enough to rig up and highway peg and still have plenty cornering clearance. It may just be a winner for me.
You might take a look at Allsports in Decatur. They usually have a decent selection of new and used Yamahas.
Just called them and they have a 2015 FJ 09 and 2017 FJ 09 but no Tracer 900, which is totally fine, as the desing and contour of both bikes is essentially still the same, so I may ride over there and check one out. Wish I'd known that when I rode over to Athens State University on my Nomad last week to buy my books, I could have stopped in while I was over there. It's about 1.5 hours away from my house. Thanks man!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Tracer 900GT had 2 (maybe 3) different drive modes; it has standard old man mode and a sport mode (I think there is a 3rd mode). Comes with heated grips also standard...the GT edition has all the bells and whistles most riders would put on the bike anyways..also has a ride stabilization feature (or whatever they call it)...I also think it has a different dash than the base model...also has a nice windshield (or the one I test rode did-demo truck was in town) which was perfect for me. The GT actually has an msrp of $4000 more than the base MT-09. On mother Yamaha website, they have the MT-09 (hyper-naked), the Tracer 900 (sport touring), and the Tracer 900GT (sport touring)-all basically the same bike with different add-ons, doodads...

The Tracer 900GT had 2 (maybe 3) different drive modes; it has standard old man mode and a sport mode (I think there is a 3rd mode). Comes with heated grips also standard...the GT edition has all the bells and whistles most riders would put on the bike anyways..also has a ride stabilization feature (or whatever they call it)...I also think it has a different dash than the base model...also has a nice windshield (or the one I test rode did-demo truck was in town) which was perfect for me. The GT actually has an msrp of $4000 more than the base MT-09. On mother Yamaha website, they have the MT-09 (hyper-naked), the Tracer 900 (sport touring), and the Tracer 900GT (sport touring)-all basically the same bike with different add-ons, doodads...
Right, but the msrp price difference between the Tracer 900 and Tracer 900 GT is only $2500. The Tracer 900 base has the same ride modes as the GT. I really dig the gray/white color combo with red accents on the base model though. I don't like blue anything lol. And you are right on the dash, I believe the GT gets a color display that looks a little different.

Talking with Roy Tansley that owns Pro-Shift in the UK. Still trying to learn the differences between the few electric shifter systems he sells, but he makes one that works with a custom bracket for bolt on installation on the Tracer 900. Starting to look like this bike is a real potential next bike.

Called around, cheapest I've found a base 2019 Tracer 900 out the door, tax/fees/everything, is about $9500. That's not terrible. On the other hand, a guy 2 hours from me in TN has a GT model listed for $10,500 that only has 1350 miles on it, with 2 different aftermarket windshields, bike is mint. If he'd come down to $10k even, that's like paying $500 more for oem panniers, color TFT display, heated grips, quickshifter, upgraded suspension, cruise control, and whatever else the GT has over the base. Of course AL tax would be around $300 more but that's still not bad considering.

Here's the Pro Shifter and bracket

2e939695737a263b4ed761ad08389691.jpg

And the Tracer GT

a7177362a64df5beb88f5b899708b8b3.jpg

d367870dfc11cac3d8b1e8c0c77074cc.jpg

1db1053c4a3e3c977643b7da4dbe58b4.jpg

132c66d5b9c16521f2e8bfeced088751.jpg

Last edited:
as a current owner of the tracer 900(2017).
great bike oozes torque etc. as wobble never experience it myself and gone over the speed limit (115 mph once).
60 plus mpg riding two up over 200 miles range to the the tankful. 18 ltrs.
hard guard were or are for show only coz they do bugger all in keeping the rain or cold wind off so I removed mine.
vibs just any other bike,never had a bike that didn't.if it bothers you then best to stick to a car.
I don't find the motor frantic at all but we're all different in what we like.
the seat like most bikes these days and the NC is no exception is like a plank. 50 miles and my *** is aching.
what I find very annoying is a constant whine at around 60 mph.
going to fit a bigger tooth on the front from 16t to 17t hopefully this will move the whining further up the speed.
heres a picture of my bike,just put new stickers on.
DSC04255.jpg
DSC04686.jpg
DSC04687.jpg

Back