• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yamaha MT-09??

Randy99CL

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any personal experience with the MT-09 (2017+) and can compare it to the NC?

On paper it looks like the bikes are comparable with the Yamaha having some advantages.
It's only $900 more. ($8099-$8999)
100 more CCs.
50 pounds less weight.
Twice the horsepower.
30% more torque.
Dual front discs.
Standard ABS and traction control.
Selectable Engine Control maps.
Adjustable (superior) suspension.
But only half the gas mileage.

The reviews on the latest model MT-09 are very positive with no major flaws, seems to be sorted really well. Most reviewers really like it.

I love my NC750X and it truly is a great bike. It sets a high standard for reliability, affordability, torque, handling, storage and gas mileage.
But I wonder if I might like the MT more? I'd appreciate the lighter weight, better brakes, ABS, suspension, the power.

Anyone who can compare them??
TIA

I had occasion to throw a leg over one recently - I was drawn to it for many of the features you’ve pointed out. I was really disappointed with the foot pegs/controls. They are set back way more than I could ever be comfortable with.

The MT09 is more of a sport oriented bike than the NC, in my opinion apples to oranges when compared to one another. If sport riding is what you enjoy, the MT09 would certainly be better at it than the NC. I dig the MT09's. Sharp bikes.

Also note the lack of wind protection. Folks like to complain about the NC and its stock windshield providing little to no wind protection, but it does more than you think when compared to a naked bike like this. Wind would beat you up more on long trips, I'd imagine it would be a little less comfortable riding position than the NC.

Bottom line is why are you interested in the MT09 - for what type riding? If for sport riding and occasional road trip, and you can deal with a little less comfort in the name of sport performance, then the better brakes, more power, lighter weight, and slightly aggressive riding position should all provide what you need.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If I rode the MT-09 & NC700X to work today I'd get there in the same time. 20 years ago I would get there in half the time on the MT-09. Comes down to riding style.

I think I may be confused on what's what regarding the MT 09. I was under the impression the MT 09 was same as FZ 09, not the FJ 09. I'm not super familiar with either, but I'm not sure where the MT 09 name comes in. I see some things say MT 09 Tracer FJ 09. So I assume you were talking about the FJ 09 not the FZ 09, which would make perfect sense and void most of what I said above, as I thought you were considering the sportier FZ 09.

I think I may be confused on what's what regarding the MT 09. I was under the impression the MT 09 was same as FZ 09, not the FJ 09. I'm not super familiar with either, but I'm not sure where the MT 09 name comes in. I see some things say MT 09 Tracer FJ 09. So I assume you were talking about the FJ 09 not the FZ 09, which would make perfect sense and void most of what I said above, as I thought you were considering the sportier FZ 09.

Yes the MT used to be called the FZ.
The MT-09 is comparable to our NCs in many ways. It's not called an "adventure" bike so has less clearance and travel but it is a naked standard bike with upright seating position.

I've only had my NC for a couple of months but already wish it was more sporty and responsive with more power, better front brakes, ABS and tunable suspension.
The NC is incredible and amazing and I love it; I get the impression the MT-09 is a lot like an NC on steroids.
YouTube videos are interesting and revealing and I've watched dozens on these bikes and others. The reviews are so much better than what we had in the past.

Since my NC is that new it wouldn't be financially responsible to sell or trade it now so I probably won't do anything until next year.
And actually, I've already moved on from the MT-09, I'm now more interested in the Kaw Z900. It's cheaper at $8799 (ABS) with a 948cc inline 4 with 125 HP and 73 ft/lb TQ with the same weight as the NC. It's a rocket, but more controllable (less wheelie-prone) than the MT-09. 2019 Z900.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, ok. I figured you may had been looking at the FJ 09, I just discovered it actually and wondered if that was really the one you were interested in.

I have been looking at ways of adapting a manual shift bike. I have read of some reliability issues with the Pingel electric shifter setups, but still researching. If I could figure out a reliable way to shift a manual bike, I'd be seriously looking at the FJ 09. Solid power, as light and nimble as the NC, luggage options, better suspension and brakes. I need the higher ride height for clearance of a highway peg for my leg. Can pick one up for around $6-7k used.

e991adc7da00c8893426af794d275cdb.jpg

I've also been looking at other bikes. The Versys 1000 has caught my attention quite heavily. Big comfort, heavy but not as heavy as some (about 75 lbs lighter than the VFR1200X), inline 4 literbike engine, luggage options, perfect tire sizes 180/55/17 and 120/70/17.

e127a2d5edb11f84ab7c8c210d3afae3.jpg

5b2d976277c3e29e34db54b6b4ab3911.jpg

For a while, I studied Ducatis and contemplated trying to make a Multistrada work for me. My buddy just bought his 2nd Multistrada, which makes the 4th Ducati in his garage. He has a Monster, a Panigale, Multistrada Enduro, and now a '19 Multistrada Pikes Peak edition, and it is badass! Sounds so gnarly. But I figure I am better off avoiding Ducati all together, nearest dealer is a couple hours away, they are known to have problems that can be expensive or at the least extremely frustrating if covered under warranty. I feel as if they are the Harley Davidson of the sport world. I will probably just stick with my NC a while longer and see what Honda comes out with later that may have DCT option.

My buddy's Pikes Peak Multi

9c96c866a7c3a09d3113348913ff31cb.jpg

I have ridden the Tracer 900 with the three cylinder motor. By comparison with the NC motor the 900 is frantic to say the least. It is a very sporty motor and nothing about it is relaxed. The one I tried also had unacceptable high frequency vibes around the 4000 RPM mark. I just didn't like it. Some say the 700 twin in the MT07 is much better.

I have ridden the Tracer 900 with the three cylinder motor. By comparison with the NC motor the 900 is frantic to say the least. It is a very sporty motor and nothing about it is relaxed. The one I tried also had unacceptable high frequency vibes around the 4000 RPM mark. I just didn't like it. Some say the 700 twin in the MT07 is much better.
Do you remember the particular year model you rode?

Man I am hung on this FJ 09 bike. I think I could mount a highway peg on it fairly easily, and maybe buy a replacement oem shift lever, extend it an inch or so so it would be easy to grab with my heal, rotate it upward a couple inches via the splines, and ride it without an electric shift solenoid setup. At $6k-7k, I could afford to buy one and experiment with it, if it didn't work out, sell and get most my money back, or if it does work out, sell the NC and keep it. My wheels are turning....

I know there aren't many with the honing around riding style on this board, but I sure do miss being able to do wheelies!

YouTube

Y'all read about the speed wobble issues with the fz09 and fj09's? Completely turned me off of either. Just search YouTube for fz 09 or fj 09 speed wobble. It's a wonder Yamaha hasn't been sued over that.

Based on what I’ve read and heard over the years I wouldn’t worry about it. The ST1300 has a name for their wobble, the Pan Weave, yet the bike racks up quite millions of miles in all sorts of conditions under all sorts of riders.

The overwhelming killers in the community of riders are left turning car accidents and single vehicle accidents with riders that fail to negotiate a corner and run off the road to hit terrain or fixed objects.

Based on what I’ve read and heard over the years I wouldn’t worry about it. The ST1300 has a name for their wobble, the Pan Weave, yet the bike racks up quite millions of miles in all sorts of conditions under all sorts of riders.

The overwhelming killers in the community of riders are left turning car accidents and single vehicle accidents with riders that fail to negotiate a corner and run off the road to hit terrain or fixed objects.
Idk man, it's very notorious with the FJ 09's moreso than the FZ 09's. People retro fitting a GPR damper for the FZ and upgrading suspension to prevent it.

I commented on one guy's YouTube vid of a run through Deals Gap and asked if he had speed wobble issues and he said oh yeah, he had a damper and aftermarket suspension front and rear to fix it. Sounds like a steering geometry issue based on how common the issue is.

Y'all read about the speed wobble issues with the fz09 and fj09's? Completely turned me off of either. Just search YouTube for fz 09 or fj 09 speed wobble. It's a wonder Yamaha hasn't been sued over that.

I watched quite of few of the youtube videos this morning, and every single one of them, the riders are going way over the speed limit (one guy was doing 80mph in a 45mph residential area and hit a pothole-others doing over 200kph: 124mph) and encountering rough pavement, potholes, uneven pavement...kind of hard to sue a company when breaking the speeding limits...heck my old cruiser wobbles if I hit rough pavement doing 90mph...also, what kind of damage is being done to the front ends when the hooligans (their words on their youtubes) are doing wheelies and coming down hard on the front end-bikes are not designed for wheelies...

I watched quite of few of the youtube videos this morning, and every single one of them, the riders are going way over the speed limit (one guy was doing 80mph in a 45mph residential area and hit a pothole-others doing over 200kph: 124mph) and encountering rough pavement, potholes, uneven pavement...kind of hard to sue a company when breaking the speeding limits...heck my old cruiser wobbles if I hit rough pavement doing 90mph...also, what kind of damage is being done to the front ends when the hooligans (their words on their youtubes) are doing wheelies and coming down hard on the front end-bikes are not designed for wheelies...
About the only damage that gets done from doing wheelies is eventually fork seals may start leaking. Not a big deal really.

Performance bikes, which is exactly what the bikes discussed herein are, should not be prone to headshake just from going fast on a straight road or hitting a pothole at an average highway speed. They should remain stable. Remember you are talking about bikes with well over 100 hp, not something like the little NC that will barely touch 100mph. Just because you don't have any inclination to ride that fast doesn't mean there aren't a great many that do ride that fast. Most literbikes now have around 200 hp and capable of clipping 200 mph should one choose to do so. Any bike made should be designed as such to be stable throughout its performance capabilities. To me, seems the FJ 09 may have a rake/trail issue. Some videos and forum posts were saying it was more prone to wobbling when accelerating, which is kinda odd, because if you ever encounter a tank slapper (bad wobble), accelerating usually fixes it because it takes weight off the front end and it can true up. But by accelerating and it seemingly causing the wobble in the FJ 09's, it seems it may be squating the rear and bringing the front end up to an unstable angle, creating the wobble.

Last edited:
Been eyeballing the FJ 09 / Tracer some more, apparently somewhere in the last couple years they stopped calling it the FJ 09 and now it's just called the Tracer 900. Anyways, seems as if they may have slicked out some of the issues causing the speed wobble in the earlier years. Dealer in Knoxville TN has the 2019 base model listed for around $8500 plus fees and such. Probably around $9500 out the door. I think I may can figure out how to rig up a highway peg mounted by way of the front frame/engine mount., then maybe could modify the shifted to where I could grab it with my heal to shift. And worst case, install Pingel electric shifter to use when not convenient to shift with my foot, but still have foot shift for backup in case Pingel shifter fails.

Sure is a sexy machine, especially with the color matched bags (that cost extra).

b0c0c956a1068b7b9e659c3725ab143a.jpg

5a60ba00f4bcb2fd3fbedd301d65e05a.jpg

f6053f85a1f59dfe6e6f3014b6da0f8e.jpg

e1f23bb8f4a044f2396ec3318f7ce268.jpg

f9b6cdeb512660aa957c3832f55bebaf.jpg

I test rode the Trace 900GT in early spring and oh my god....the GT version is $12,999 msrp but lordy...as an old car commercial used to state: zoom zoom....I think the Tracer line is just a spoofed up version of the MT line as MT-09 is still available also:
403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

Last edited:
I test rode the Trace 900GT in early spring and oh my god....the GT version is $12,999 msrp but lordy...as an old car commercial used to state: zoom zoom....I think the Tracer line is just a spoofed up version of the MT line as MT-09 is still available also:
403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
It is, that's why I was confused on terminology. I think it's technically called the MT 09 Tracer. It's, as I heard one refer to it as, an MT 09 on high heels.

The GT model would definitely be preferred, but I don't think the extra $2500 is worth it, and I really don't like the color it comes in. But I guess if you think about it, at least $1k of the $2500 can be attributed to panniers that doesn't come with the base model. Which I would probably end up buying for the base model any ways, so say $1500 extra...that's not terrible for better suspension and whatever else the GT model has. But, I think the base model is improved enough to be plenty to suit me.

Not in a hurry for one, still studying it. Need to go look at one in person, but nearest dealer I have found that actually has one in stock is the dealer in Knoxville TN, which is 2.5 hrs away. Nobody anywhere closer to me has one in stock, just not a popular bike around here I don't guess. Might wait til toward end of year and see what kind of deals pop up after the 2020's come out.

I think it was always the Tracer in Europe but in the USA it was the FJ-09 for a year or two before falling into line with the other side of the pond. I've ridden the first year FJ-09 and have a riding friend with a Tracer, I think a 2018 model. It has a cracking engine especially if you like bike that revs. Friend Bill has never mentioned a weave problem and he does ride it all over the SE USA although probably not at 115 mph.

It is, that's why I was confused on terminology. I think it's technically called the MT 09 Tracer. It's, as I heard one refer to it as, an MT 09 on high heels.

The GT model would definitely be preferred, but I don't think the extra $2500 is worth it, and I really don't like the color it comes in. But I guess if you think about it, at least $1k of the $2500 can be attributed to panniers that doesn't come with the base model. Which I would probably end up buying for the base model any ways, so say $1500 extra...that's not terrible for better suspension and whatever else the GT model has. But, I think the base model is improved enough to be plenty to suit me.

Not in a hurry for one, still studying it. Need to go look at one in person, but nearest dealer I have found that actually has one in stock is the dealer in Knoxville TN, which is 2.5 hrs away. Nobody anywhere closer to me has one in stock, just not a popular bike around here I don't guess. Might wait til toward end of year and see what kind of deals pop up after the 2020's come out.

You might take a look at Allsports in Decatur. They usually have a decent selection of new and used Yamahas.

Back