• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yearly oil change

I send off my oil to Blackstone for analysis and get their newsletter. In one issue they asked their lead tester which oil he uses and he said "The cheapest one I can find at Wal-Mart". That is interesting insight from someone who has seen a lot of oil.

I personally base my change interval on the results of the testing and for my usage once a year works fine. I've done 10k intervals on my truck for the last 160k miles also.

I would agree with the cheapest oil from Walmart if he would have added,
(That meets or exceeds the manufacturers specs.)
I use a quality oil in my vehicles. Saving a couple of bucks in oil vs taking a chance with the cheapest isn't a chance I want to take.

Last edited:
This is from Petroleum Quality Institute of America. I don't know who they are but similar information can be found on other sites also:

Petroleum Quality Institute of America

" WARNING: If you are buying an API SA oil, it's an engine oil formulated for use in vehicles built in the 1920s. As such, it has no additives to protect your engine. Importantly, the API says the use of SA, SB, SC, and SD "may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm" in gasoline-powered automobile engines built after 1971. Engine oil with API SA and other obsolete API service categories are not hard to find mixed in with SM on the shelves at C-stores and others. With the exception of California there are no laws to prevent the sale of API SA engine oil. Also, don't let price or slick looking labels guide you. Engine oils with a Service Classification prior to API SM oils (including SA) are often priced close to that of SM and have labels that look good and sometimes use such words as "Premium" and others that suggest high performance."

View attachment 28293

View attachment 28294

"Cheapest oil at Walmart" that meets specs is actually what I use. Valvoline 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil is sold there for $3.99/qt. It meets all of the specs called for in the Honda NC700X service manual. Unless there is a special sale or rebate elsewhere, WM is the cheapest source I have found.

Last edited:
...Valvoline 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil is sold there for $3.99/qt. ..

According to Valvoline specs this oil:

"Meets or Exceeds JASO MA2
SAE 10W-40, SAE 20W-50"

so it should be better than Honda GN4 oil.

" WARNING: If you are buying an API SA oil, it's an engine oil formulated for use in vehicles built in the 1920s. As such, it has no additives to protect your engine. Importantly, the API says the use of SA, SB, SC, and SD "may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm" in gasoline-powered automobile engines built after 1971.

A reverse warning is also worth considering. Zinc and Phosphorus additives have been continuously reduced in later API ratings. API SG rated oils sped'ed a 1200-1300 ppm level for zinc and phosphorus, whereas the current SM is under 600 ppm. This reduction in anti-wear chemicals in oil has caused excessive wear of flat tappet lifters and camshafts in older motorcycles and automobiles. I still use SG rated oils in my older BMW's for this reason.

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
And then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good bye to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back a gain to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Stuff sure is complicated nowadays :/

:D

A reverse warning is also worth considering. Zinc and Phosphorus additives have been continuously reduced in later API ratings. API SG rated oils sped'ed a 1200-1300 ppm level for zinc and phosphorus, whereas the current SM is under 600 ppm. This reduction in anti-wear chemicals in oil has caused excessive wear of flat tappet lifters and camshafts in older motorcycles and automobiles. I still use SG rated oils in my older BMW's for this reason.

There is a quote from similar discussion on Ducati.MS forum:

Correction: This information is incorrect. Look at tread #49

"JASO MA2 came about circa 2006 as an amendment to the MA spec intended to address the fact that motorcycles were being manufactured with catalytic converters embedded in the exhaust system. Following the same logic as the move from ILSAC GF4 to GF5 and API SM to SN in the automotive side of motor oils for gasoline engines, MA to MA2 entails a reduction in the level of key anti-wear additives in the oil, namely Phosphorus and Zinc. An MA oil will tend to have more Phos/Zinc anti-wear additive by ppm count than an MA2 oil."

JASO MA vs MA2.... engine wear vs. catalytic converter longevity - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

but this already far exceeds my expectations...

Last edited:
There is a quote from similar discussion on Ducati.MS forum:

"JASO MA2 came about circa 2006 as an amendment to the MA spec intended to address the fact that motorcycles were being manufactured with catalytic converters embedded in the exhaust system. Following the same logic as the move from ILSAC GF4 to GF5 and API SM to SN in the automotive side of motor oils for gasoline engines, MA to MA2 entails a reduction in the level of key anti-wear additives in the oil, namely Phosphorus and Zinc. An MA oil will tend to have more Phos/Zinc anti-wear additive by ppm count than an MA2 oil."

JASO MA vs MA2.... engine wear vs. catalytic converter longevity - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

but this already far exceeds my expectations...

The quote you provided gives incorrect information. MA2 is not a newer version of MA. By JASO T 903:2006 oils are classified as either MA or MB as a result of the static and dynamic friction tests. The MA class is further broken into MA1 and MA2 as a result of these tests. This has nothing to do with zinc and phosphorus additive levels and was correctly explained in a subsequent post by poster Thirdrail later in the thread that you quoted.

The quote you provided gives incorrect information. MA2 is not a newer version of MA. By JASO T 903:2006 oils are classified as either MA or MB as a result of the static and dynamic friction tests. The MA class is further broken into MA1 and MA2 as a result of these tests. This has nothing to do with zinc and phosphorus additive levels and was correctly explained in a subsequent post by poster Thirdrail later in the thread that you quoted.

Sorry for misleading link
...and apologies to Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (日本自動車規格 Nihon Jidōsha Kikaku, JASO) :eek:

Back