• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yoshimura R77 Street Slip-On Exhaust - Unboxing and Installation

PortlandZinMan

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Arrived today and I just finished the installation. There is a GREAT video on YouTube from the folks at Motorcycle Superstore (YouTube) - watch this video before you do the installation! It is HUGELY helpful.

I selected the Yoshimura R77 over the others for one reason...it supports the OEM centerstand. I listened to all the aftermarket exhaust options on YouTube and they all sounded pretty much the same to me.

I also wanted a slight louder note so I can hear the engine. It is really tough to manual shift in its current OEM sowing machine mode.

The box arrived and it was mostly Styrofoam Peanuts (I hate those ... they get everywhere), but the new exhaust was well protected and arrived undamaged.

I selected the less expensive stainless steel version because I didn't feel the extra $100 for the carbon fiber one was worth it just for cosmetics...A little shiny stuff never hurt anything.

Installation: the OEM pipe came off easily. Installing the R77 was easy except for one thing...Around the inside of the main mounting bracket is a rubber strip...I spent all of 20 minutes trying to get that on to the bracket and lined up, another 10 minutes trying to peal the protective coating off that same bracket and a mere 5 minutes installing the pipe! Hehehehe

They advise that you completely wipe the pipe down with rubbing alcohol before starting the bike the first time – heed this advice. A few years back, I found my finger prints in a brand new chrome heat shield because the oils in my fingers were baked on! You only need to do this "wipe down" once.

Starting the bike was a shock ... the new pipe is loud (to me), but it sounded VERY cool! I knew right away that I wanted to install the extra baffle they provide to reduce the volume. Since I am sure I am the only one on the planet who would prefer this, all I will say is "READ the instructions" for installing it, if you plan to do it. I didn't and it cost me 20 minutes of frustration before I realized there is a punch plug you to have to pound out before installation.

Final thoughts ... I am happy with the fit, finish and sound. We ride on Sunday, so i'll get to try it out in real world conditions.

Of course...photos:

IMG_5442.jpgIMG_5441.jpg

Same one I have on mine, I've had it a couple of seasons and it still is quiet enough to not have the sound baffle installed.

edit: the forum won't let me like the post, anti-Yoshi ???

I have one also, and love it.

There is one downside: With OEM side bags, it sits close enough to the bottom of the bag that it will melt the bag slightly at first. Just enough to get a little ridge of plastic "out of the way" and then at that point, it no longer affects the bag. Still kind of lame for something that should be OEM.

There is one downside: With OEM side bags, it sits close enough to the bottom of the bag that it will melt the bag slightly at first. Just enough to get a little ridge of plastic "out of the way" and then at that point, it no longer affects the bag. Still kind of lame for something that should be OEM.

Could spot/jb weld a bent exhaust tip to redirect it, or glue a thin alu plate under the bag.

Could spot/jb weld a bent exhaust tip to redirect it, or glue a thin alu plate under the bag.

By the time I noticed what it had done, it had already removed the small amount of plastic that it wanted to. It doesn't continue to get worse, just removes a tiny bit.

Really? Can you send me a photo? Maybe I can put a small plate there to protect it? I had not considered this (or heard of this in my research)....

Okay, here it is. This basically happened the first or second long ride I put on the bike after slapping on the exhaust. It's not bent or anything and it can't be adjusted down very effectively. I thought about calling Yoshimura, but I ultimately decided I didn't care. Probably have 20k miles with it and it hasnt' gotten worse. The silencer insert didn't prevent it from happening either. The exhaust just comes out with a little more heat than the ABS or whatever plastic can deal with, trickles up and that's that.

As of now all it does is get slightly warm to the touch, and inside; But never enough to melt anything else.

rear.jpg

side.jpg

Okay, here it is. This basically happened the first or second long ride I put on the bike after slapping on the exhaust. It's not bent or anything and it can't be adjusted down very effectively. I thought about calling Yoshimura, but I ultimately decided I didn't care. Probably have 20k miles with it and it hasnt' gotten worse. The silencer insert didn't prevent it from happening either. The exhaust just comes out with a little more heat than the ABS or whatever plastic can deal with, trickles up and that's that.

As of now all it does is get slightly warm to the touch, and inside; But never enough to melt anything else.

Thanks! I'll watch that closely. Appreciate that photos!

Thanks! I'll watch that closely. Appreciate that photos!

If I did anything, I'd get an extension (from an Auto store) for the downpipe. The link between the pipe and the header itself. That way the actual can is pushed a little farther back and you wouldn't have the issue.

PS: The photo is also a photo of how not to wash your motorcycle. Haha. I've been riding it year round and we've had so much rain this year in Northern California, it's just a mess!

If I did anything, I'd get an extension (from an Auto store) for the downpipe. The link between the pipe and the header itself. That way the actual can is pushed a little farther back and you wouldn't have the issue.

PS: The photo is also a photo of how not to wash your motorcycle. Haha. I've been riding it year round and we've had so much rain this year in Northern California, it's just a mess!
I agree, thanks for the photos. Looking at them I was thinking the same thing if the exhaust was a little farther back it wouldn't be a problem. the exhaust I'm getting is a different brand but the same dimensions and I need to get some pipe anyway because I plan on removing the CAT and welding everything back. Without your post I most likely would have had the same problem

An extension might prevent this, but then don't forget to extend the centerstand stop (if you have one) so that it still functions as intended.

Rode the bike for 162 miles today and no melting what so ever, thank goodness.

600 miles later... still no melting. Could be that I have the baffle installed, but my bags are fine.

Last edited:
Back