• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Your thoughts on long-distance touring on the NC?

Great trip! A shame you weren't on the "Western Slope" of Colorado where I'm located, near the Black Canyon, Ouray, Telluride and the Million Dollar Highway. If you've never ridden this area, it is a MUST! And if you do, contact me via this forum and I'd love to meet up and ride with you. And thanks for the feedback on the NC as a long-distance tourer, as well.

you live in paradise!

My bike is an NC. My regular riding buddy rides a CBX500 or CB500X or whatever the number is. He runs 80-20 tires on it and put a 1" lowering kit also. He and I ride gravel and paved with them. Main difference is that the NC is taller (stock) and wades water better than his CB. Gravel is gravel, even the best riders can get displaced if riding over their experience level or just forgetting that one little time.

Recently finished my first longer trip on the NC. Previous bike was a Vstrom 650. I like the NC although I do love the 'strom's engine...
NC's Seat, however, sucks. Sheepskin helped. Fueling was a minor hassle (I have a rack installed in place of the rear seat)
I'll probably do a Spencer seat rebuild this winter. Or maybe try messing with it myself.
Rox risers helped me (a short 5'7" 28 inseam) find a comfortable spot. Recommended.
I've also added the Buell lowered pegs, which I also like a lot.
Out of the box I think the NC will tour fine, except for the seat.

Shouid have added that I rode with a guy who was on an FJR. Had no problem staying with him on the freeway or back roads; straight or twisty. He's a better rider than I am; the NC is a better bike than its rider.

I have a 2012 NC700x DCT with 27,000 miles on it and here is what I have put on in order of what goes across the finish line:

Headlight protector from Cee Bailey
22" windshield with the nut plates for the backup which I got from a guy on this website search for "nut plates" and try to get them.
Fenda Extenda from Pyramid Plastics
Wide Cramp Buster
Hand Guards
Handgrip warmers from Honda. I would recommend Oxford grips for a fraction of the cost and you can install them yourself. The Honda ones are OK but be sure the controller is sealed up with silicone otherwise it will fill with water and require replacement--like mine did.
A Bar Snake handlebar vibration damper--only necessary if you have to take out the handlebar inserts to put in Hand Guards.
A centerstand--essential for chain maintenance
A 12V socket in the trunk but be sure the fuse is located where it can be accessed. Mine wasn't and it cost me $160 to change a fuse. The body work is difficult to get off and on. I even had them put a 5A fuse in place of the 1A which is an electrical no-no but I don't plan on loading it up that much. The 1A was just too puny for words.
A custom seat from Corbin to replace the medieval torture device from Honda. Most important--get the slope adjusted so the front is higher and you are not constantly sliding downhill. Unfortunately Corbin is only located in Florida and California and is difficult to deal with. Good in the shop but bad in the office. If you buy a Corbin seat be fussy and make them do it until you are completely satisfied. Gel seats and Airhawks don't work for me. Good foam properly shaped, is the ticket.
A set of side and top box GIVI Trekkers 33L sides and 46L top. The top case has a GIVI rack on it for strapping light but bulky things down.
A set of Pelican inner liner bags from Cee Bailey designed for a Pelican 1550 case which exactly fit the 33L side cases almost like they were custom made. I gave up on the GIVI convertible liner bag.
4 tractor document cases for extra 30oz. MSR fuel bottles which gives me about 18 liters of fuel overall. This will make you feel very comfortable in Mexico from El Rosario to Guerrero Negro-a notorious long fuel-less stretch of road. If you have fuel concerns----TAKE IT EASY (50-55 mph) and you will achieve 68 mpg...You will have 4.66 gallons onboard with the extra fuel bottles which ought to give you 316 miles (no kidding) of range, but not if you are going at freeway+ speeds.
Two of the document cases go on just inside the GIVI frames on each side way up high tied up with multiple Zip ties and the other two are bolted on the top case on either side.
A rear hugger on the rear tire which didn't seem to keep things particularly clean. In fact mine broke just yesterday and I took it off and threw it away with no plan to replace it.

Happy travels, this bike is very satisfying and the DCT is superb. I also ride a Super Tenere just to keep my hand in with the shifting but I much prefer the DCT. I also had an FJR with the AE shifting option and it was a great bike---engine was like riding an electric motor. Sometimes I wonder why I sold it.

Just finished a 10,000 mile month, mostly in long day doses with a few layovers. Several days were 750+ on twisty roads and several were long interstate hauls. I've added a custom seat, windscreen, throttle lock and auxiliary fuel cell. Wired for heated gear and charging my phone and Sena while riding, and configured a hydration system since I do pretty serious long distances. Will probably add highway pegs just to get a bit of stretch in now and then.

Fuel ranges from barely making it 150 miles if at speed and in any headwind, to closer to 200 if all is perfect. The aux tank doubled my mileage and I love it. It required a special plate from a guy locally who makes them and a custom aux tank made by a friend in Portland, OR. I can mostly keep up with my husband on his BMW GS Adventure but not on steep long hills at altitude; I lose a bit of umph...but can catch up quickly on the downside.

Here's a photo of my bike kitted out for long distance:

13627011_10210229738405822_6325330932660364247_n.jpg

Just finished a 10,000 mile month, mostly in long day doses with a few layovers. Several days were 750+ on twisty roads and several were long interstate hauls. I've added a custom seat, windscreen, throttle lock and auxiliary fuel cell. Wired for heated gear and charging my phone and Sena while riding, and configured a hydration system since I do pretty serious long distances. Will probably add highway pegs just to get a bit of stretch in now and then.

Fuel ranges from barely making it 150 miles if at speed and in any headwind, to closer to 200 if all is perfect. The aux tank doubled my mileage and I love it. It required a special plate from a guy locally who makes them and a custom aux tank made by a friend in Portland, OR. I can mostly keep up with my husband on his BMW GS Adventure but not on steep long hills at altitude; I lose a bit of umph...but can catch up quickly on the downside.

Here's a photo of my bike kitted out for long distance:

View attachment 30860

Congrats on the butt lite. I envy all you rally riders and your very cool auxiliary tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back