• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Chest or ankle

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
So it’s that time of year to start thinking about upgrading gear again. I’m in a quandary on where to allocate limited resources. I have decent motorcycle specific boots (ce 2 rated all around) and a decent jacket with ce2 armor. However I’m trying to decide whether to upgrade and get better boots with more robust ankle protection, something like an external hinge, or to go with a bohn undershirt that features chest protection as well. Road riding only.

Thoughts from the group?

Reactions: MZ5
I can appreciate your decision here, Rabbit. I spend a deal of time determining where to spend limited resources on gear, too.

The data I happen to know of, suggests (like mzflorida said) that lower leg is the most-common injury in motorcycle crashes, and chest is a very low-frequency injury area, in comparison.

Personally, I don't think much of the ankle protection of a WHOLE LOT of motorcycle boots, so I tend to spend there but to be very choosy about the boots themselves.

However, I do have chest protection in my jacket, a Spidi which meets (or exceeds, in some areas) the older and significantly more rigorous CE2 spec.

In your place, if I was happy with my boots, I'd probably(?) buy the Bohn shirt. However, if I was at all unhappy or uncomfortable with the ankle protection of the boots, I'd get boots LONG before a chest protector shirt.

My boots are Forma Boulders. They are full height but trials boots. There is a small amount of impact protection but little torsion or lateral stability. Unfortunately all the boot reviews focus on off road applications and I’m less sure what I need for road riding.

My boots are Forma Boulders. They are full height but trials boots. There is a small amount of impact protection but little torsion or lateral stability. Unfortunately all the boot reviews focus on off road applications and I’m less sure what I need for road riding.
That looks like a solid boot to me. I would be happy with that if it were me.

The helmet is the only piece of gear designed to save your life.

The rest of the gear is made to lessen scrapes and road rash from slides and to disburse pressure to save broken bones usually at elbows, shoulders, knees and hips from impacts. When you see pics of people with their face shields all scratched up, that's not from sliding on their backs, that's from a chest down slide or tumble. Air bags blow up to protect the chest. I wonder why jacket manufacturers ignore that vulnerable area of the body when adding padding? MotoGP riders place an extra piece that looks like a back pad inside the chest area of their leathers before they zip them up.

The helmet is the only piece of gear designed to save your life.

The rest of the gear is made to lessen scrapes and road rash from slides and to disburse pressure to save broken bones usually at elbows, shoulders, knees and hips from impacts. When you see pics of people with their face shields all scratched up, that's not from sliding on their backs, that's from a chest down slide or tumble. Air bags blow up to protect the chest. I wonder why jacket manufacturers ignore that vulnerable area of the body when adding padding? MotoGP riders place an extra piece that looks like a back pad inside the chest area of their leathers before they zip them up.
I have seen that in racing so it did make me think chest would be a good idea.

Have you considered an airbag vest like the Helite Turtle? The tethered model is nice and simple. It provides cushioning for your chest, back, hips, and when inflated against your helmet, also provides neck stability.

Have you considered an airbag vest like the Helite Turtle? The tethered model is nice and simple. It provides cushioning for your chest, back, hips, and when inflated against your helmet, also provides neck stability.
I have but I am not ready to go that far yet. Thank you!

Back