• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How To Corrosion on the block

ash.nc700x

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I currently own a 2012 NC700X with 50,000 miles and a 2021 NC750X with 10,000 miles. I've noticed that the engine block on my 700 looks fine, while the one on my 750 has significant corrosion. Interestingly, my 700 is used for commuting year-round in all weather conditions, including English winters with lots of road salt, while my 750 is stored in the garage with a cover over it during the winter months and only used in nice weather. I'm puzzled as to what could have caused such severe corrosion on the 750. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.
see the attached photos and you will see what I am talking about.
Thanks,
Ash

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_173454.jpg
    IMG_20240406_173454.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240406_173532.jpg
    IMG_20240406_173532.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 31
it's funny back when there was a UK CB1100 forum and a USA CB 1100 forum, the guys in the UK complained about corrosion on their bikes, particularly the cylinders, which was never an issue on the USA forum

What I am not understanding is why would a bike that is well looked after getting all that corrosion but the bike that is run in every weather imaginable is fine

It may be from coolant if it has accidentally spilled or leaked onto the surface of the engine block.
Or it could be from humid air mixed with salt water. If you live relatively close to the ocean, many stormy weather events carry large amounts of seawater mixed with air. In one of your photos there are also bright spots on the surface of this black bar (engine guard?).
It won't do much damage to the alloy engine block. Just wash it off with warm water and neutral detergent and rinse with water.
If this persists, wash the entire motorcycle more often, using only neutral detergent and compressed air to remove most of the water.

Taste the white furry stuff (gingerly). It does look like what road salt turns into when left in a moist atmosphere.
Is the place you store the bike in ventilated? Condensation can be a problem if your shed is wet/damp.
If you are going to store the bike over winter dose it with with a protector like ACF-50 if you aren't already.

Back