• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Decision - NC700X vs. CB500X

Chabu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. Fairly new rider here and currently own a Honda Shadow 600. I use my bike for occasional commuting (weather permitting) and weekend rides. I've been looking for my next bike as I prefer "adventure-style" commuters. I've been trying to decide between the cb500x abs and the nc700x /abs. There are 2 things that have been holding me back from the nc - one, the price is much higher and, two, the DCT. I've been reading through threads of people's feelings around the DCT but am curious how it performs on tight slow-speed turns (which can be challenging for this new rider on my cruiser). Also, the extra money is a tough one but I can get over that if I'm extraordinarily happy :). Needless to say the DCT is intriguing and I'm in love with the false gas tank storage area!

You should post this exact same question in a CB500x forum. Then send us the link, so we can see both sides of views. I'm curious as of the results. Bottom line, the bikes make the same power, and styled similar. One has DCT and inboard storage.

On tight slow speed turns such as the MSF "Box" or U-turn in 2 lane road with DCT you need to ride the rear brake, not the clutch. A bit of practice in a parking lot and you will be fine.

It didn't even occur to me about low speed maneuvering. Then when I got the DCT I was pleasantly surprise on the throttle response. It was very smooth and did exactly what I wanted to do.

Ken

On tight slow speed turns such as the MSF "Box" or U-turn in 2 lane road with DCT you need to ride the rear brake, not the clutch. A bit of practice in a parking lot and you will be fine.

Interesting. I've ridding around the parking lots as low as 4 mph, never touched the brakes. I do brake with the rear when operating in such slow conditions, as the front, with the wheel turned, could cause you to loose balance.

Interesting. I've ridding around the parking lots as low as 4 mph, never touched the brakes. I do brake with the rear when operating in such slow conditions, as the front, with the wheel turned, could cause you to loose balance.

Same here... I use the rear one for parking maneuvers as it's way more reliable, but only when I want to... DCT on very slow speeds works like a charm! :cool:

The NC700X makes a good deal more torque than the 500 and all things equal more torque can make a bike easier to ride. The 700 makes more power at lower rpms and more torque allows the engine to pull harder at lower or rpms. The 700 motor makes about 25% more torque and while 500 has about the same horsepower as the 700 it has to turn 8500 rpms to make that horsepower. In the day to day operation of these bikes the 500 is going to have to be revved up through the gears every time to keep up with the 700 and that might get old for some and be more fun for others. In addition, if the 500 is ridden for the kind of economy the 700 has the power the 500 makes at economical lower rpms is far less than the max 25% difference between the two.

I do not have a DCT model but the 700 with DCT by all accounts is very easy to ride at slow speeds and Honda designed it to be so. There is none of the "clutch in to neutral" under a certain rpm foolishness the Yamaha auto clutch 1300 has that surprises many a rider during a slow speed turn. The Honda DCT does not go into neutral until the wheels stop turning. I am sure DCT owners will chime in.

If you are so concerned about the DCT why not consider the standard NC? That would make the price difference marginal. If you haven't already, test ride (or at least sit on) both bikes. All the advice in the world means nothing if the bike doesn't feel right for you.

If you are so concerned about the DCT why not consider the standard NC? That would make the price difference marginal. If you haven't already, test ride (or at least sit on) both bikes. All the advice in the world means nothing if the bike doesn't feel right for you.

I promised the better half (and my common senses) that my next bike would have ABS.

The weakest part of my riding skills is slow-speed maneuvering (which I continually practice), hence my paranoia about DCT.

Looks like I can't post links but I posted the same question at cb500x dot com forums in the cb500x general chat area.

Trust me slow-speed maneuvering is super easy on the DCT :)

from what you had described, I think the CB500X might be the best bet for you. It'd more than adequate as an occasional commuter and weekend tripper. It's easy to get around the city and almost the same HP output as the bigger (displacement) NCX. The CB500X has the ABS option where the NCX would require the DCT, which tags on a lot more $, which seems to be most important criteria.

Not to complicate things, but have you considered the CB500F?

I thought about the F as well but I like a bit more upright riding style. I really need to test ride an NC w/DCT so I can get a real taste and If I love it, money is secondary.

The only good reasons I can see to go to a CB500X instead of the NC700 is cheaper ABS and cheaper overall, and higher RPMs if you like to hear your bike scream. The "half a Fit engine in a scooter frame" are both untrue objections.

If you want a fast bike, buy a fast bike - neither the NC700 nor the CB500X 1/2 Fit that description.

Back