• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I something wrong with the NC700 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkie

Reaction score
Visit site
The classifieds are stuffed full of used or barely used NC700's of all kinds, right when the riding season is started? What Gives?

I'm not trying to stir up the pot, just truly interested.

Sam:cool:

Last edited:
I'd say you were looking for a fight.

to answer your question....
Yes, something is wrong.
It's a terrible motorcycle. It's badly designed, gets terrible mileage, has no pickup in the lower gears.
It's probably the worst project bike I've ever owned.
It's hard to work on, and its styling is downright ugly.
I don't know why I ever bought this Honda POS. (Point Of Sale)

At least the stock seat is comfortable.... they got that part right.

Last edited:
Where in the world are you looking? Craigslist around my state has had maybe two in the past three years posted. Just the opposite from where I'm looking. I see countless Harleys all the time and sport bikes.

From what I can see on CL, the ads are full of barely used bikes of all kinds. Motorcycles have that kind of used market. People buy them with high hopes, but then things change and they don't see much use. There are a lot of things like that. Check out used ATVs sometime... many are under 1,000 miles... and those miles occurred in the first year. I'm guilty of this myself, though I haven't sold my ATVs.

Same is true with musical instruments and fitness equipment... lots of used stuff, some of which is never actually used.

Now if you're looking here on the form and asking why you're seeing a lot of NCs for sale... might be due to this being the NC forum... just say'n.

"Where in the world are you looking?" Duh!!!!! The bikes for sale on this forum for one.

"I'd say you were looking for a fight." If I were looking for a fight, believe me you'd know it.

I believe that tomorrow, my 2012 Burgman will be sold and picked up and in a very short time, I may buy a 2016 NC700 DCT, so as much as I like the bike, I've never been on a forum with so many newer models for sale.

Sam:)

Last edited:
Im sort of a little confused by the assertion there are lots of used / low mileage NC700's for sale
I did a search tempest for NC700 in Motorcyles/scooters and found many still 2014 and 2015 unsold at dealers but only a very few used. the 3rd closest was over 1000 miles away

I see a few on here - but then the 2016 just came out , so some people i assume are moving up off of 4 year old 2012 bikes - again an assumption

Also most people know - NOW is the time to try and sell - so i am unsure its too much to worry about - Just my Humble opinion

For many too (myself included) their NC was their first bike. And while it's a great first bike, like many many people, they feel the need for something bigger. I'd wager that many of the guys selling low mileage NC's are doing so to upgrade to something bigger.

Sam, your question, as benign as you imply it's intent is, comes across as more than a little coy, especially when you quite aggressively reply with a pretty confrontational attitude.

I dare say if you are truly interested in an NCX, you will spend the time to go through many more threads here and on the internet, finding many with very happy NC700 owners, and others who found it a bit lacking in the emotional thrill of a powerful, faster bike, who just didn't realize that the NC is a bit different in the whole scheme of the usual motorcycle outlook regarding engine characteristics etc., and moved on.

No, there is nothing "wrong" with the NC700/750X.

As this is the NC700 forum, surely you must realize that there are going to be owners who take it as a bit of a potshot from someone casting aspersions (albeit with a denial of doing so) who doesn't own one yet.

Contact the people selling them and ask them why they are selling.

The people on the forum that like the NC and aren't selling probably can't answer your question.

Old Chinese proverb "dude buying 80th bike makes many mistakes, what's one more?" comes to mind.

Last summer a fellow riding a bike of another brand, a small volume premium brand made the same observation. Obviously something wrong with the 700 for so many to be on Cycle Trader. A search of his bike turned up more of them for sale. Anecdotal of course, there are many variables to why bikes sell and resell used but this thread touches on some of them.

Contact the people selling them and ask them why they are selling.

The people on the forum that like the NC and aren't selling probably can't answer your question.

This is pretty much the most logical and bottom line truth- go through the good, the bad, and the ugly, and see if your interest is still there, or you get spooked.

After all this time you are on this forum, you still look unsure about what you are about to buy...maybe you should pass ?...No, I'm just joking, go buy one then you'll see what is wrong with this bike...nothing ! It's just about the wrong persons who bought this bike :rolleyes:

If I wanted to sell an item, I'd post it on the forum devoted to that item. That way, I'd be able to reach more people who might want to buy said item. So, if I wanted to sell my NC, I'd post it on a forum frequented by NC aficionados. I think the OP is confusing cause and effect. There are lots of NCs for sale on this site because this is the best place to sell one.

To be fair to the original poster, if I opened up a classified section in a newspaper or went online looking for used bikes, and the first thing I see is a seemingly disproportional amount of the model I'm interested in for sale, well, ya I can imagine it might be cause for further poking at.

Now to some, who were damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead regardless, because they had already made their minds up and had justifications stacked on the pro side, well they would probably see this as a sign that they *had* to get the bike, because there were so many good deals out there! :D

Others, who were on the fence or doubting and were actually trying to talk themselves out of it, would maybe take it the opposite way, and make connections where there were none to make, and see it as: "oh there's trouble, just look at all of them for sale, gotta be something wrong" :eek:

Unfortunately trying to get all that latter example future buyer's proverbial angst out in a few short sentences on a forum where the percentage is pretty high with liking or loving their steeds, responses can get a bit testy I guess ;)

The classifieds are stuffed full of used or barely used NC700's of all kinds, right when the riding season is started? What Gives?
You will find that <most> people that want to sell their bike will advertise it right when the riding season is starting...Rather than say, in the middle of Winter. In addition, since the NC700x has only been out since 2012, many motorcycles you see for sale are going to be.....You guessed it.....nearly new!

Lastly, and just as important is the demographic that I think represents a significant (but not majority) of NC700x buyers: New and returning riders, and frankly, once some of those riders get their feet wet, the NC doesn't do it for them anymore. I mean, we are talking about a 500+ lb bike with what...48 horsepower? Not a very visceral or emotional thrill, believe me...

The NC is more of a motorcycling tool, rather than say, a HD Road King or BMW S1000RR which are motorcycling jewels. Their level of (financial) commitment keeps most casual users away. The NC is completely different. Little commitment means cutting the cord is easy too! Selling your BMW K1600GT after 3,000 miles and 1 year will cost you in depreciation more than a NC700x costs!

Last edited:
You will find that <most> people that want to sell their bike will advertise it right when the riding season is starting...Rather than say, in the middle of Winter. In addition, since the NC700x has only been out since 2012, many motorcycles you see for sale are going to be.....You guessed it.....nearly new!
This.

If you're not seeing other makes, new or nearly new in the for sale section, then you're not looking at any other motorcycles. Before deciding on the NC, I was looking at a v-strom and versys. They both had 12' and newer with next to no miles all over the place. Same thing when I bought my KLR 1.5yrs ago, new ones everywhere.

Lastly, it's also tax return season, people have more cash this time of year.

I think very highly of mine, but may sell it anyway. Still undecided. There are lots of reasons why people sell perfectly good motorcycles.

I just bought my NC700 this year. it's a 2014 and had 4 miles on it when I bought it. I'm not ashamed to tell you I paid 5k out the door for this bike. I own a 2006 HD Road King Custom. I ride that bike when I take the Mrs along on weekends here and there. But I think I'm going to like riding this NC more. I commute as well and the NC is a perfect match. It's such a clever bike. My only complaint has been the seat, which is currently being addressed by Seat Concepts. Otherwise, I love the fact that I got a Honda for a song and plan on getting a lot of life out of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back