• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I something wrong with the NC700 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that motorcycle riders in general are notorious for changing bikes like changing hats.

^^^^^This is me. I am surprised that I haven't given up on my little NC. The problem is, it's just too good of a bike for commuting around large cities. This is the primary reason I keep it and overlook the items I do not like. It's a darn good bike.

I am not seeing any used around my area, what I do continue to see are new Gen1 models continue to come in.

I bought my dealers last 2014 early this year, and have stopped in a few times to ask about the 2016's.

Upon picking up my bike last week, he had 3 brand new NC's on the floor. A 2012, 2013 and 2014 (red, black, and silver...not in any order...and all manuals).

And to the recent point of changing bikes like hats. Well, I dont wear hats, so yes...I change bikes often. It used to be 12-16 month turn around. This time, I hope to keep the NC for my son to ride and I keep adding bikes...not replace them.

"I'm not trying to stir up the pot, just truly interested."

With the way you responded to some posts, it sounds like that is exactly what you intended. I don't know what your true intentions are, but if it's coming across as a jerk then you well succeeded.

I've only owned my 2012 NC700X for 4 months and 4K miles and find it to be a great little bike except for the seat. As for poor gas mileage, I'm averaging 68.5 mpg. Don't have many used where I live for sale and very few new ones. unless ordered. Hope new Sargent seat coming in will make it a great little bike. It's not a BMW nor a cruiser but for its designed use it works well. Take two aspirin and a nap.

Wow! There's a lot of emotion around this post. It's like I've stumbled into an oil thread or something.

To answer the question, I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with the bike. Like many have said, SOME riders are notorious for changing bikes a lot. SOME riders buy it as a first or returning bike and then "move up." SOME riders buy it then life happens and causes them to either need money or otherwise just need to get rid of some extra stuff.

Now, for the few people I've talked to who actually hate the bike, it is because they wanted a hot rod and for whatever reason bought an NC instead. A while back, I saw a NC parked outside a KTM dealership. I walked in to talk to the owner and found out it was the 20 year old mechanic who really wanted a KTM but could only afford the Honda. He did nothing but bad mouth the little NC because it wasn't fast enough and he couldn't even keep up with his friends on their GSX-R's and Ninjas. He had no interest in practicality. He wanted MORE POWER!!!!

On the other hand, this bike doesn't really feed the "image" that many are seeking. It's not a sport bike. It's not a cruiser. It's not a true dual sport (for those who disagree, please forgive). It is its own thing. For some riders, image is everything. A friend of mine, bless him, bought a Harley and all the trimmings that go with it. The jacket, the boots, the sunglasses, etc. He wanted to roll up to a bar, get off his bike and walk inside decked out like the Harley catalog threw up on him. He wanted to be a big bad biker. Sadly, after three years and less than 1,000 miles, he sold his beloved HD. He still wears the gear when he goes out, but tells people that he had to sell the bike and just hasn't found one he likes yet.

Also, I've been keeping my eye out for a small ~125-175 1970's UJM to tinker on and have noticed a sharp spike in prices now that riding season is upon us. So it's true, lots of people sell at the start of the season and seem to want a premium for what they're selling.

That's just my two cents.

Last year, the CEO of the company where I work, bought the NC700DCT, he wanted it because his big Suzuki M109 was just too heavy (he traded in the Suzuki for the Honda). A few months later he also bought a new 2015 Goldwing for an excellent price. He decided he did like cruiser-like motorcycles more. The dealer than gave him a heck of a deal on a 2015 Suzuki C50T so he traded the Honda NC700 DCT in for the C50T. He just prefers cruiser style bikes more. Someone on here bought the same NC700DCT from the dealer and now has a NC700DCT with a Sergeant seat and bags and topcase. Just a preference thing; people like the looks of the Honda NC700 but then decide they like riding other styles better.

My question was as I said earlier, just an observation, with no malicious intent implied, subliminally or overtly.

Honestly (The only way I lead my life) I have never heard anything negative about the "700" line of bikes and from the first time I heard of them I've been a fan.

I have been trying to make up my mind regarding either the "CTX" or the "C" model.

Some of you, as is typical of the "Brand loyal" over sensitive owners, (Common by the way) just over react and immediately defend your property, like you have been challenged---to the death!:) I studied this in Psychology, when I started my college years and see it on Sooooo many forums and I am a member of LOTS of them because aside from a few "Exotics," I've had all types of bikes and have watched the mind set and arrogance of the Zealot for a long time.

First of all I was looking for a fight, then because I answered some veiled childish challenges, I'm a jerk. Oh well:)

Now I do like this:

"Old Chinese proverb "dude buying 80th bike makes many mistakes, what's one more?" comes to mind." I see you are a fan of Cornfucious like I am!

No mistakes my friend just the ability to buy and enjoy as many bikes/ scooters as I want or need at the time. I'd rather change bikes than change tires:) My bad?

So many bikes---so little time:)

Sam

I first started riding altogether in the spring of 2013 at age 32. I'd always wanted to ride/learn how to ride, but never got a bike. The fever had been building for many years, however, and that spring I spied a sweet deal on a Honda CRF230 dirtbike on Craigslist. I bought it and immediately started zooming around the miles of dirt roads near my home. I knew though, that I'd soon need a full blown street bike.

So after about 2 months or so of riding that dirt bike and getting comfortable, I started seriously bike shopping for a real deal motorcycle. I purchased my NC brand new in April 2013 (2012 MY NC). But then that summer got cray cray... in a bike sort of way... I became obsessed with bikes.

Long story short, that summer, I bought and sold a total of 6 bikes (I know right).

- Honda CRF230 (dirtbike)
- 2012 NC 700
- Yamaha XT225
- Yamaha V-Star 1100
- 2012 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
- Some mid-eighties auto trans Suzuki cruiser type bike (bought it for the wife... it didn't take... sold 3 weeks later)

Ultimately, by the end of that year, all I had left was my NC. It was the one I kept. However, there's still a big part of me that regrets parting with that V-Strom. Some day (and I've already told my wife) I will have that bike again.

Anywho... just to give an example of what some fools do with their bikes.

Some of you, as is typical of the "Brand loyal" over sensitive owners, (Common by the way) just over react and immediately defend your property, like you have been challenged---to the death!:) I studied this in Psychology, when I started my college years and see it on Sooooo many forums and I am a member of LOTS of them because aside from a few "Exotics," I've had all types of bikes and have watched the mind set and arrogance of the Zealot for a long time.

First of all I was looking for a fight, then because I answered some veiled childish challenges, I'm a jerk. Oh well:)

Sam

I think you're digging a deeper hole with the comments in your last post. Brand loyalty? I didn't sense that in people's replies to your query. I may have missed it but I didn't see anyone defending the Honda brand. I certainly have no brand loyalty to Honda. They just happened to have built a bike that met my needs this time around.

I have to wonder, with your psychology education, if you thought about how you worded your thread title and how people might react to it. I think this thread just started off on a bad note since post one.

Last edited:
Wow! There's a lot of emotion around this post. It's like I've stumbled into an oil thread or something.

To answer the question, I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with the bike. Like many have said, SOME riders are notorious for changing bikes a lot. SOME riders buy it as a first or returning bike and then "move up." SOME riders buy it then life happens and causes them to either need money or otherwise just need to get rid of some extra stuff.

Now, for the few people I've talked to who actually hate the bike, it is because they wanted a hot rod and for whatever reason bought an NC instead. A while back, I saw a NC parked outside a KTM dealership. I walked in to talk to the owner and found out it was the 20 year old mechanic who really wanted a KTM but could only afford the Honda. He did nothing but bad mouth the little NC because it wasn't fast enough and he couldn't even keep up with his friends on their GSX-R's and Ninjas. He had no interest in practicality. He wanted MORE POWER!!!!

On the other hand, this bike doesn't really feed the "image" that many are seeking. It's not a sport bike. It's not a cruiser. It's not a true dual sport (for those who disagree, please forgive). It is its own thing. For some riders, image is everything. A friend of mine, bless him, bought a Harley and all the trimmings that go with it. The jacket, the boots, the sunglasses, etc. He wanted to roll up to a bar, get off his bike and walk inside decked out like the Harley catalog threw up on him. He wanted to be a big bad biker. Sadly, after three years and less than 1,000 miles, he sold his beloved HD. He still wears the gear when he goes out, but tells people that he had to sell the bike and just hasn't found one he likes yet.

Also, I've been keeping my eye out for a small ~125-175 1970's UJM to tinker on and have noticed a sharp spike in prices now that riding season is upon us. So it's true, lots of people sell at the start of the season and seem to want a premium for what they're selling.

That's just my two cents.

That's a damn fine two cents right there! Thanks for the post.

Is there something I missed here? Do you people get lied to on this Forum or something, to be so sensitive?

If I have somehow offended any of you then I apologize. Please forgive me as I am repentant and will never, ever ask another question subject to misinterpretation regarding the NC700 or anything else.

Sam:)

Is there something I missed here? Do you people get lied to on this Forum or something, to be so sensitive?

If I have somehow offended any of you then I apologize. Please forgive me as I am repentant and will never, ever ask another question subject to misinterpretation regarding the NC700 or anything else.

Sam:)

Sam :)))

Out of all the honest and forthcoming replies you did garner with your rather vague and highly subjective query, you choose to reply not to any of them, but instead carry on in the same vein- ingenuous seeming but ladled with obvious sarcasm. I don't believe the sensitivity is only on one side, in this matter.

don't have brand loyalty: in the past 9 years I have bought 5 new bikes; 2 Suzukis, 1 Honda, 1 BMW, 1 Kawasaki; still have 1 Suzuki, 1 Honda, 1 Kawasaki. 3 different bikes for 3 different styles of riding; cruiser, standard, and motard....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back