• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750x's New Technology Package

Rydinon

Reaction score
Visit site
In my introductory thread, @CamaroEric replied to my question about the differences between the older NC700x and the '21+ NC750x by saying,
"You'll want a 2021 or newer NC750X because it has a lower seat height and weighs less, if you are ok with the technology package."

I have generally believed that the manufacturers improve bikes over time. I assume his description of the 'technology package' refers to throttle by wire, traction control, and the different modes of (street, sport, rain, etc. whatever their names) engine management.

Are there any complaints about this change? Any downsides? Have there been any problems with it? Does one need specialized tools to service these bikes such as a computer code reader?

I just finished looking at a BMW f700GS and taking it for a test drive. While on a freeway, I wanted to see what the bike would do if I wanted to pass a car, so I rolled on the throttle in top gear from 60mph. Since that bike too has throttle by wire, the grip turned very easily, and I opened it all the way to the stop. The bike accelerated well, but it was unlike any bike I have ever been on. When you grab too much throttle on a carbureted or FI bike, the engine clearly is trying to increase revs based on the amount of fuel/air it gets. It is running hard to accelerate. The GS seemed to be accelerating as determined by the computer. No doubt the NC750 has the same feel.

I confess to having a hard time putting this into words and describing what I felt accurately, but I really felt disconnected from the engine for a few moments. No doubt this is something one gets used to. After all, fighter planes and big airliners are all fly by wire.

I have heard others complain about fuel injection and ride by wire, but I honestly have no such feelings. You twist the grip and it goes faster you back off the grip and it goes slower. Having ridden FI bikes since 2008 I do feel they respond best to smooth inputs..roll the throttle on, and don't chop it when slowing down. As Mr Miagi might say "roll on, roll off".

The technical package on the 21 and up NC's is kind of complicated for those that like to change things up. Like the color mode bar, band width bar etc etc, but being simple as I am I figured out how to either turn it off or not mess with it. I set the clock and then chose what I wanted to see on my dash and set it for that and it's there the same as my old school bikes every time I ride.

9aZ1eROh.jpg

FBMeloRh.jpg

I have to go ride and meet my Thursday group for lunch and a ride, but will check in later to explain more.

The technical package on the 21 and up NC's is kind of complicated...
OMG, did you really have to attach an aftermarket thermometer to you bike? It is not part of the instrument panel's readout like my VStrom or ST?! Honda sure designed this bike to a price point. :D

LOL yes I added an aquarium thermometer. I got used to seeing the temps on my other bikes. I'm surprised Honda didn't include it.

AS you can see by watching the tutes I linked to below, there is more to the 21 and up electronics package

I think the 21 up is larger and easier to read

I have mine set up to tell me basics, with no extra colors or lighting changes which I set in the first couple of days and have left it like that for the last 3 years 42,000 miles.

Clock, fuel tank level, tach, gear position, mode, volt meter, odometer (also use Trip A for miles on each days ride which I record, and Trip B for miles on fuel tank.)

Other than that I don't change it. Just ride it.

Here's a previous gen tute on the electronics

and here's the 2021 up tute on the electronics

I have heard others complain about fuel injection and ride by wire, but I honestly have no such feelings. You twist the grip and it goes faster you back off the grip and it goes slower. Having ridden FI bikes since 2008 I do feel they respond best to smooth inputs..roll the throttle on, and don't chop it when slowing down. As Mr Miagi might say "roll on, roll off".
Smooth inputs? I can think of any number of carbureted engines I’ve operated that would absolutely refuse anything but smooth inputs. My SR500 with an overly-large Mikuni VM springs to mind. It was a wild animal—no sudden movement!

As for the thermometer, my car has one, and I have never looked at it unless Mrs. German asks me to. My Himalayan has one, and I never look at it. I don’t miss it on the NC.

LOL yes I added an aquarium thermometer. I got used to seeing the temps on my other bikes. I'm surprised Honda didn't include it.
As for the thermometer, my car has one, and I have never looked at it unless Mrs. German asks me to. My Himalayan has one, and I never look at it. I don’t miss it on the NC.
Every car/truck we have has an ambient temperature display and we look at them often. The Goldwing has one, too. I wish Honda had put it on the NC and CRF. It is a desirable feature for us.

Well,if you ride through winter over in Europe like some do, something to measure the temp can be useful, if only to warn you the roads might be icy.
Fair enough. I ride through much of winter, but the distances are short, so I judge road conditions by looking out the window. I’m not going far enough to experience any real changes, although I have to allow for altitude. Living by the ocean, there can be a real difference between my house (85 m), and the high point of my commute (150 m).

Because I ride everyday as long as there isn't ice or accumulated snow on the road, I'm kind of a weather/temperature nut. Watch the 11 P.M. news just for tomorrows weather, have 3 weather apps on my phone. Like today I'm getting ready for my ride, it looks nice out looking out the window but how do I dress? Again checking the weather app on my PC it says it's 42 degrees out right now, going up to a high of 52 today. For me that means jacket and pants with liners in, and medium weight gloves and a balaclava.

Sometimes I'll be on a ride and feel colder than I should, or hotter, so I use the thermometer to check the actual temperature where I am at the time because I'm live up on a ridge, but ride down into valleys, and along creeks and rivers and the temp can vary a lot from up high to down low. I find 5 degrees can make a heck of a difference on how it feels.

Could I live without a thermometer on the NC? Sure. But it was like $10, so why not have it on there to satisfy my own curiosity about the temperature?

On my daily log, which I have kept for years, I also record what bike I'm riding, the weather conditions, how many miles I rode this ride, how many days of the month I've ridden this ride, how many days of the year I've ridden this ride so having a thermometer on the bike helps with that (but again I could get that temp info on a phone app)

rbgJ2YTh.jpg

I will add to this temp discussion. I find the temp function on my VStrom indispensable. Well, perhaps not, but I do use it a lot. Press and hold the lever for a couple of seconds and the readout changes from time of day to temp and v.v. The Suzi also has a snowflake that appears when the temp is a few degrees above freezing to warn you of icing conditions. I've had that appear once - it flickers on and off and I did find that distracting.

Back when I did a lot of winter weather riding, I would look at the websites for my state and county road / bridge temperatures sensors. Also added a external temperature gauge to my winter bike.

Last edited:
Back