• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Opinion on Dunlop Sportmax 2

TripleA

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a used NC700X-DCT that has new Dunlop Sportmax 2‘s on. I have read Dunlops web site and others. Just looking for opinions on this tire from people that have used them. Wet road performance is very important for me. Looking to hear about them. Thaks, Dav.

Thread moved to Tire Tech Talk sub forum.

Bought a used NC700X-DCT that has new Dunlop Sportmax 2‘s on. I have read Dunlops web site and others. Just looking for opinions on this tire from people that have used them. Wet road performance is very important for me. Looking to hear about them. Thaks, Dav.
Sadly I suspect that Dunlop Sportmax 2's are fairly low tech budget tires. Many of the branded names will give you much better wet grip, such as Metzeler 01, Michelin Pilot Road 4/5/6, Pirelli, Bridgestone etc. I found the Sportmax to be 'glassy' in the wet and could not develop confidence in them. Maybe it was more in my mind than in reality. However, my NC750X now feels much more planted and comfortable now that I've swopped to Continental Trail Attack 3 (see my post on those)

If you can afford it, you will definitely get better cold and wet grip if you bin the Sportsmax.

If they are anything like the factory mounted Dunlop D609(F), then they are useless in wet conditions. I replaced my tyres within the first 3000km, because the rear slipped on wet tarmac, even on low speed.
Regards, Dick

If they are anything like the factory mounted Dunlop D609(F), then they are useless in wet conditions. I replaced my tyres within the first 3000km, because the rear slipped on wet tarmac, even on low speed.
Regards, Dick
I must apologise. My comments were also relating to the Dunlop Trailmax D609, NOT the Sportmax, of which I have no experience. I totally agree with Dick’s comments.

The Sportmax Roadsport 2 is quite different from the D609, but what concerns me is that Dunlop themselves basically describe it as “well, it’s better than the GPR300.” If they can’t think of anything better to say about it, I might look elsewhere.

EDIT: if they are already on the bike, and in good condition, I’d just ride it in varied conditions to judge them for yourself. If they set off alarm bells, start shopping for an upgrade.

The roadsmart2 tires are dangerous on wet roads. I know different tire, but same mfgr. I have had nothing but grief with Dunlap tires.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
The roadsmart2 tires are dangerous on wet roads. I know different tire, but same mfgr. I have had nothing but grief with Dunlap tires.
I don’t think any tire with a screw in it would be a good choice on wet roads. And unless that screw is factory-installed, it does not reflect in any way on Dunlop quality. I still suspect the Roadsmart 2 is only an average affordable tire, but road hazards are not a failing of the tire.

The screw falls under grief. To elucidate, the tire could not handle a wet road at 25 mph limit without the screw.

Back