• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Poor Man's Dale's Rack

FCAsheville

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Really happy with this project. Made a DIY rack out of a black cutting board.

Created a template with cardboard. Cut the cutting board material with a jigsaw and used a router to finish the edges. Cut the hole with a hole saw/power drill combo. Did the bend with a heat gun and bench vise. Materials were about $35 ($30 cutting board and $5 in nuts & bolts). Probably gonna drill a few more holes for attachment points. In a pinch this can still be a pillion seat for a short distance.

DaleRack.jpg

Good job. I always thought a cutting board would be a good material for that job. I am surprised it cost $30 though lol.

Good job. I always thought a cutting board would be a good material for that job. I am surprised it cost $30 though lol.
Black is a lil more and I bought one big enough to make two... good thing because the first attempt broke... ended up a blessing as the cuts, etc were better on the second pass.

Is the Dale Rack no longer made? I don't know the history of the thing, but I have Solidworks, skill, and resources to re-engineer and source something like it...

No longer made, and in my research Dale at some point said it would be well over $300 for the same quality and materials.

I’m cheap. I know Dale’s rack was A+ in every way but I still would have gone the DIY route if it was available.

Thanks for sharing! This is a great idea. Might have to try my hand at this. I was thinking maybe a rubber plug or something to prevent water from pooling by the gas cap?

Thanks for sharing! This is a great idea. Might have to try my hand at this. I was thinking maybe a rubber plug or something to prevent water from pooling by the gas cap?
Not sure exactly what area you might be concerned about water pooling, but the tray that surrounds the fuel tank filler neck has a drain hole and a hose that routes liquid to the ground.

Not sure exactly what area you might be concerned about water pooling, but the tray that surrounds the fuel tank filler neck has a drain hole and a hose that routes liquid to the ground.
I'm just theory crafting at this point. This is also good to know, thank you.

Back