• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shell Dex-Cool antifreeze ???

One uses distilled water to avoid mineral build-up. The other paranoia is simply lack of understanding.

East bay Andy, the plain yellow-bottle Prestone I bought a couple-few years ago for my NCX met Honda's stated requirements, and has worked well.

ya,you are probably right, but I'm using the Honda as I'd rather be safe[r]

Because the fluids are so critically important to the longevity and long term reliability of a vehicle for my piece of mind I stick w/OEM fluids. Why second guess Honda?

The idea is not to second guess Honda. It should also be kept in mind that Honda doesn't make, or develop any of the fluids in their vehicles. The service manuals, and to a lesser extent the owners manual, list the specifications and requirements the fluids have to meet. With some understanding and research it's possible to find fluids, from top line companies that make compatible products that meet Honda's specifications. The payoff is $$$. From having worked in dealerships, I know the markup is 100% on these things. Even discount suppliers are significantly more expensive than high quality 3rd party alternatives.

Now, if peace of mind is worth the high price tag, then buy bottles with Honda labels.

^^^ Yes. Just look at pricing on accessories from Honda or Yamaha or Suzuki and compare them to what top-line companies offer. The value of an aftermarket becomes readily apparent. You can get a diversity of products for the same or less money that might meet your needs better. It's not like the engine and radiator were developed around incredibly specific fluids, just around a spec that plenty of companies can adhere to.

The internet has made pricing very competitive. I've bought many Honda fluids that way and don't consider the pricing high.
But I agree I would not buy the Honda NC saddle bags for example at half the price they ask. The internet also allows for comparative pricing and these people know this.
Brick and mortar stores although never going away are dropping like flies because of the likes of Amazon etc. They all have web sites in order to stay in business.
Blue Skies Green Lights.

I got the honda oil because I found it at a decent price and I knew it'd be good enough. The Prestone, I got because it was convenient and not...super expensive. I probably would have spent a buck or two more if I wasn't doing the valve check that day and it was only a few bucks more, but almost nothing decent is cheap at autozone. lol

Back