• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help So Many Options and I Don’t Know What I’m Doing

Desert Rose

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m new to forums. I hope I’m doing this correctly. I own 5 motorcycles, but I’ve never had a back tail case or side bags on any of them. I bought this 2015 Honda NC700X to travel for at least a week at a time. It came with grab bars and a back rack. I’d rather not have to replace them when purchasing a back top case and soft detachable side bags. My question- is the grab bar/back rack on my bike compatible with any top case or saddle bag support system, or will I need to remove it? How do I know if the tail case and mount system I buy will attach to the back rack I have? Also, I‘d like the support brackets for side bags that don’t look ugly when the bags are off and I’d love them not to cost an arm and a leg. Seriously. I’m leaning towards a quick detach tail hard case and quick detach soft side bags. Thank you all very much. IMG_3249.jpegIMG_3247.jpeg

Last edited:
That is the Honda accessory tail rack. The only case designed to mount on it is the Honda top case. Nothing else fits unless you modify it or fabricate some type of mount on your own. Sadly, Honda sells that optional rack, then locks the buyer in to using only a Honda case.

Could mount a soft bag. Cortech, Oxford and Nelson Rigg all have good options

I purchased a 2019 X with a Shad top box. It is not pretty without the top box, but looks very practical and functional with it installed.

That is the Honda accessory tail rack. The only case designed to mount on it is the Honda top case. Nothing else fits unless you modify it or fabricate some type of mount on your own. Sadly, Honda sells that optional rack, then locks the buyer in to using only a Honda case.
Ok. Where would I find a Honda top case? Does that mean any side luggage mounting systems wouldn't fit on my bike with my current grab bar and rack??

I haven't a clue....
I believe 670cc called it above. If you’re after hard luggage I would look at Shad and their 3p mount system. I think it’s the smallest aftermarket system for mounting. The best system is the OEM luggage for being inconspicuous but it’s eye watering expensive. Best soft bags are likely the Sw Motech blaze bags. The issue with any soft bags is they will make refueling more difficult. Givi is a great system but definitely visible if the bags are off.

Ok. Where would I find a Honda top case? Does that mean any side luggage mounting systems wouldn't fit on my bike with my current grab bar and rack??
If you (or a member here) can find the part number for the Honda top case, you may be able to look for old stock or used on eBay. You can mount hard side cases on those grab bars, again using the one and only option, Honda cases. Otherwise you’ll have improvise.

If you scrap the Honda accessory grad bars and rack and go back to stock grab bars, you might have more aftermarket options. I guess it depends what you‘re looking for in the end.

No aftermarket ( non Honda accessory ) top case or hard saddlebag racks are compatible with the Honda tail rack on that 2015 NC700X. What is possible is to buy the Givi E215 or Z255 universal top case rack and mount it on top of the Honda rack. Holes would have to be drilled in the Honda rack to bolt the E251 or Z255 base plate on top of it. I understand that Kappa luggage cases use the same 3 point mounting locations as Givi Monokey cases do. The pictures are of my 2013 with the Honda tail rack with and without a Z255 base plate on top of the Honda rack. I have never gotten around to drilling the holes and using that Z255. I like the Honda top case that came with this bike but I also have a couple of Givi cases sitting around that I could use in its place.

The Honda tail rack replaced the original grab rails so going back to stock then using aftermarket racks for top case and side cases means finding some Honda grab rails. I know that Givi and SW Motech ( I've had both) make side case racks with detachable mounts for a clean look when the cases aren't mounted but it will run into some $.

IMG_3849.jpegIMG_3848.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want you can go with a complete soft saddlebag, tail pack set up using your existing luggage rack

B0HC3XJh.jpg

My old NC700 had a Honda rack, but I somehow managed to mount the Givi base plate to it (had to use different bolts IIRC) to hold my Givi E370, which I just so have up for auction on eBay:

It worked so well when I bought a newer NC I transplanted the rack to the new bike and now use a bigger E450 top case.

Attachments

• 20170713_164056.jpg
    20170713_164056.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Back