• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's stopping you from getting an AT

I toyed with the idea of an AT or a Super Ten for months and bought a used KLR instead. I couldn't be happier with my decision, because I don't even think about buying another adv bike anymore.

I totally get the AT idea but.....

For the type of riding that I do, the VFR1200 w/DCT would be the ticket. If I wanted what the AF offered, similar bikes (used) could be had for much less $$$ (and weight).

A new Kawaski Versys 300 can probably go anywhere the AT can for less than 1/2 the cost and almost 200 lbs less weight.

$$$ and my next bike, I will probably go back to cruiser or touring style of bike. I really do like the nc700x; however, I still have my 2007 C50 Boulevard (now with 80,000+ miles) and find myself enjoying the ride on the C50 more than the NC. I don't ride off-road, prefer asphalt to gravel (I know how to ride gravel, just don't like it), and can ride my cruiser on the few gravel roads I encounter. The next bike will probably be either an Indian Scout or a now discontinued Victory Cross Country (but I can change my mind). My problem, I ride the bikes so many miles, no trade-in or resale value left (heck my almost 4 year old NC has 35,000 miles on it). I will keep these bikes until they no longer are usable and part them out. Oh yea, and no more chains on any new bike I get for the stable.

I toyed with the idea of an AT or a Super Ten for months and bought a used KLR instead. I couldn't be happier with my decision, because I don't even think about buying another adv bike anymore.

I like all of those. I do prefer honda to other manufacturers. But that may be my down fall.

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

I totally get the AT idea but.....

For the type of riding that I do, the VFR1200 w/DCT would be the ticket. If I wanted what the AF offered, similar bikes (used) could be had for much less $$$ (and weight).

A new Kawaski Versys 300 can probably go anywhere the AT can for less than 1/2 the cost and almost 200 lbs less weight.

Yeah I'm on the same page. I am not a crazy dirt rider. It's all pavement pounding for me. The vfr1200x looks amazing. I found one for a very reasonable price that I'm going to go look at. At least sit on it.

$$$ and my next bike, I will probably go back to cruiser or touring style of bike. I really do like the nc700x; however, I still have my 2007 C50 Boulevard (now with 80,000+ miles) and find myself enjoying the ride on the C50 more than the NC. I don't ride off-road, prefer asphalt to gravel (I know how to ride gravel, just don't like it), and can ride my cruiser on the few gravel roads I encounter. The next bike will probably be either an Indian Scout or a now discontinued Victory Cross Country (but I can change my mind). My problem, I ride the bikes so many miles, no trade-in or resale value left (heck my almost 4 year old NC has 35,000 miles on it). I will keep these bikes until they no longer are usable and part them out. Oh yea, and no more chains on any new bike I get for the stable.

I agree. Quite frankly I'm bored with the nc. I could find a dozen or so used bikes that would suit my purpose that are "High milage" but that doesn't scare me away.... My truck has 180k on it and still runs like it's new. Don't look new tho lol

if i even wanted something of that displacement for 50/50 riding --

KTM 1090 Adventure R Specifications
Engine Type: 2-Cylinder, 4-Stroke, 75° V-Twin, DOHC
Displacement: 1050 cc
Bore/Stroke: 103/63 mm
Starter: Electric; 12V 8.6Ah
Transmission: 6 Gears
Fuel System: Keihin EFI, 52 mm Throttle Bodies
Lubrication: Pressure Lubrication, 3 Eaton Pumps
Cooling: Liquid Cooling
Clutch: PASC Slipper Clutch, Hydraulically Operated
Ignition: Keihin EMS with Ride-By-Wire, Dual Ignition
Frame: Chrome-moly Steel Trellis
Subframe: Aluminum, Powder Coated

Handlebar: Aluminum, Tapered, Ø 28/22 mm
Front Suspension: WP USD Ø 48 mm
Rear Suspension: WP PDS Monoshock
Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 220 mm/8.7 in; 220 mm/8.7 in
Front/Rear Brakes: Disc Brake 320 mm/287 mm
Front/Rear Wheels: 2.50 x 21”, 4.50 x 18”
Front/Rear Tires: 90/90-21”; 150/70-18”
Steering Head Angle: 26º
Wheelbase: 1,580 mm ± 15 mm / 62.2 ± 0.6 in
Ground Clearance: 250 mm / 9.8 in
Seat Height: 890 mm / 35 in
Tank Capacity: 23 L / 6.1 gal
Wet Weight (without fuel): 207 kg/ 456.4 lbs

As far as I know, it's only offered with the DCT. Auto trans bikes just aren't my thing. Call me a purist. But if it came with a regular manual trans, I'm sure I'd at least be looking for one at a dealer to check out. But no, I'm not interested in any automatic motorcycles, sorry.

Offer it with a normal transmission and we'll talk.

Some other things that I find driving me for a different bike.... Abs, some people don't like it..... I think it's a lifesaver. Traction control. Same reason. The other thing is when I need to get up a decent Hill at highway speeds on the nc struggles to get up an booogy

As far as I know, it's only offered with the DCT. Auto trans bikes just aren't my thing. Call me a purist. But if it came with a regular manual trans, I'm sure I'd at least be looking for one at a dealer to check out. But no, I'm not interested in any automatic motorcycles, sorry.

Which one the africa twin? They have it as a manual. Same with the super r and the vfr1200x. The dct is an option on all those as well.

You are misinformed. The Africa Twin is available with a manual or with an automatic transmission. So, it's time to start looking and talking! :D

IMG_0109.jpg

Last edited:
You are misinformed. The Africa Twin is available with a manual or with an automatic transmission. So, it's time to start looking and talking!

Won't be the first time I've been misinformed, but I thought that in the US, they were only offering them with the DCT. Wife's not gonna like this.

Edit: So I've been on Honda's site a few times in the last few weeks looking at the AT and even when you proceed from the page you've shown, if you click on "Build and Price", you're taken to a page that only shows DCT as an option.

However, there are a total of (x297) AT's on Cycle Trade, only (x2) of which are manual trans. So I guess they do exist, but they're just not easy to find. And Honda's site sure doesn't make it easy. I still can't find it on their site.

Last edited:
Won't be the first time I've been misinformed, but I thought that in the US, they were only offering them with the DCT. Wife's not gonna like this.

Good luck! I keep getting my wife to sign off on this stuff. God knows how.

Sure she will. Explain that you'll sacrifice and get the manual trans to save money.

Good luck! I keep getting my wife to sign off on this stuff. God knows how.

Sure she will. Explain that you'll sacrifice and get the manual trans to save money.

My wife's pretty tolerant/laid back, but I just bought a 2012 Vstrom 6 weeks ago. Had I known the AT's were available in manual trans, that might have went different.

But as I said in my first post here, which I edited, check out Honda's site. The do show the page that 670cc screenshoted, but once you try to proceed from there, it's not easy to find the manual AT. If you click on Build and Price, you're given a page where the DCT is again the only option.

There are 2 on Cycle Trader, though, so I can see they do exist.

Maybe next year.

I considered the vfr1200x for sure. Love the look and love the v4 but is it worth 3k more than the at? .

You are getting a huge amount more motorcycle for your money so for that reason alone it has to be worth the difference.

I was all over the AT when it wasn't here yet but my ardor cooled after it arrived.

I have most of the objections listed - it's biased to soft roading with tubes, spokes, and bias ply 21" front. I ride pavement 99% of the time and when I am riding the 1% off pavement the NC still handles hard pack dirt and gravel roads just fine. I've put nearly a $1000 in suspension upgrades and the NC handles really really good so I'd give up top notch street handling for the tiny amount of time the AT would be better off pavement. It's not just the AT, when I traded the first NC for a Triumph Tiger I eschewed the soft road biased Tiger 800Xc for the 800R roadie version however with the Tiger I missed the all around goodness of the NC for the way I ride a second bike and the frunk spoiled me. Enter NC #2.

The second bike focus allows me to segue into first bike reasons. I still absolutely enjoy riding my ST1300. Where the AT would outshine the NC for longer distance comfort the ST sets a very high bar for long distance riding. I can't really see a reason why any current ADV bike offering could dislodge me off that bike.

Of course this is just me. The Africa Twin has massive appeal to many riders with different expectations than mine.

From what it seems only time will tell. They are selling off the hook. Putting up bmw sized numbers.

Gosh, I hope not. BMW sells in tiny numbers compared to other brands. They seeming own the open class ADV market but the GS12 and GSA sells in the US in numbers under 10,000 units a year. They have like 2% of the US market in total all models. Honda better be selling more than 8 to 10K AT's a year.

Back