• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Where to put alarm siren..?

goto10

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just bought a basic alarm and want to fit it (I just wanted something to make some noise and flash the indicators if it's moved) - has anyone done this? If so, where did you mount the control box and the siren? Anyone know what wires to tap for the indicators?
It's an NC700S, but I'd imagine things would be similar with the X.
Thanks.

The factory alarm from Honda does all this with plug-n-play electric harnesses. The control unit mounts in the tail behind the passenger seat. It is not clear to me where they intend the siren to go, but I am going to place mine on top of the gas tank but below the passenger seat. I have tested it there and it is plenty loud enough. This alarm does not flash the turn indicators. If you want an LED to warn off bystanders to a secured bike, it is available as an optional extra. Apparently there are a couple of different Honda alarms around - some with remotes and some without. Mine is without remotes.

I will check the service manual for wire colors for the signal wires and add this information later today. If you have other leads you need to tap such as switched or unswitched power, I can provide those wire colors as well. If you mount the control in the tail cubby, you are very close to the turn signal wires. There is a one screw flap underneath the rear fender that houses the connectors for the rear harness and it handily opens into the tail cubby.

Last edited:
Left turn signal - orange
Right turn signal - light blue
electrical ground - green
switched power - pink with blue stripe
unswitched power - red with white

NOTES:

1) If you are going to add significant amperage to this circuit, it should be done using Honda's option relay and separate fuse. This puts switched power to the violet with red wire on the Honda Option connector.
2) The first four of these can be found at the connectors under the flap above the rear fender.
3) For unswitched power, you can tap at the battery.
4) There is not a red with white wire near the tail caddy. The closest is the bike side of the Honda Option connector, the back of the fuse panel, or the turn signal relay.

Left turn signal - orange
Right turn signal - light blue
electrical ground - green
switched power - pink with blue stripe
unswitched power - red with white

NOTES:

1) If you are going to add significant amperage to this circuit, it should be done using Honda's option relay and separate fuse. This puts switched power to the violet with red wire on the Honda Option connector.
2) The first four of these can be found at the connectors under the flap above the rear fender.
3) For unswitched power, you can tap at the battery.
4) There is not a red with white wire near the tail caddy. The closest is the bike side of the Honda Option connector, the back of the fuse panel, or the turn signal relay.

Weirdly I didn't have unswitched power (red with white), so I ran a fused link directly to the battery. I then solder-tapped the turn signals to the alarm and ran the ground to the seat bolt. All works well and installed in under an hour :)
I haven't installed the blinking LED (not sure where to mount it) but the HISS light blinks anyway so I'll probably not bother.

Weirdly I didn't have unswitched power (red with white), so I ran a fused link directly to the battery.

What you did will work fine, but where did you look for the red with white? The easiest place to tap it is at the Option Connector.

What you did will work fine, but where did you look for the red with white? The easiest place to tap it is at the Option Connector.

Just in the tail access above the rear wheel, all of the other colours were there. Not sure where the option connector is?
I mounted the alarm unit in the tail cubby as you suggested, the siren just in front (it's extremely loud there, so no issues with it being muffled!)
The alarm seems to have quite a draw on it when it arms/disarms (all of the indicators and the siren 'pip'), so it's probably better getting a decent tap straight from the battery (when not using the option relay that is) - I tried a 3 & 5 amp fuse but they both popped when arming/disarming, so it now has a 10amp in there (I will try a 7.5 when I find one)

Last edited:
Just in the tail access above the rear wheel, all of the other colours were there. Not sure where the option connector is?

If you have not installed the option harness, it is tucked into a molded receptacle in the lower left rear of the luggage box. You have to remove the side cover to access it.

I mounted the alarm unit in the tail cubby as you suggested, the siren just in front (it's extremely loud there, so no issues with it being muffled!)
The alarm seems to have quite a draw on it when it arms/disarms (all of the indicators and the siren 'pip'), so it's probably better getting a decent tap straight from the battery (when not using the option relay that is) - I tried a 3 & 5 amp fuse but they both popped when arming/disarming, so it now has a 10amp in there (I will try a 7.5 when I find one)

The siren "pipping" is not much current, however, each indicator lamp is 21 watts. (21 x 4) / 12 = 7 amps.

Back