• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wiring Led driving lights

koma

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently using a pair of hella micro de halogens driving lights with a relay n fuse on my bike. Thinking of replacing them cause they draw alot of power 55watts each to a pair of led lights drawing 25 watts each. My question is whether do I need a relay to run with the new setup? Both will fused thru my fuze block. Would like to reduce wire clutter on my bike if possible by eliminating the relay if not needed. Any advice is appreciated thanx.

If you connect your devices to electric feed controlled by ignition key, you don't need additional relay.
You may need relay if you want to connect high energy device.

Forgot to add I be switching them on/off by means of a 10A switch. Will it be adequate with or without a relay?

Ohms Law: Power (watts) = V (voltage) x I (current/amps)

If a bulb draws 25w @12v, it's a little over 2A per bulb (I=W/V). A switch rated for 10A should be able to switch 4 bulbs.

Hi all, thanks for the reply. Yah my fuze block are connected straight frm the battery and it's set to be only powered on when my ignition it's on with a trigger signal sent from the bike`s own fusebox using be op signal.

So what is the recommend fuse size for tis pair of lights?

The fuse is there to protect the circuit. 5A would be the closest protection that would carry the load. If the circuit is wired with 18ga wire (0,75mm) you could fuse as high as 7.5A. With 16ga (1,00mm) wire you could fuse as high as 10A. Any larger wire or fusing is unnecessary.

Thanx for the reply Lee, just wan to get the closest fuse I can run the lights with without blowing up the circuit lol most probably will go on 5A to be in the safe side. Wouldnt a higher fuse be running abit risky?

Thanx for the reply Lee, just wan to get the closest fuse I can run the lights with without blowing up the circuit lol most probably will go on 5A to be in the safe side. Wouldnt a higher fuse be running abit risky?

Like Lee said, the fuse is mainly to protect the wiring from carrying more current than it's rating. Too much current in the wire melts it or sets the insulation ablaze. If your wire size is rated for at least 5 amps, and your load (the lights) is not expected to exceed 5 amps, then a 5 amp fuse would be the best choice. There is no sense in making the fuse larger than necessary, unless the wire is large enough to handle it, and you think you may add more devices to the circuit in the future.

Last edited:

It depends on your wire size. The fuse must protect the wire. There is no danger running the higher fuse ratings that I gave you depending on the wire size in your circuit.

Ok got it thanx for the replies guys just got the lights today will need to lengthen the harness and test it out in the next few days

Back