• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any idea how NCX will handle E15 fuel

bo7o

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I hope I don't spoil anyone's Christmas even bringing this up, but does anyone have any idea how the NCX will handle E15 fuel? My understanding is it will lower fuel efficiency and make engines run hotter. Will it affect reliability?
epa-backing-away-from-four-gallon-minimum-purchases-for-e15-ethanol-fuel

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The good thing is the EPA has pulled back on E15 for the moment and if it does approval the motorcycle press recently stated it would 4 or 5 years . One big problem was mixing style pumps and small volume sales to bikes and fuel cans the ratio gets messed up. The FIGHT and debate does continue..............to answer your original question E15 is not good and has no benefit to the owner of any motor vehicle.

...unless the owner is the CEO of ADM...
;)

While I realize that ethanol in gasoline is the source of much fear among consumers, and I also am very aware of its potential effects to some (generally much older) fuel system components, I've run E-85 in my turbo Subaru for hundreds and hundreds of miles at various times (no, it's not flex-fuel or E-85 'approved') with no further ill effects than a CEL when I was towing a boat up a mountain pass and slightly hard starting on very cool mornings (likely on account of a low compression ratio for the turbo's sake).

The ECU in my Subie doesn't have quite the necessary authority run the injectors long enough to reach stoichiometric on E-85. Also, fuel pressure really ought to be increased in order to balance out fuel delivery vs. injector duty cycle with high alcohol content. As a fairly amusing aside, the truck smells very much like a still (distillery) on cold-startup when running E-85. :)

The point here is simply that automakers (to include motorcycle manufacturers) have known for a very long time how to deal with alcohol in the fuel, and it's frankly no big trick. I'd guess that the NC would run fairly well even on very-high-alcohol-content fuels. This whole thing is frankly just the automakers (again, to include motorcycle manufacturers) and EPA fighting, and putting consumers in the middle of it. EPA says it's 'okay' and probably required, the automakers say warranty is denied if you run it. Consumers cannot then file a tort claim against, nor sue, EPA for doing this crap. ADM remains happy as their gigantic corn empire continues to make extra money from the stupidity of the huge ethanol subsidy, consumers continue to pay more for pork, beef, and other food (but mainly meats), and neither the EPA nor the automakers have any liability at all if anything _does_ break.

Ethanol is hell on rubber fuel lines. Sure the engine can handle it, but the rubber parts will not last as long. Not to mention, less btu's per gallon.

Ethanol=biggest scam in 20 years! 1.5 gallons of gas to produce, ruins fiberglass rubber etc. Grain for food goes up, breaks down oil film inside engine causing engines to wear out quicker and and more fuel being burned and sold because you get LESS mileage.......total Scam!!

I agree drifter, it takes more fuel to generate than it produces, so it's not "green", unlike the nc700x which gets 70mpg is really green!
The worrisome part for me is that 5 or 10 years ago you could find a pump with no ethanol, then it was just premium, now it's hard to find even a premium pump where I live with no ethanol. Will that happen with E15? I have never personally met any person who thinks its a good idea even to have E10.

@MZ5: nice post with interesting information and some good comments, thanks.

Back