• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone in the New Hampshire area that can help with a Givi crash bar install?

nrsheikh

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow forum members. I just bought a set of Givi crashbars for my bike, but I need help installing them. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but when I finally got the directions opened, I see that there are several bolt that hold the engine where the crashbars install to. I have a bunch of tools, but I am a little freaked with installing these. Is there anyone in the New Hampshire area that is willing to help a fellow rider out? Learning experience I guess? Thanks for looking! :confused:

I'm in Calif, on the hunt for the replacement bolts ( 10mm longer) recommended for the install.

I have one more local place to check tomorrow, if they don't have them it's off to the internet.

I was reading that thread....what is up with the current bolts? Are they too short? Ho much of a major concern in this? What is the problem if I use the factory bolts. Looking for insight here...

So I ordered the new bolts as directed from the other discussion post. I will hold on the install of this till I get them in. The site is in MA, so I expect the bolts here in a few days.

I was reading that thread....what is up with the current bolts? Are they too short? Ho much of a major concern in this? What is the problem if I use the factory bolts. Looking for insight here...

My understanding is that you lose nearly half the thread engagement if you use the stock bolts, since they are subject to stress if the bike tips and the guards make contact, along with them also holding the engine in place it seems like a good idea.

How far from Boston you are?
I installed Givi crashbars last year
If it is not too far, I can stop by, it will be much easier, if we will have bike, with already installed ones, next to your bike

Don't remember if I had to order new bolts

Some how, a year later, everything is fine
nothing is falling apart

How far from Boston you are?
I installed Givi crashbars last year
If it is not too far, I can stop by, it will be much easier, if we will have bike, with already installed ones, next to your bike

Don't remember if I had to order new bolts

Some how, a year later, everything is fine
nothing is falling apart

I live in Manchester, NH, which is about one hour north of Boston. I have the new bolts on order, will be here sometime this week or next. I leave on vacation on the 27th, and will return on Aug 3rd.

Personally I won't sweat using the stock bolts. I'm sure the Givi engineer knew what he was doing and the bars where tested on the NC.
I am an engineer. I wouldn't blindly trust any engineer. Ask any Canadian engineer why they wear that little steel ring on their pinky finger. If the bolts are long enough for the Gigi guards then apparently the Honda engineer didn't know what he/she was doing. How many threads on the bolts are engaged when using stock bolts with the Gigi guards? Look up how many need to be engaged to get full strength? If you are not there get longer bolts.

It's a fairly large bolt and is only short by the thickness of the Givi mounting plate. I'm an Auto Tech and work with bolts every day and when I installed them I was thinking that the bolt threads in a long way even with the bars mounted. There is no way this is going to break. It will crack the aluminium engine case before it ever shears the bolt off.

If installing a longer bolt makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside go for it.

It's a fairly large bolt and is only short by the thickness of the Givi mounting plate. I'm an Auto Tech and work with bolts every day and when I installed them I was thinking that the bolt threads in a long way even with the bars mounted. There is no way this is going to break. It will crack the aluminium engine case before it ever shears the bolt off.

Spreading the load out through the engine casting by using all the available threads IS the goal. I don't think shearing the bolt is the concern at all. Preserving the engine casting is the goal.

I am an engineer. I wouldn't blindly trust any engineer. Ask any Canadian engineer why they wear that little steel ring on their pinky finger. If the bolts are long enough for the Gigi guards then apparently the Honda engineer didn't know what he/she was doing. How many threads on the bolts are engaged when using stock bolts with the Gigi guards? Look up how many need to be engaged to get full strength? If you are not there get longer bolts.

Based off this new information you've provided (Engineer's Ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) I no longer trust any of the enginners I work with at Caterpillar. Not one of them has a pinkie ring.

Based off this new information you've provided (Engineer's Ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) I no longer trust any of the enginners I work with at Caterpillar. Not one of them has a pinkie ring.

The ring is primarily a Canadian thing so I don't have one either. What is left out of the Wikipedia article is the history. Supposedly an engineer designed a bridge. He designed based on the weight of traffic expected but forgot to allow for the weight of the steel the bridge was made of. The bridge failed and initially the rings were made from steel of the failed bridge as a reminder not to leave anything out of the calculation.

Much of my time is spent fixing things that good engineers design. When they try to defend design by showing their calculations, I often tell them that reality trumps their calculations.

Back