• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Information Breath box VS pinlock shield, which is best?

750dct

Reaction score
Visit site
For me the breath box is better. When I do my early morning short commute into the sun, the pinlock gets reflections all over and the shield looks hazy in general. They both do the job well but for me the pinlock is going to be history. When I first added the HJC generic breath box it wasn't working but discovered it had a bendable nose piece. Many chin curtains, breath deflectors, and boxes can be fitted to any helmet with a little work. I put a little glue on my chin curtains to keep them from pulling out.

On my HJC, I manage fogging by just cracking the regular shield open a bit. In my trials of pinlock shield or breath box, I preferred the breath box, but nowadays I use neither. Cracking the shield open is like having heated grips. It’s always an available option in any situation with no earlier preparation required.

I'm 100% pinlock! Although my Scorpion shield without pinlock almost never fogged, and my Shoei shields without pinlock always fog... Too bad Shoei is so much more comfortable.

I am a Pinlock user. No issues. The only time I’ve used a chin curtain is on my current HJC i70, and it made fogging worse. It did reduce noise, so I might pop it back in for longer trips, but not around town. Never tried a breath box.

Reactions: MZ5
I'd say Pinlock if your helmet's visor has a pinlock option. I didn't have that available until I got my latest helmet a Scorpion EXO-AT950. I've used breath boxes in the past and they help, provided you already have it installed when you need it. I've also bought an adhesive insert for my visor in the past and that worked good too.

Last edited:
On my HJC, I manage fogging by just cracking the regular shield open a bit. In my trials of pinlock shield or breath box, I preferred the breath box, but nowadays I use neither. Cracking the shield open is like having heated grips. It’s always an available option in any situation with no earlier preparation required.
I could always do that but then there is that blast of cold air on my face.

I also crack my shield. Works great above 40f
It's always below 40*F here in the morning plus cracking it increases the noise a bit. My breath-box is comfortable and unobtrusive, plus the chin curtain keeps cold air off my chin and the noise down. It's a great package for me.

Last edited:
I am a Pinlock user. No issues. The only time I’ve used a chin curtain is on my current HJC i70, and it made fogging worse. It did reduce noise, so I might pop it back in for longer trips, but not around town. Never tried a breath box.
The chin curtain makes all my helmets fog more also, other than the one with the breath box.

I could always do that but then there is that blast of cold air on my face.
Helmet designs vary. One might have a shield first opening detent that is quite large, while other design shields will stay open at a barely perceptable degree. My HJC shield works better for me than those on much more expensive helmets I’ve tried or witnessed. I can crack the shield to an opening where I barely feel any air flow, but it’s enough to defog the shield. I don’t get a cold blast on my face. For winter riding I usually wear a thin balaclava which is keeping my face and neck warm anyway. YMMV.

Pinlock works well for me so far (on an Airoh Commander helmet which has Pinlock included). An MX helmet (Airoh Twist for me) with goggles (mine have a double lens) works great as well and I suppose a breath box would vent your exhaled air straight into the goggles so would make matters worse. Of course an MX helmet does catch more wind at higher speeds yet at these speeds your road helmet with a visor probably wouldn't fog anyway.

Pinlock works well for me so far (on an Airoh Commander helmet which has Pinlock included). An MX helmet (Airoh Twist for me) with goggles (mine have a double lens) works great as well and I suppose a breath box would vent your exhaled air straight into the goggles so would make matters worse. Of course an MX helmet does catch more wind at higher speeds yet at these speeds your road helmet with a visor probably wouldn't fog anyway.
You need to be using a regular helmet to be making claims about one.

You need to be using a regular helmet to be making claims about one.
You mean to say regarding the breath box? Yeah I've got one of these which I've been using with my (ECE 22 05 certified so street legal) MX helmet but I wasn't aware it was a prerequisite to have used it in a helmet labeled as "regular". Either way, it may be useful to some knowing that an MX helmet combined with good double lens goggles solves the fogging issue and the breath box brings it back. Agreed I haven't used it on a "regular" helmet hence won't comment there but luckily others have chimed in on that for the complete picture.

You mean to say regarding the breath box? Yeah I've got one of these which I've been using with my (ECE 22 05 certified so street legal) MX helmet but I wasn't aware it was a prerequisite to have used it in a helmet labeled as "regular". Either way, it may be useful to some knowing that an MX helmet combined with good double lens goggles solves the fogging issue and the breath box brings it back. Agreed I haven't used it on a "regular" helmet hence won't comment there but luckily others have chimed in on that for the complete picture.
Not an MX forum and the breath goes down and out, not up unless the breath box doesn't fit well.

Back