• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Car Hitch

potter0o

Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The wife and I just picked up a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL. We had a 2010 with a hitch so wanted to get one for the new one. Had it installed locally about 5 years ago. Now the price is $200 more so have been checking out options to save. Watching some you tube videos makes it look pretty easy with the right tools...the same ones you use on a motorcycle 0o.

Does anyone have any experience purchasing one of these online or doing the install themselves? Any advice or recommendations?

Installation of a Trailer Hitch on a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe - etrailer.com - YouTube seemed like a good option.

I bought a hitch for my 2016 Honda Accord from e-trailer and the installation was a cinch. I've installed hitches on my prior two Accords so pretty much know how to do it but each year model has its minor quirks.

My '16 Accord has LED taillights so there isn't adequate power at the back to run the normal trailer lights which meant I had to run a 12v positive wire from the battery in the engine compartment all the way to the back but it appears you won't have a similar problem with your car.

I did all my work solo and it helped to have a floor jack to hold the hitch in place while I got the bolts started. If you have a second set of hands, it would also be OK. :)

I've used the trailer to tow 2 street bikes on 3 long trips this year and everything has worked out great.

Last edited:
I’ve installed a hitch on every vehicle I’ve owned (if it didn’t already come with one). The installation challenges vary by the vehicle model, but they’ve all involved feeding nuts or bolts through existing “frame” holes and bolting up the hitch. The need to drill a hole is rare, and no welding is ever involved.

The most difficult part of the job is lifting the hitch up and starting the bolts. While I’ve always managed it myself, having help at this point is recommended.

The wiring can also be a challenge, but there are plug and play kits for most vehicles that reduce the work required.

The etrailer guides are quite helpful, so you should be able to gauge the difficulty vs your abilities.

I’ve always used the Curt brand (and Valley before that) because they’re reasonably priced, but then they’re all about the same build and quality. Reese, Drawtite, and U-haul brands are not necessarily better hitches, but you might pay more for the name. I’ve even bought new hitches off eBay or Amazon and the hitch is usually drop shipped direct from the manufacturer.

Be aware that the tow rating and tongue weight rating specified for the hitch is not necessarily the rating for the vehicle. Consult the vehicle specs for maximum towing weight, tongue weight, and Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating.

Last edited:
+1 on eTrailer. +1 on the Curt brand hitches. I recently replaced the hitch on my Yukon XL. As others mentioned, the need to drill/weld shouldn't be necessary, but the right tools and a second person to help make a huge difference. You can also use jack stands and/or a trolley jack to help hold the hitch up while you get it bolted on.

I prefer US made for my hitch as I'm towing a 30' camper and will have the whole family in the car. That's not a scenario for trying to save some pennies on a critical component of towing. I trust the welding and the overall manufacturing of the Curt models.

Back