• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Continental Conimotion Strange Tire Wear

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I put the Conimotions on before my tour and ran them a total distance of 11,000kms. They have developed a strange wear pattern. They have become feather edged on both sides of the tire. I did do quite a few high speed turns on mountainous paved roads and not sure if this wear pattern is because of that. The front tire is also wearing the same way but not to the same extent.

If you look close you can see the line in the tire where the soft side rubber and harder centre rubber meet.
IMG_0896%5B1%5D.JPG

Stepped lugs
IMG_0898%5B1%5D.JPG

That's typical rear wear when you accelerate in a turn. The front tire wears that way from braking forces.

It's not that it can't take it, it's just the heat and acceleration/braking forces deform the rubber. It happens to all tires to some extent, even harder car tires. It's a bit harder to spot on a car tire though.
My PR3 rear does that on "spirited" rides on twisty roads. With really aggressive riding, you can see the rubber peeling.

(Not my pic, but that's what my rear looked like after a particularly fun road[emoji14]

To keep up with faster bikes ,I find I have to make it up with fast corner speeds and late late braking...works a treat and the tyres look nice and cooked to the edge...on the longer straights you just have to put up with everyone disappearing again once you get to about 60mph ,but you can always skip a fill up to make it up as well :)
Its fast overtakes you cant do as the sports bikes just seem to blip the throttle and pass where I dare not .
I would be pleased with the wear on the tyre in the picture after that mileage !

Back