• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Date of manufacture

xtpete

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just wondering how meany of you's realise the date of manufature
is stamped on a road motorbike tire... some dirt tires...

I just got this Shinko 705.. ordered it online...
it's already 2 years old.. Something I check
before buying from a shop but online yer can't...

Date code on this one is "2711"
Made in the 27th week of 2011
yer can see the stamp was held in the mold by 2
philips head bolts...

so theres a bit of useless info for next time yer buying tires
if yer don't already know...

((MODS.. move this to the tire section... don't know how /why I put it here..))

sam0011p.jpg

Last edited:
Bingo correct! 5 years for tires, helmets and leathers. Moister content leaves these products. All three should not be used after 5 years.

Personally it is a risk whenever you buy "blind" from any shop (internet or post etc).
It is also to me, ok for a 2-year old tire. I am sure many shops also have stocked them for 2 years, and then they give sale, etc.
Internet shops usually give a huge discount because they do not stock their inventory, they just place an order to the direct factory or a wholesaler, who will probably sell you the "oldest" stock first.

It is not unique, just look at your supermarkets. Milk, yoghurt, eggs, etc....

PS: Do you seriously expect a tire from say made last month?
Not unless you live next to the factory. :p

I always wonder if the tires used for the US market are the same as for the UK one,
as US riders seem to get many more miles from a tire, are they exactly the same
or maybe a different compound in the US?

I always wonder if the tires used for the US market are the same as for the UK one,
as US riders seem to get many more miles from a tire, are they exactly the same
or maybe a different compound in the US?

Maybe road condition plays in as well? I don't know how good your streets are in the UK, but even from state to state here there are HUGE differences - I live in Louisiana and crossing the state line into Texas feels sooo smooth! I think any of my tires would probably last longer if I drove on TX roads instead of LA. Our roads are... not really a point of pride for the state

I am sure road conditions do play a part not only are the uk roads poorly
maintained but except for motorways we don't have many places were you
can run at a steady speed, in the last few years they have switched to a
different tarmac mix that is much quieter and hopefully better on tires, but
there still seems to be quite a big difference between US and UK.

The "youngest" tires I have ever bought were the Michelin Pilot Road 3s on the bike now. The pair was 4 months old in June 2013 when I received them. The youngest tires I have ridden on were a month old when Bridgestone shipped them from Japan for a beta test on my ST1300.

Back