• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Favorite rear seat fuel bypass for touring?

draco880

Reaction score
Visit site
All, taking the NC 700x from the Bay to PDX and would like to use the rear seat for more storage, without having to take things on and off to refuel. I see some pretty clever aux fuel tank mods; the issue is that my girlfriend does ride on the back on the rare occasion, so I need to maintain at least the ability to reinstall a normal rear seat. I have a T-rex rack with a top box, but the top box is mostly for commuting convenience and can be swapped out. Is there a favorite and ideally fairly simple way to get fuel into the tank when there's crap on the seat? I can do basic metalworking and the like, don't mind throwing some money at it if that's the easy option. Thanks for any advice.

Found a decent deal on a redundant fuel cap so I can put a line through; I suppose that I probably don't need an FI rated fuel line for a tank that's just gonna dump into the main tank, but it seems like a good idea anyway. I see most of the mods here are a line into the tank proper with a stopcock. It looks like the automatic systems run into the vent line, but it seems a touch simpler to just run a replacement fuel cap with a line through it and use an on-off valve to dump aux fuel into the main tank when running dry. Accurate?

One mod is to remove the pillion seat cover from the front of the seat and cut a semicircle out of the front edge of the seat then recover. A bag on the seat won’t typically cover the “gas hole” and the seat remains usable for pillion.

One mod is to remove the pillion seat cover from the front of the seat and cut a semicircle out of the front edge of the seat then recover. A bag on the seat won’t typically cover the “gas hole” and the seat remains usable for pillion.

That's a fine idea....may look into that myself

Back