• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front Fork Spring Replacement on my 2013 NC700X

mogonc34

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Context: I'm a 5' 10", 250# guy whose had my 2013 NC700X since September 2021, riding more than 30k miles since getting it. I've ridden MABDR, SCAR, infrequently maintained FSR's, commute 40-miles (round trip) 3x week, and regularly do longer trips (300-mi+) including a round trip North Carolina to Texas & back.

I'd read threads here about suspension upgrades being an area of significant improvement but really, have been happy with the bike. I've always been cognizant of the ground clearance when off-pavement and have bottomed out less than a one-handed count:). Of late though, I have become aware of the almost 2-inch sag with my fat a-- on the bike. So I decided to see what new fork springs could do for me - after deciding to sink some money into this bike versus purchasing a Transalp, that is.

I did my research, re-read the threads here, and emailed Race Tech. They were very responsive and helpful, as many of you have noted. Following thru with their recommended specs, I purchased the FRSP S3534095 Front Springs and splurged on the FEGV S4101 Gold Valve Cartridge Emulator Kit, purchasing both from Parts Giant. Here's link to the Race Tech Product Sheet for this bike and the actual purchased items on Parts Giant Race Tech Fork Springs 0.95 kg/mm & Fork Emulator 41mm

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the Race Tech provided instructions were - it was a 4-hour change over, including the drilling in the damping rod (required for the emulator only). I will admit, I misread the instructions first time thru so needed an addtional 2-hours to re-do the oil level - I measured with fork tube fully extended first time around. As you might imagine, took me all of 15-seconds to realize the forks had ZERO spring in them as I crossed the driveway to street bump:) Took the 2-hours to correct the mistake and all is well now - after taking a ride thru the neighborhood to hit every speed bump at 20~25MPH with new smoothness.

A quick update - got out for a 200-mile, multi-surface ride yesterday and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to do this upgrade! I'd have never thought the bike could get any more comfortable but here we are! I'll be replacing rear shock soon!

Attachments

• Backroad not fresh pavement-20231231.png
    Backroad not fresh pavement-20231231.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Backroad fresh pavement with deer sighting-20231231.png
    Backroad fresh pavement with deer sighting-20231231.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Semi-maintained Dirt-20231231.png
    Semi-maintained Dirt-20231231.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Semi-maintained culvert-20231231.png
    Semi-maintained culvert-20231231.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Like yourself, the NC does everything I need. Instead of putting money into a new bike, upgrading the suspension can transform the old bike into a new one at a fraction of the cost. I have not done the front but appreciate the difference the rear shock replacement made. I expect at some point I will bite the bullet and do the front.

Back