• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help! Front wheel spacer looks wierd?

Hanatsu

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed the front wheel to replace the tire. When I put it back again I noticed the spacer isn't tight against the fork on one side. Is it supposed to look like this or is something wrong? The dark part you see left of the fork is the axle.

Bike is a NC750X DCT 2022.

Attachments

• IMG_20240529_002502672.jpg
    IMG_20240529_002502672.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240529_002518410.jpg
    IMG_20240529_002518410.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 15
Doesn't look right to me. The HSM says:
1. install side collars on front wheel
2. Apply thin coat of grease to axle.
3. Install wheel between fork legs.
4. Slide axle in from left side.
5. Tighten axle to spec'ed torque. 55 lb ft.
6. Install brake caliper and torque bolts. 22 lb ft
7. With front brake applied, pump forks up and down to seat axle and check brake function.
8. Tighten front axle pinch bolt. 16 lb ft.
I will add, do not overtighten the pinch bolt - you can break some expensive parts!

Did you bounce the bike? My guess is the fork stuck on the axle and it did not assume its proper position.

Followed that instruction basically. I've not tightened it down as I saw that gap. Just screwed the axle in by hand. It's possible to push the forks together but I get the feeling that's not a good idea. I do have a torque wrench for these jobs. I might have mixed the spacers up, are they different?

The HSM does not say if the spacers are side specific. My NC is new to me and I've not taken the front wheel off yet, so I don't know. The tightening of the axle and bouncing the front end then tightening the pinch bolt is more or less SOP on other motorcycles.

I agree, pushing in the forks is not good. Once the axle is screwed tightly in the right fork leg, bouncing the bike allows the forks to assume a position on the axle so that they are parallel and will slide up and down without side pressure.

Guys with more experience will be here soon. It's dinner time.

The wheel should be tight since the axle has a shoulder that push against the spacer itself but I kinda got spooked by that gap. How does it look like on your bike?

Glad you asked. Here are pics of my bike. Dang if it doesn't look the same as yours. I've only had this bike 4 weeks or so, The PO did no service himself - only dealer serviced. 2k miles on the ODO, its a '21.

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

I removed the front wheel to replace the tire. When I put it back again I noticed the spacer isn't tight against the fork on one side. Is it supposed to look like this or is something wrong? The dark part you see left of the fork is the axle.

Bike is a NC750X DCT 2022.
The photos you posted show a correctly installed front axle. The left fork pinch clamp grabs the “head” of the axle bolt. This sort of variable attachment point at the left fork allows the axle to be torqued, and then for the forks to be set parallel (by pumping the forks) before you tighten the pinch clamp.

Worded another way: The right fork position and it’s relationship to the caliper and disk are fixed because the axle threads tightly into the the right fork. The left fork is positioned on the axle head at the place that ensured the forks are parallel and not binding.

The two front spacers are the same on mine, with same part number. Look it up for your exact model year to be sure.

Last edited:
Ah. Thanks for the replies (and pictures). Seems like I didn't mess anything up then. I'll make sure to pump the the forks before torquing the pinch clamp. Should I put locktight on that one?

I never have. I do use a torque wrench, checked at least twice to make sure it is on the right setting.

Torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle 1/3 of their range. This is why you should own several different sizes. I read someone's unhappy post after he snapped the bottom of the fork leg on his bike by overtightening the pinch bolt. This is one bolt you should just tighten firmly and not overtighten it.

Ah. Thanks for the replies (and pictures). Seems like I didn't mess anything up then. I'll make sure to pump the the forks before torquing the pinch clamp. Should I put locktight on that one?
I don't ever remove the pinch bolt; I just loosen it and tighten it. I don’t think Honda calls for Loctite. (Not sure they ever do. If bolts require sealant, Honda usually recommends placing the ALOC bolt which comes with thread locker on it).

Back