• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Me and the NC up Beartooth Pass MT, yahoooo!

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Gang,
I've been hearing about this *Beartooth Pass* now for years and years. I've heard about it on multiple m/c forums. Well, I finally got a chance to ride it. The CEO and I are on an RV trip at present and are camped in a KOA campground in Red Lodge Montana. We arrived about noon and got all set up. I'm doing something I've never done before and that is, I'm toting along TWO MOTORCYCLES on this trip. We tow our pickup with our '18 Honda Goldwing DCT Airbag in the back and, we're also carrying the '20 NC750X DCT on the back of our motorhome. Well, the wife wanted to do some tidying up in the motorhome and I did a semi-quick wipe down of both bikes since we traveled in some rain and that makes a mess out of anything exposed.

The weather was pretty dreary but I thought what the heck, I'm going for it. So, I dressed up in all my gear and took off. The temp in the town of Red Lodge was at the time, in the low 60's. Quite tolerable. I crept through the town and finally got to open it up towards the climb. I was getting excited since I'd seen videos and red lots of reports. Well, I got quite a ways up the climb and the temp dropped severely. I knew I had way more to go due to the fact that I can see the road wind back and forth with 180 degree turns above me.

As I hit the 9,000' mark in elevation, my hands were almost numb. I was using at the time, a 3/4 helmet and while it fits pretty snuggly, I was still getting very, VERY chilly air in and around my ears. I still can't figure out how that was happening. I hit the 10,108' mark and almost could not control the throttle and or my finger shifting on the paddle shifters. As I'm led to believe, the top is around 11,000'. So, I was just shy of hitting the top when I decided it was more important to LIVE than hit a crest on a hill. So, I turned around and headed back down. I would stop every so often and put my gloved hands on the sides of the engine to get at least some heat back to them. I finally made it to the bottom and back into town. I did stop and take a pic or two at some neat sites. Anyway, if all goes well, and the weather at least tries to cooperate some, me and the CEO will take the Wing up it in a day or two. We might even tote along the dog in her little Kuryakyn Pet Palace. We'll see. That is a seriously fund hill/road to climb.
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_6075.JPG
    IMG_6075.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6077.JPG
    IMG_6077.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Yes, it’s a beautiful road. The Wing Ding took place in Billings, Montana one year. My wife and I took the Goldwing up the Beartooth Pass on a day around September 1 where the temperature was around 90F at low elevation. Going up high felt good.

I would have ridden it again on my way to Alaska in 2019, but did not due to snowy weather in June.

Back