• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motoport Protective Clothing

The science is clear - aramid fibers like Kevlar are susceptible to degradation from exposure to UV. The manufacturer of Kevlar warns against use in the visible light spectrum unless the fibers are protected by a UV stable cover or sheath. It is clearly explained in the first link I provided. I think DuPont even warns against damage that can occur when storing Kevlar fabric "near a window". That's not slander, it comes directly from DuPont. If the CEO is not aware of this I'd have to wonder what else he is unaware of. It's been known for at least 30 years.

What is not clear in this discussion and on the website is how you can weave an open mesh cloth with a portion of it a Kevlar blend and not have it exposed to UV. By definition cloth is made of individual fibers made into threads that are woven in an over and under construction of warp and weft. Unless the outer shell is covered completely with a UV blocking outer shell a portion of the weave is exposed to UV. If it isn't exposed then just explain how it is done and still leaves the mesh open to air flow. That's a fair question.

I am not saying brief exposure to sunlight turns Kevlar to dust. Many riders simply don't ride enough to get the type of UV exposure to adversely affect the garment and those that do may not see the damage that may have occurred and even if damage occurs there may be sufficient strength left to protect in a get-off. It's my preference not to take that chance and my right to warn others of possible risk.

It makes me sad that Motoport Wayne has been brought into this thread. I think I shall no longer be watch or participate in it.

I have a Motorport jacket I wear rather often. It is great, but not as "cool" in summer as their website claims, so I still flip to a mesh jacket in summer. Sadly, for such an expensive jacket they do not make a goretex liner. I instead bought a super thin goretex-like rain jacket from The North End that I wear over it if it rains (bought it a size larger). I never feel safer as when I am in this jacket. Eventually may get matching pants.

I'm shopping for protective gear and riding in hot/humid weather is a major concern (upper 80-90's here with humidities near 100%). Considering the motoport mesh jackets but have concerns about the UV issues raised above and also really how cool these are - they look bulky and hot.

Interested in any further feedback and I agree I'm not clear on how the kevlar weave would not be adversely affected by UV rays unless it's coated by something else.

My other consideration at this point is an olympia product (air glide) or Rev'it (airwave or tornado)

I have had my Motoport gear for over 7 years now, and it has well over 100,000 miles of travel. It is over 100 degrees here in Texas quite often. I ride daily, no problem. I have gone down on the Dalton Hwy in Alaska at over 65 mile per hour, and not a scratch. It was a hard impact that dislocated my shoulder. The doctors could not believe how good the gear worked.

Last edited:
I just put down a deposit to get my name in line for a jacket. Now I just have to decide on which one. For me, living in the Pacific northwest, stretch Kevlar seems to be the correct choice of materials. I am also on the fence about the quad armor upgrade, but will probably go for it as well.

As for the UV degredation, I believe that Motoport recommends coating the jacket with 303 (a UV protector) on a regular basis.

My wife washed my Motoport gear yesterday for the Overland Expo trip. Thanks, I almost forgot to put on the 303 Products Aerospace UV Protectant. West Marine has it on sale for $19.00 for the 32 ounce size. That is cheaper than mail order after shipping.

Back