• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle crashes into Grizzly Bear, cyclist injured, condition of bear unknown

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
It was not me. Or the lovely Mrs_Bob.

We were in NY state when this happened :hammer:

Link > Motorcyclist seriously injured after colliding with grizzly bear - My Cariboo Now

A motorcyclist sustained what is believed to have been serious injuries after crashing into a grizzly bear near Big Lake Ranch.

The incident occurred in the 3000 block of Likely Road at 2:13 pm Sunday, August 4.

“The vehicle identified as a motorcycle with a single rider was traveling southbound and attempted to avoid a grizzly bear but it was impacted resulting in the motorcyclist losing control and rolling,” Williams Lake RCMP Inspector Jeff Pelley said.

The motorcyclist was transported to hospital.

“Conservation Officer Service attended to search for the grizzly bear but it was not located,” Pelley added.

“The matter is still under investigation.”

That’s unfortunate; I hope the rider is OK. I can totally see how this can happen. On my Alaska trip, the bear were nearly as common along the road as deer might be in other places. The bears do occasional run across the road. It could be just as likely to get hit by a vehicle as would a deer.

I had a moose cross in front of me on a big sweeping curve. Far enough away I didn’t brake but I did let off the throttle to keep distance. Big animals!

That’s unfortunate; I hope the rider is OK. I can totally see how this can happen. On my Alaska trip, the bear were nearly as common along the road as deer might be in other places. The bears do occasional run across the road. It could be just as likely to get hit by a vehicle as would a deer.
I've had three fairly close calls with black bears crossing the road in front of me - twice in Florida and once in NC. That's three on a bike and one other time in a car.

Just back from Yukon and Alaska. Saw lots of pesky black bears. Thought this was another one and just followed it up the road until it turned off. Only after the fact did my buddy let me know I was in pursuit of a grizzly. No wonder he stayed back!

[video=youtube_share;QkyfEHZBEBs]https://youtu.be/QkyfEHZBEBs[/video]

I had a moose cross in front of me on a big sweeping curve. Far enough away I didn’t brake but I did let off the throttle to keep distance. Big animals!

I had the Moose experience once also when crossing over from Norway to Sweden up north. As You say it is a very big animal and gave me quite a start as it just burst out of the bushes in front of me while two up on a dirt road. It actually stopped and stared at me and then made off again.

Hit a bear on the PA turnpike about 10 years back. Was in a '99 Suburban pulling a 17' camping trailer. Weak headlights meant I didn't see it until the last moment when it turned it's head and caught the glint of its eyes. Had just come up and over a long incline so was still picking up speed. Only other vehicle was a little Geo that had started to overtake me. We called it a draw. The bear gave up it's life, insurance wrote off my truck. First thing the state trooper asked me after seeing that our whole family appeared unharmed was whether I wanted to keep the bear!! Got towed and a hotel for the night (it was late, and we were in the middle of almost nowhere) and called the only buddy I knew that had a quad cab and would be OK with driving a few hours to pick us all up and be rigged to tow the camper. Of course he's also a hunter and one of his first questions was what did we do with the bear!

Back