• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Must you buy the tires from the dealer?

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
So I went to a local dealer today to purchase some s100 bike wash and asked if they changed tires. They told me due to liability I would have to buy the tires from them. I’ve not heard that before, and I used to work in a tire shop.

Anyone else run into such a thing in your own travels?

Dealer’s can refuse to mount tires purchased elsewhere if they want to, and even make up a story as to why that is. I think the real story is, due to profit margin reasons (not liability), you would have to buy the tires from them.

I’d had it with all that nonsense many years ago. I order tires on line, usually have them at my door in as little as 36 hours, and mount them myself. If you are dependent on a dealer to mount your tires, you may have to play their games, or find another dealer.

You don’t have to buy from the dealer if you don’t want to.

The dealer doesn’t have to install your aftermarket items if he doesn’t want to.

Dealer’s can refuse to mount tires purchased elsewhere if they want to, and even make up a story as to why that is. I think the real story is, due to profit margin reasons (not liability), you would have to buy the tires from them.

I’d had it with all that nonsense many years ago. I order tires on line, usually have them at my door in 36 hours or less, and mount them myself. If you are dependent on a dealer to mount your tires, you may have to play their games, or find another dealer.
That’s what I thought. I have several dealerships to choose from so it isn’t a problem. I just thought it odd.

The latest thing in our area is that if you buy the tires from either of the Honda dealers they will mount them for free but of course they charge you more for the tires than you can buy them for online. I found that the difference in prices for a set of road 5s for my VFR varied by $75 between the two dealers who would both mount them. It pays to shop. The least expensive was the independent Honda dealer, the more expensive was the chain Honda dealer.

As long as I am not getting gauged, I don’t mind supporting my local dealer.

All our local shops here specialize in atv so bikes are an afterthought. No such deals for me.

When I was looking into purchasing a balancing stand locally I was looked at like I had horns growing out of my head. It is convenient to change the tires on a Sunday when the shops are closed. I'm up to 3 tires changed now.

If my Mechanic sells the brand I want then I purchase from him. If he doesn't then I purchase online and he fits them if necessary. Otherwise when it comes to dirt tyres and other tubed tyres I fit them myself.

I'd never go to the local dealer, but we used to have a good motorcycle tire shop - he sold tires for about 10% more than I could get them for, and mounted/balanced them for 10$ more. It was a good deal, but tedious- I had to take the wheels down to him, then drop them off, and go back ( 1/2 hour drive each way) when they were done. He gave me some guff one time about repairing a rim leak in a scooter tire he had mounted for me, and I started doing my own. For a 50$ investment, I am well pleased. I now no longer get the fronts changed at the same time, to save an extra trip down there- that saves a LOT of money, since I usually get twice the mileage out of a front as I do a rear.
I now also know it's done right, when it gets done.
Is it tough? Sure, the first few times. I use the tie wrap/duct tape method, so, actually, getting the old tires off the rims are the toughest part. I have read about a new ( to me) method of getting them off: you use a dremel tool with an aggressive wheel on it, and cut down the outside middle of the tire ( which, if well worn, is not very thick), Then you just remove each piece individually. Sounds pretty neat....
Getting them back on and balanced is really simple, and actually fun. Most times, I don't even use my tire irons, just lube and tie wraps or duct tape. ( see you tube videos).

Hope this helps!

I think Cycle Gear is offering to mount tires in some of their stores for like $25 if you buy them there or $50 if you buy elsewhere. You bring the wheels in off the bike. That seems to make a lot of sense to me -- once they've invested in a pro level mounting machine, might as well mount all you can and get people in your store. The real liability is in the removal and reinstallation of the wheel, IMO.

that said, my local Cycle Gear is one that does not offer this service. So I bought a Bike Master rig. It works, but it's still a major PITA. To me, if I thought I'd change enough tires in the next 10 years, I'd spring for the NoMar Classic -- but at this point in my life it would be a toss up regarding "break even" point, and I don't have garage space.

Back