• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need a 12V+ Switched Wire - Where is One?

WingMan71

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I need to find a 12V+ switched wire preferably somewhere toward the back of the bike. Why?

I'm adding an AdMore Lighting LED light kit to my new Givi E370N top case. The kit converts the standard red reflectors on the top case to LED running lights, brake lights, and directional signals. Provides a WAY more visible rear end light signature to ward off distracted drivers.

(Kit instructions say that if the bike has LED tail/brake lights, then the red wire on the light kit cable has to be connected to a switched 12V+ wire on the bike.)

So, some questions:

1. Where on the bike might I find the closest switched 12V+ wire toward the back end?

2. I read elsewhere on the forum that a switched 12V+ wire would be brown. Correct?

3. Or, am I screwed and will I need to get the sub-harness and relay kit for accessories to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help.

1. Probably the tail light that is always on while the ignition is on.
2. No idea. if you can follow the cable from the taillight, it should be easy to determine which is powered when the ignition is on.
3. When I add an aux. brake light (I will be adding a Whelen M7 to my NC when I get the fusebox from Easterly Beaver) I usually throw in a relay. I don't want the additional light to overwhelm the OEM wiring which is often quite small. If my bike (a 21) has the option of a sub harness (my impression is it does not) then I'd go that route.

So, I need to find a 12V+ switched wire preferably somewhere toward the back of the bike. Why?

I'm adding an AdMore Lighting LED light kit to my new Givi E370N top case. The kit converts the standard red reflectors on the top case to LED running lights, brake lights, and directional signals. Provides a WAY more visible rear end light signature to ward off distracted drivers.

(Kit instructions say that if the bike has LED tail/brake lights, then the red wire on the light kit cable has to be connected to a switched 12V+ wire on the bike.)

So, some questions:

1. Where on the bike might I find the closest switched 12V+ wire toward the back end?

2. I read elsewhere on the forum that a switched 12V+ wire would be brown. Correct?

3. Or, am I screwed and will I need to get the sub-harness and relay kit for accessories to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help.
Should be a purple/blue switched hot to the taillight running light. I'm not sure on a 2018 but on earlier models there is a flap under the taillight mount secured by a single screw. Pulled down there is access to the tail/brake/turn signal wires. Or look in the tail piece under the back seat.

1. Probably the tail light that is always on while the ignition is on.
2. No idea. if you can follow the cable from the taillight, it should be easy to determine which is powered when the ignition is on.
3. When I add an aux. brake light (I will be adding a Whelen M7 to my NC when I get the fusebox from Easterly Beaver) I usually throw in a relay. I don't want the additional light to overwhelm the OEM wiring which is often quite small. If my bike (a 21) has the option of a sub harness (my impression is it does not) then I'd go that route.
I've mounted Whelen Lin3s or generic knock-offs to several Hondas, triggered off the brake light positive (green/yellow ??). I might have been just lucky but never a relay and never a problem in hundreds of thousands of miles.

Should be a purple/blue switched hot to the taillight running light. I'm not sure on a 2018 but on earlier models there is a flap under the taillight mount secured by a single screw. Pulled down there is access to the tail/brake/turn signal wires. Or look in the tail piece under the back seat.
Thanks!

Looked at the wiring diagram in the FSM. It shows a Bl/Bu wire going to the tail light, so Black/Blue I guess.

I'll go look for that flap under the taillight mount and see what I find under there! Wish me luck. ;)

be forewarned that tail flap can be a bit of a bit#$ to get off ... the screw is a JIS, not philips. I never could get mine off ... it just spins endlessly.

Well... just contacted Admore Lighting tech support. I cannot use the Bl/Bu wire that comes into the taillight assembly for the connection to their kit's tail light wire. I must use a 12V+ switched wire from somewhere.

They know what bike I have and suggested that I use the brown wire that is on my "aux connector".

Do I have an aux connector on my bike, or it that an add-on accessory? If it comes on the bikes stock, where the heck IS the aux connector?

EDIT:
Found a component on the wiring diagram called an "option connector - for sub-harness". Three wires: blue, green, and violet/red. Green is labeled Ground, the violet/red wire is labeled "Main SW". The blue wire has no label.

Do you recon that the violet/red wire labeled "Main SW" is, in fact, a switched 12V+ source?

Last edited:
Well... just contacted Admore Lighting tech support. I cannot use the Bl/Bu wire that comes into the taillight assembly for the connection to their kit's tail light wire. I must use a 12V+ switched wire from somewhere.

They know what bike I have and suggested that I use the brown wire that is on my "aux connector".

Do I have an aux connector on my bike, or it that an add-on accessory? If it comes on the bikes stock, where the heck IS the aux connector?

EDIT:
Found a component on the wiring diagram called an "option connector - for sub-harness". Three wires: blue, green, and violet/red. Green is labeled Ground, the violet/red wire is labeled "Main SW". The blue wire has no label.

Do you recon that the violet/red wire labeled "Main SW" is, in fact, a switched 12V+ source?
Sometimes the subharness option connector requires the optional relay that plugs into the fuse panel, in order to make the option power hot with the key on. Verify that on the schematic.

If you open the pillion seat, just rearward of the gas cap is a three-pin connector that leads to the tail lamp assembly -- brake light, tail light, and ground. I don't remember which color wires did what, but it's easy to find with a multimeter. I tapped off of those wires to run my top box running and brake lights. I used Posi-Tap connectors, which aren't the sleekest option, but are super-easy!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMC5DII

-Jim G

If you open the pillion seat, just rearward of the gas cap is a three-pin connector that leads to the tail lamp assembly -- brake light, tail light, and ground. I don't remember which color wires did what, but it's easy to find with a multimeter. I tapped off of those wires to run my top box running and brake lights. I used Posi-Tap connectors, which aren't the sleekest option, but are super-easy!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMC5DII

-Jim G
Thank you!

The problem is that I can't use the wire in that set that feeds the taillight/running light to connect this kit properly.

I contacted Admore Lighting tech support. They confirmed that I cannot use the Bl/Bu wire that comes into the taillight assembly for the connection to their kit's tail light wire. There is an intelligent controller that is part of the LED light kit which allows setting some of the brake light and turn signal options. So, I must use a 12V+ switched wire from somewhere.

It looks more and more like I will have to buy the subharness and relay kit that allows accessories such as this to get the proper switched sources that they need.

As I thought, had to get the auxiliary sub-harness to get the connections needed for my Givi E370N top case Admore LED lights.

Holy cow, all three body panels on the left side of the bike had to come off to install it! (Not the best service design.)

Bike looks neked now, but the sub-harness is installed!

Aux Sub-harness Installed.jpg

Last edited:
Back