• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New metal skid plate in development

lab_rat

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been digging for quite a while around the web to find a bash/skid plate, and finally found something encouraging...

AltRider: Products All Products // Honda // NC700X

It looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for these pieces.

Hopefully the manufacturer will address ease of maintenance (changing oil), works with OEM centerstand, and blends in with the look of the bike.

We shall see...

I have been digging for quite a while around the web to find a bash/skid plate, and finally found something encouraging...

AltRider: Products All Products // Honda // NC700X

It looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for these pieces.

Hopefully the manufacturer will address ease of maintenance (changing oil), works with OEM centerstand, and blends in with the look of the bike.

We shall see...

Thanks L.R.! I just saw that last night, that something's in the works too!

My buddy with a Super Ten has some Altrider stuff, and it's really, really nice. :D

I am honestly thinking about it. I don't think making one would be that hard. Making it look factory is a different story, but I am pretty good at stuff like that. Maybe I will give it a try.

Where I ride, there is no need for a skid plate....

but surely one machined one will "LOOK" nice on my NCX, but first I need some real dual-purpose tires.
:p

Very true, Happy.

I think dual purpose tires are a necessity for doing light trail work with this bike, but since I have a few thousand miles until the original tires wear out, I'll buy the engine bash plate prior to switching to those tires.

I like the Dunlop tires - they look great... hopefully they perform as well as they look...

I was going to make one myself but figured I would write AltRider.com to ask about an approximate price and release date. They responded to me immediately and told me that it could take up to three more months for development and testing. She also said she was unsure of price at this time. She also asked if everyone on the forum would give them the time and patience to get the plate to production. It seems like they like the idea of working with us on the forum. Maybe if we wait they will do a group buy or give us a forum discount. Just an FYI.

I would be in for a group buy. If the quality is there.

Edit: If they make a good one, I will buy it with or without a group buy! I've already bumped the bottom end a few times.

Last edited:
It would not be a hard fabrication. The key will be to not give up too much of the already precious ground clearance. I have looked at making one that will support off the sump but still protect it against puncture, rather than the conventional designs that leave clearance above the sump. I plan to give this some thought and attention during the winter lull (if there is one).

It would not be a hard fabrication. The key will be to not give up too much of the already precious ground clearance. I have looked at making one that will support off the sump but still protect it against puncture, rather than the conventional designs that leave clearance above the sump. I plan to give this some thought and attention during the winter lull (if there is one).

This. I want one that is pure function over form. I don't want a poser "looks nice on the cover of the Touratech catalog" kinda thing. Minimal ground clearance loss!

I've even considered sticking a sheet of UHMW under there somehow, just far enough away from potential melting?

This. I want one that is pure function over form. I don't want a poser "looks nice on the cover of the Touratech catalog" kinda thing. Minimal ground clearance loss!

I've even considered sticking a sheet of UHMW under there somehow, just far enough away from potential melting?

UHMW is what I am considering as well. Machining to match the ribs in the sump. It won't melt at engine temperature so long as you keep it off of the pipe and converter.

Back