• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New NC700X for an Old Guy in Minnesota

Lars

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello folks-

I purchased a new 2013 holdover NC700X a couple of weeks ago. First new bike in my life since I bought a 1977 Honda CB400F new in 1978. Lots of other bikes have come and gone in the years between. I recently retired, and have entirely too much time to spend researching farkles and planning modifications. I'm really enjoying the NC700X, as it has plenty of torque and highway ability compared to the KLR650 I have been touring on. Nice to get some decent mileage too.

Got back from a 5500 mile trip through Death Valley, Nevada, and Utah a few weeks ago on the KLR, and bought the NC700X a few days later. I love the KLR and we have been many places together, but wringing the s**t out of the throttle trying to keep up with I-70 traffic at 41 deg F in Colorado got pretty frustrating this trip. Planning a trip from MN (home) to Montana with some Utah buddies in early September and will likely take the NC700X.

So - it's out to the garage to mount my Madstad 20" shield now. Already lowered the pegs, added highway pegs, SW-Motech rack, waiting on Givi topbox, Sargent seat, and LED lighting harness. Took the left side plastic off yesterday; what a cluster that is! Honda, do you really need four different types of screws, various grooves and prongs, and a bazillion plastic fasteners?? My age is showing here - just sold my '81 Yamaha SR500 which was basically a motor with wheels; not even a battery!

Looks like you have a great forum here and I've learned a fair bit about the bike already. Enjoy the summer riding, everyone!

Lars in Minnesota

Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself, and I'm glad you're enjoying your NC.

Retirement sounds great! I'll be joining you soon.

Welcome Lars,

You might want some sort of throttle lock.. even a big rubber O ring to just keep the throttle in place where you leave it. Otherwise the bike sounds setup for some nice long rides.

I'd suggest barkbusters and maybe bar risers as well for a more comfortable ride. Maybe even a Hondabike Pro rack with the open access to the gas cap. I love mine!

Last edited:
Welcome fellow minnesotan! Hope your garage was cooler than mine over the weekend for installing the madstad.

I70 was a challenge in my hatch back last time I was through that way...
My father did it on his Goldwing, and said it was the only time he ever opened the big GL1800 engine up to full throttle with my mother on the back...

Don't know how much better the NC is over the KLR, but I do know that on the IL tollway I had to be very conscientious of down shifting in order to accelerate away from traffic...

Last edited:
Welcome from Washington. And another old fella who once bought a brand new CB400F! Boy, I wish I still had that bike....
>Thom

Welcome from another old guy. Lots of us here. I sold a DR650 to get my NC. While I liked my DR, the NC better meets my needs. Enjoy.

Welcome from TN.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your NC700X. My current other bike is also a KLR. They make great tag team partners.

Me too. Got a 2013 KLR and 2013 NC. I love the ergos of the KLR but the engine (low end torque) and DCT of the NC have spoiled me. Trying to convince myself an AT DCT would provide the best of both worlds. Not convinced yet.

Thanks for the great welcome, everyone. Funny how we all sort of migrate into the same tribe, KLR's, NC's, Africa Twins, etc. Marrt, I'm experiencing the same thing - thought I would love the KLR forever, but to have torque available at any speed and to be able to swing my leg over the bike without doing yoga stretches is spoiling me with the NC. If I get some Shinko 705's on my NC, the old KLR may not get much exercise.

Got the NC just about where I like everything, now - Madstad 20", 2" Rox Risers, highway pegs, lowered driver pegs, favorite grips and a throttle rocker, SW Motech rack; Sargent seat comes tomorrow, got one of Dale's racks coming next week, Rigid LED driving lights go on next week and the auxiliary power port gets installed at the same time. After futzing around with my own relay and wire connections, I broke down and ordered all the right stuff from Eastern Beaver.

Still mulling over luggage - I've got a Givi E350 monolock topcase that I had laying around on it now - looks nice, lightweight. Thinking about getting a Givi Dolomiti 30L topcase, or a Hepco Becker Junior 40 (had one of these on my old Moto Guzzi for ten years and it was great). May try the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 soft panniers rather than mounting sideracks and hard bags.

Anyway, getting excited about my fall Montana trip- we will truly be a multi-cultural group with my NC, a Triumph Scrambler, a BMW R1200R, a purple Harley, and a Kawasaki Versys 1000!

Happy trails to all of you!

Junior 55, dude. It's amazing how much the added space makes a difference without being noticeable when you are riding, partly due to the shape.

you need to make a sticker that includes all of the bike logos like that one for Coexist made of the various religious symbols.

Got the NC just about where I like everything, now - Madstad 20", 2" Rox Risers, highway pegs, lowered driver pegs, favorite grips and a throttle rocker, SW Motech rack; Sargent seat comes tomorrow, got one of Dale's racks coming next week....

I added the 2" risers too. Also added a set of pegs that allow me to lower and extend the pegs forward. I'm 6'1" and the combination got me a lot closer to the KLR ergos. You can go to cycle-ergo.com and click options and play with the changes when modifying the bike. It's a great site.

Thanks, marrt- the cycle-ergo.com site is way cool! Mostly confirms what I already know, but great for comparing bikes.

Back