• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

No gauges on the instrument cluster - HELP!

Kiernan

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to go for a ride with some friends this morning and I have no gauges on the instrument cluster (NC700SD). I have indicator lights and all the idiot lights up top, but a completely blank screen for speedo and everything else.

It does look like there's condensation under the cover from some rain last night while it wasn't covered (wasn't supposed to rain).

Anyone have any bright ideas on how to fix this without trying to find a Japanese service center that speaks English?

It's definitely not a fuse. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I took everything apart and cracked open the housing for the instrument cluster and water poured out. I dismantled everything I felt comfortable dismantling and dried it as best as I could. I put it back together and tested it and now I get completely random lines on the LCD. It's not the same lines every time, and sometimes, it's nothing.

I'm going to buy a bag of rice to try to dry it out overnight. If that doesn't work, does anyone know the smallest part I can buy and what part number to replace an LCD or instrument cluster circuitry board?

What kills me is it got rained on harder last week and worked fine. It barely rained at all this time. I would have thought these items would at least be water resistant.

Water and electronic circuits don't like each other.
Combination meter moisture seal was broken. You could demand replacement even after motorcycle warranty has expired.
But now, when you opened it, it might be difficult. Did one of cover screw head was painted white or red as an indication of factory seal?
Most of a time it's almost impossible to fix this type of electronics. There is not only water but water vapor also. Evaporating water leaves conducting residue on circuit board. At least alcohol (not sake) bath would be required and blowing off with dry compressed air (canned).
You may not have a choice but to go to Japanese dealer. Google translator may help.
Good luck.

Yeah, the electronics are fried. I cleaned everything with alcohol as suggested and put it back together for another try. The LCD is working because I can touch random circuits on the back and get all kinds of cool stuff on the screen. Unfortunately, it won't show anything just sitting there.

I'm going to put it all back together and head to my local Icon store to see if they can suggest a good Honda service center locally.

I do have some concerns about this entire thing. #1) I bought my bike through an auction with really low KMS, #2) the housing leaks, #3) the part inside is what controls the odometer. So now, I'm left wondering if the super low mileage I thought it had was BS and someone changed this part before and put it back together poorly to the point that it wasn't even remotely water tight.

Total value of odometer and programs are stored on EEPROM (non-volatile memory) inside of PCM/ECM. By law they cannot be changed by nobody. Manufacturer must show that nobody unauthorized can access those information. I wouldn't be worried (if Yakuza didn't do something?;)). Your goal is to proof that moisture seal failure was manufacturer fault.

Last edited:
I'm beyond baffled right now. I put it back together and took it to the dealer I found. No English whatsoever. I showed him the LCD was blank. He looked confused.

He opened the frunk, took off the maintenance hatch cover, took off the fuse box cover, and couldn't figure out which fuse to pull. He then turned the key and everything worked perfectly.

I have honestly no idea why it suddenly decided to start working and neither did he. I wasted all day working on this damn thing and missed a great ride through the mountains.

I hope it keeps working for you. Make sure YOU make sure it's waterproof now!
Mine endured this last Louisiana spring with unprecedented rains and is fine.
This will be a distant memory after a few thousand klicks!

Back