• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Non-Motorcycle Alaska Trip

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just returned from Alaska after a 7 day cruise and 8 day land trip. The cruise is worth doing once. The land, however, is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. certainly one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had travelling. I only did about 60 miles of hiking but one step was more picturesque than the next. I did some excursions off the ship which were also really incredible. If you haven't been you should add it to the bucket.

I just returned from Alaska after a 7 day cruise and 8 day land trip. The cruise is worth doing once. The land, however, is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. certainly one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had travelling. I only did about 60 miles of hiking but one step was more picturesque than the next. I did some excursions off the ship which were also really incredible. If you haven't been you should add it to the bucket.
Yep, been on the Alaska cruise and land tours. The cruising is good. Riding on the train in Alaska was amazing. Then, too, riding a motorcycle in Alaska, Yukon, and the Canadian Rockies was also amazing. What I like most is there is so much land to see there that hasn’t yet been messed up by humans.

I’m glad you got to make the trip, and I agree it should be on a lot of bucket lists.

very cool Mike!

My wife and I are celebrating our 50th anniversary with a trip to Alaska later this year. Some boat, some land, some train. We have one free day in Homer I think, and she wants me to rent a motorcycle for that day. I'm considering it, although since I've ridden in every state in the lower 48, and that would make #49, I wonder if that would "force" me to go to Hawaii and rent a bike to say I've ridden in all 50. I really don't have a desire to go to Hawaii lol.

Last edited:
very coo Mikel!

My wife and I are celebrating our 50th anniversary with a trip to Alaska later this year. Some boat, some land, some train. We have one free day in Homer I think, and she wants me to rent a motorcycle for that day. I'm considering it, although since I've ridden in every state in the lower 48, and that would make #49, I wonder if that would "force" me to go to Hawaii and rent a bike to say I've ridden in all 50. I really don't have a desire to go to Hawaii lol.
Ride in Alaska. When you get back, fly down to Puerto Rico, rent a bike. When you get back, you now rode 49 + 1.....hehehe

very coo Mikel!

Renting a bike on Kauai was worth every penny to me (and my 3 buddies)!
Now I just need to get the last 18 or so states (NE and NW + Alaska)

very coo Mike!

Congrats on the 50th wedding anniversary! I'm sure you're going to enjoy the trip. If you are going to to Seward, the Kenai Fjord cruise is an absolute must-do. What cruise line are you travelling with? I actually liked the train trip but some people complained about the 9 hours. Seemed like 2 hours to me as I enjoyed it so much.

Thanks. We are doing a 28 iceberg visiting cruise 1 day, I think a 7-hour train trip to Denali Natl Park, a jeep rental thing in Denali, another small cruise one day. We won't be on a long multi day cruise.

I spent 9 days in Alaska in 1992 sleeping in a tent on the tundra bowhunting for barren ground caribou. There isn't a whole lot to see out on the tundra lol, rolling hills of alder bush and lichen..and caribou (saw thousands) and grizzly bears (saw 5)

Renting a bike on Kauai was worth every penny to me (and my 3 buddies)!
Now I just need to get the last 18 or so states (NE and NW + Alaska)
This is going to sound stupid, but I actually got sick of Hawaii. When I was in the USAF we flew our sorties to Hickam AFB. We went there so much most of us took it for granted and stopped appreciating what was right in front of us; it seemed more of a chore than the actual gift it was. We had fun chasing girls, hanging out on beaches, and drinking; which is fine of course. But If I wasn't young, dumb, and full of piss and vinegar, i could have gotten a lot more out of it.

This is going to sound stupid, but I actually got sick of Hawaii. When I was in the USAF we flew our sorties to Hickam AFB. We went there so much most of us took it for granted and stopped appreciating what was right in front of us; it seemed more of a chore than the actual gift it was. We had fun chasing girls, hanging out on beaches, and drinking; which is fine of course. But If I wasn't young, dumb, and full of piss and vinegar, i could have gotten a lot more out of it.
Thanks for your service, I was USAF for 8 years but didn't get the pleasure of Hawaii, I got Nevada desert (Indian Springs) and Frozen North (Grand Forks)...

I
Thanks for your service, I was USAF for 8 years but didn't get the pleasure of Hawaii, I got Nevada desert (Indian Springs) and Frozen North (Grand Forks)...
I also spent 8 years and after 6 week's basic at Lakeland, 16 week's tech school at Shepherd, the next 7.5 years were at Scott AFB.

Back