• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Now it's OK to be called a biker

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
I have just received the following in an email from our local HOC rep
I'm also pleased that activists have even changed the definition of the word biker!
The Oxford University Press who publish the Oxford English Dictionary, have responded positively to the MAG activist's campaign to change their definition of a 'biker'. Back in September 2012 MAG activists Tracy Hammond from Peterborough and Jenny Cook from Paignton among others, wrote to the University Press highlighting that those who saw themselves as bikers were a diverse group of people and not just 'long-haired and dressed in dirty denims' as their original definition stated.
After a string of correspondence lasting four months, the OED has at last acknowledged the offence caused and the inaccuracy of their entry.
The new definition, as of 22nd Feb, reads "A motorcyclist, especially one who is a member of a gang or group" Rather unfortunately its illustrative expansion is 'a biker was involved in a collision with a car' so one stereotype has been replaced with another, albeit a marginally less offensive one!
It is however, another good example of how MAG members undertake to achieve change and improve the lot of motorcycling and don't just moan. Well done all.

So what does 'being a member of a gang or group' have to do with riding a motorcycle. I would wager a lot of us non bikers do a lot more riding than the so called bikers

Even with the new definition I for one would rather be called a motorcyclist than a biker

I work with several BIKERS. All of them together ride as much as me. But it takes them 5 years to get as many miles as I do in 6 months.
I'm a rider, not a biker. No matter what an over educated idiot says.
If they want to call me a cager that's ok, but I still put at least 20,000 miles a year on those also.
When anyone calls one of the bikers a gang member, they will say "I belong to a club , not a gang"
Being called a biker is an insult to me.

I don't care what the dictionary calls a biker, don't call me a biker. I've corrected many people when they called me a biker. I'm a rider or a motorcyclist. I will let the Harley wannabes and metric cruiser posers have that designation.
Bikers polish chrome.....I don't polish chrome. I turn it blue.
Mike

I don't care what the dictionary calls a biker, don't call me a biker. I've corrected many people when they called me a biker. I'm a rider or a motorcyclist. I will let the Harley wannabes and metric cruiser posers have that designation.
Bikers polish chrome.....I don't polish chrome. I turn it blue.
Mike

oh so that make you a biker now
getmecoat.gif

I don't care if they call me rider, biker, moron or whatever. I just ride my bikes and enjoy it as much as I can

Just call me "the old guy who lumbers down the road having fun, and doesn't care what others think." On second thought "rider" is shorter.

Over here in Switzerland, a biker can mean a cyclist or a motorcyclist.
A rider usually means a horse-rider.
I am called a Biker and I call myself a Biker. No shame in this over here and in most parts of the world.
:p

Over hear, a biker is generally a Cruiser/Harley rider that either thinks he's a bad-ass or want to be. Most tend to want shiny things on their bikes that serve no function, other than to be shiny.
With that being said, there are some bikers that I do respect. The dirty old Harley that earns it keep, not the shiny bike that gets ridden twice a year.

At one time I would have been insulted to be called a biker and I'm still not really keen on it. However these days in the UK it has become used to describe anyone who rides. I guess that this is just another example of the difference in laguage from one side of the pond to the other

Biker, rider, motorcyclist, who cares? Ride and enjoy! I've owned Cruisers, three wheelers, Dual Sports, and now an Adventure bike. I've been in a biker group, been to bike rallies in several states, and always had a good time. Some bikers are like the stereotype, and some are the best people you will ever meet. I wave at all two wheelers no matter what they choose to ride because if they are having as much fun as I am, then its all good. Not offended by the term Biker.

I've certainly been called worse things than a biker. Of course, I was a biker but never a member of any club or gang. As Groucho Marx asked, "Why would I join a club that would have me for a member?"

I've certainly been called worse things than a biker. Of course, I was a biker but never a member of any club or gang. As Groucho Marx asked, "Why would I join a club that would have me for a member?"

I think the same would apply to me.

Most people just call me obnoxious. I don't think it has anything to do with how I get from here to there.

Back