• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Poor Man's Power Outlet

NCJim

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a cheapskate!

I bought a Battery Tender Jr power cord from DennisKirk for $9.00.

I took the two screws that hold the front panel of the frunk interior out and removed the cover. I drilled a small hole in the plastic cover, passed the cord through and attached to the battery terminals.

VICTORY!

I now have a fused, SAE plug connector to my battery. I can connect an SAE cigarette plug adapter onto it a connect my GPS, cell phone, headset charger, and the like.

Once the season is done I just connect to my Battery Tender and my battery is happy until Spring.

Whole project is about 10 minutes.

Tools needed
10mm socket with extender and screw driver attachment to remove and reinstall battery screws
Power drill with medium bit for pilot hole and I used a counter sink bit to widen the hole
Phillips head screw driver to remove 2 frunk screws

I thought about this when I was installing my SAE cord from my Battery Tender. I had installed a cigarette recep inside the frunk already so I ran the SAE plug to the right side of the NC (to the outside). I can charge the NC from outside. I like to keep the frunk locked because of dangerous items (self protection). I have the Tender SAE plug hidden by the clutch cable but easily accessible.

Done that long time ago, but with CTEK adapter. Same outcome-fused, and can charge the battery or plug in cigarette light adapter and use whatever with it. I got all those adapters for 'free ' with CTEK charger

I did the same thing with my 12V socket. The dealer did not have the OEM 12V socket on hand and I wanted something now. They had a generic 12V socket that I wired directly to the battery. I drill a hole toward the very bottom of the front facing wall to pass the wires through. I S-folded the excess harness and tucked it behind the tool kit retaining straps. Works for me until I feel like buying the OEM. Cost me $10 and took ten minutes.

I got the fused, switched USB+SAE talked about in another post on the forum, its attached outside with adhesive and goes up the frame and through the front of the frunk, there's 2 small holes on either side of the battery compartment near the bottom corners that lead outside, no cutting or sawing necessary. Originally had it on my bars but i broke the mount and used the backup. I might get a picture later if interested.

Back