• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question: How to clean the air-filter (and maintenance)?

The only way you get more airflow as K&N advertises, is to have a more porous filter. :rolleyes:

Chris

Not entirely accurate. Increasing the surface area of the filter (larger and more frequent pleats) also allows for more air flow. Also, designing it for air acceleration vice simply just air filtering is another way (though space prohibitive on a small bike).

Thanks for the video link, you guys! Air filter changes look like a bit of a PITA!

What's the electrical connection they show being removed? What's it for; what's it do?

I used to run a K&N on a farm pickup (back when I was younger and just getting started in oil analysis). I've also run them on dirt bikes before. That farm pickup is one of the only on-road vehicles I've ever had whose engine was brought to a near-total halt by lack of air. It literally wouldn't go over 40 mph one day after I drove out of the desert to go home from the fields. Cleaning the filter restored the truck to normal performance.

K&N filters _can_ filter very well. They usually don't, and that's usually due to improper cleaning and/or oiling. Most people either over-oil or under-oil, or they have soap residue on the media, or they harm the media with their cleaners or cleaning tools.

The NC700X owners manual specifically state not to try to clean these filters. They are to be replaced. They are paper elements and they break down when soiled.

IMO, if the filter was easily accessible I would opt for the K/N filter. Probably would clean and oil it every 6 months at my oil change interval. No big deal.

When it becomes a job involving multiple panels and covers being removed. I opted for the factory filter. One and Done. Every 2 years based on my mileage.

"Every 2 years based on my mileage."

You resurrected a 2 years old thread, but IMO,
the filter change/inspection is more dependent on where you ride most.
The service interval in the owner's manual is just for urban/street riding.
If you're off road on dusty trails for any extended amount of time, the filters
need changing more often.
Last filter change, I noticed seeds and bird feathers :)

IMO, if the filter was easily accessible I would opt for the K/N filter. Probably would clean and oil it every 6 months at my oil change interval. No big deal.

When it becomes a job involving multiple panels and covers being removed. I opted for the factory filter. One and Done. Every 2 years based on my mileage.

Not bad at all, the process,

20,000 miles

e5168d0db18490ee2ec5a636de15f614.jpg

Got 42,000 miles and still have not checked mine. I have ordered a new but it has not come in yet. I have run about 800 miles of gravel roads and some were really dusty.

I was told this was a really super site with lots of knowledgeable people who could help me with every aspect of NC700X maintenance and repair! Cool!

I now now exactly what to do when my air filter comes up for inspection/replacement.. Thanks guys!

Back