• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

12v / 5v USB combo charging port - not enough output?

nemesis98

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed a 12V / 5V usb combo plug on the handlebars of my NC700X for GPS/phone charging purposes.
Problem is, although I am getting 12+v at the source, and 12+v up to where the inline fuse is, I am getting way less voltage at the plugs output.... not even enough to charge the phone at all. But the charging works when plugged in to my truck or house. (to troubleshot the phone and charging usb wire I was using)

My guess is the plug itself is somehow reducing the voltage to practically nothing for some reason. Should I just get a different type plug, or is there something I'm missing?
(BTW - the plug is a cheap China-Made charging port - nothing fancy)

I just installed a 12V / 5V usb combo plug on the handlebars of my NC700X for GPS/phone charging purposes.
Problem is, although I am getting 12+v at the source, and 12+v up to where the inline fuse is, I am getting way less voltage at the plugs output.... not even enough to charge the phone at all. But the charging works when plugged in to my truck or house. (to troubleshot the phone and charging usb wire I was using)

My guess is the plug itself is somehow reducing the voltage to practically nothing for some reason. Should I just get a different type plug, or is there something I'm missing?
(BTW - the plug is a cheap China-Made charging port - nothing fancy)
When you say "combo plug" I assume you mean a plug that has both 12V and usb outputs. Something like this:
556204.jpg
The 12v plug on left should have same as battery voltage if checking with a meter. If you have 12V in and not 12V out there is a problem with the plug or your connection.

That is pretty much what I have - only it's this version:41Xqq7N838L._SY450_.jpg
I just now, for the heck of it - tried wiring in an old 12v Cigarette Lighter socket I had lying around
When testing -

I put a meter to the lead wires from the bike: 12V
Plugged lead wires into old 12v Cigarette Lighter: 12V
Plugged small USB adapter into 12v Cigarette Lighter: doesn't work.
No phone charge, no glowing blue LED indicator on the USB adapter - nada
But that same 12v Cigarette Lighter USB adapter works fine in my truck 12v Cigarette Lighter socket

So I just don't get it. Everything seems fine, but when I go to use it - it's a fail

I ordered this: dual plug.jpg and this: volt temp plug.jpg because I liked the plug better than what I have now, and I thought voltmeter / Temp guage was a cool gadget

But I really would like them to actually work..

Oh, I am tapping into the white/Black (blue?) stripped wire at the small red plug near the postive terminal of the battery - it's a switched wire and I liked that idea better than right to the battery so it's powered all the time

Last edited:
Pretty sure - The positive lead has an in-line fuse, and that's hooked to the switched white/blue line from the red plug near the pos battery terminal.
The other lead is direct to battery negative terminal.

I might start over again and see what's up - but everything seems fine and tests fine on the multi-meter pos & neg probes as well when I hook them up
(I'm using Posi-Taps so it makes it easy to re-work if needed)

So you have checked voltage at the terminal on back of plug. If so, there should be voltage inside plug even if polarity reversed. If voltage inside plug compare polarity to your truck. The USB converter from your truck would not work if polarity reversed, and USB converter can get fried if hooked up backwards. (Don't ask me how I know.)

I am going to have to take a real good look and see whats going on. I'm thinking the 12v / 5v socket is the culprit - but I could be wrong (as my cigarette lighter outlet test didn't work either)

So I'm going to go straight to the battery itself - hard wire right in, and see what happens
At least that way I know it's getting the full voltage without going thru any circuits or harnesses etc. It's a start to seeing what the issue might be...

"So I'm going to go straight to the battery itself - hard wire right in, and see what happens
At least that way I know it's getting the full voltage without going thru any circuits or harnesses etc."

That's what I would do - except - your 5vdc converter for the USB ports will always be on drawing quiescent power. Not much, but it will pull down a battery if unused. Also note - a high resistive voltmeter will read good voltage that can be severely weakened with a current draw if you have bad (high resistance) connections. Check the voltage with a load on it. You might have a shoddily wired outlet assembly (made in China!).
Jim

I'll venture a guess...

12v sockets are standardized in radius and location of the power connectors, not depth. As with everything from China, they don't follow the standard particularly well.

Possible the socket you plugged in doesn't light up because it doesn't follow the standard particularly well either, and isn't getting a connection inside the plug.

I have the same connector and have had the same problem, had to use a different 12v to 5v phone charger... also the 5v usb plug on the bike doesn't charge my phone, missing a resistor on the data lines to tell it that it's a charger so the phone doesn't pull enough power to charge the battery (though it will run off of that power, it doesn't indicate that it's charging).

I'm hooked directly into the battery with only the problems mentioned above.

Hope you figured it out.

Back