• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 Model Revision: Do changes retrofit???

walawn

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys. I'm not sure if this topic has been posted on before. I just saw today the model revision for the 2016 MY NC700X. I'm a little upset because I would have waited to buy this year instead of last if I new these changes were coming. I think it's a much better looking bike. I love the new bodywork, new display, shorty muffler, and taller windscreen. My question is, would the changes on the 2016 retrofit to a 2012-2015 NC700X or NC700XD? Inquiring minds want to know. Give me your thoughts on this...

You would probably only be able to change the muffler. Changing the plastics might work because the frame is these same, but it would be very expensive since you would also have to replace EVERYTHING, including the frunk, frunk lid etc... The display is another matter entirely, the firmware may or may not be compatible with the sensors on the bike, and replacing it requires you to legally place a sticker on the bike with the original mileage, so perhaps only the dealer could do this. I'm sure they'd be happy to take your money though.

You would be much better off spending the money to make your 2015 actually ride better than the 2016 by upgrading the suspension, tires, and installing a Russell Day Long seat, putting in a catless exhaust header, :p, if you haven't already done those things...

I ordered a 2016 to be delivered sometime this month. Before I bought it, I attempted to negotiate a 2015 for a very low price, plan was to spend the difference in price in upgrades as I've mentioned. That didn't work out, the dealer didn't come down far enough on the 2015 so I'm getting the 2016 instead.

You could go to an on-line parts catalog yourself and price out the plastics. I'm guessing you'd be in it for a minimum of $1500. You could always sell the 2015 parts to recover some cost.

What with major revisions to the upper front fairing area, I would question if the mounting tabs on the frame might differ. That would require further investigation

As for acquiring a 2016 muffler, there should soon be some for sale as people swap them out for louder ones.

You would be way better off financially, in my opinion, to just sell the old bike and get a 2016 if that's what you want.

Last edited:
Ok guys. I'm not sure if this topic has been posted on before. I just saw today the model revision for the 2016 MY NC700X. I'm a little upset because I would have waited to buy this year instead of last if I new these changes were coming. I think it's a much better looking bike. I love the new bodywork, new display, shorty muffler, and taller windscreen. My question is, would the changes on the 2016 retrofit to a 2012-2015 NC700X or NC700XD? Inquiring minds want to know. Give me your thoughts on this...

lesson learned then? always google to see if there is a new model in the horizon before buying...

I just want the new muffler. it is said to be lighter... i also like the look more.

The 2016 muffler will set you back $300 + shipping for the muffler and the cover piece. not TOO bad, it is on my list of purchases for this summer.

There are smaller things like the 90 degree tire valve stems that you can swap out next time you change the tires. You could swap out the front forks if the suspension is improved. Otherwise yes, the plastics would get expensive.

I'm worried that as soon as I buy a 2016 DCT 700 the 750 will arrive on our shores!!!!!!! By the way, why don't we have the 750 anyway?

Sam:)

Last edited:
I'm worried that a soon as I buy a 2016 DCT 700 the 750 will arrive on our shores!!!!!!! By the way, why don't we have the 750 anyway?

Sam
I subscribe to the belief the very fuel efficient NC700X and 700S were brought to market in time for the tiered licensing that went into affect in the European Community in late 2011 (?). The new A2 license holder was restricted to bikes of 47 hp. When the 500s were introduced two years later they are Honda's product offering to the very large and important A2 market. Honda moved the 47 hp 700s to the 54 hp 750s to separate them on the sales floor from the 500s. In the US we always got the 51 hp version of the engine and Honda North America, the US importer, sees no need to bring the 750s in as the 700X sold and still sells well enough. Bringing in the 750s requires separate part inventories and support for two very similar bikes. Three hp isn't the deal to us as it was in the EC where it was 6 hp.

I just purchased and took possession of a 2016 nc700xgd (DCT). I wanted some accessories for it and the dealer ordered in error parts for a 2015; including a touring windscreen, light bar, rear rack, heated grips and a power socket. None of the parts fit. Bolt patterns, etc. were all different. This may not answer your specific questions but it shows there is substantial differences between the two models.

I would enjoy your 2015 for couple years and hope the European version comes in as the next revision (LED headlight, & Showa forks).

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for. I have the 750X DCT with Showa DBV forks and they are horrible. The kick through the bars over sharp bumps is really bad. I'm trying to find the spec for the fork oil and air gap in case they have made some mitsake in assembly.
Mike

I am planning my purchase of an NC700X (standard trans).

Should I wait for a 2016 model, or go for a 2015 where I can bolt on all the goodies I want (see below)?

PS: Brand new member today and its my birthday... I hope I am not violating any board rules posting this. AC.

---------------------------------------------

Hi, folks! I'm a longtime motorcyclist with a series of Honda cruisers. My current ride is an 03 Honda VTX1800 Retro which I love and is in fine shape. But for the first time in a decade, I am thinking of a new ride: The NC700X! Since I do a lot of research before a purchase, I thought I would login and learn from you good people. My vision for the NC700X is primarily riding alone, 99% onroad... but I kinda want to dress up the NC to at least be able to (and look like) it could take off down a gravel, dirt or even mud road! I am interested in your experiences with heated grips, with aftermarket accessories like grip guards, engine guards, skid plates, accessory fenders for rear wheel, light bars, etc. I am definitely looking at the Honda hard cases rear and side, and the tall windscreen. Probably some adjusted driver footpegs as I am six five feet tall. The biggest change would be the smaller engine, the chain drive (I've always had a shaft drive), and using the "frunk" and the rear gas fill. Anyway, thanks for any wisdom you might send my way. Thanks, AC

The Honda "tall" windscreen on 2012-2015 is OK up to maybe 5'10. Over that and it tends to cause more noise. I don't expect the 2016 to be different. We know they made a lot of changes on the 2016 so I would be cautious about expecting things like skid plates, engine guards, etc to work. Heated grips and hand guards shouldn't be an issue as those are pretty generic.

The heated grips on the 2016 are not the same. Rear rack doesn't transfer over either. Screen mounts are different and there's no touring screen. Seat seems harder but I'm going to check next time I am in dealer. Suspension is firmer both ends. I hate it but I think it's what most people wanted. Improvements to dct are good
In answer to original questions. Tank under seat is no problem. Use Rokstraps for a tail pack and it takes extra 90 seconds when refuelling. Be careful with lowering pegs. I grounded my boot several times and am not an aggressive rider. Forget taller screen. Go lower and put your head in clear air
Just my opinions
Mike

Back