• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best chain for the NCX?

turbodieseli4i6

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BikeBandit.com just sent me an email with a 25% off coupon on DID and RK chains. Coupon code is SAVEMORE.
Thought I would ask the NC group what is the best,longest lasting,reliable chain in their experience.
Might as well add your choice of sprockets also.
I don't need a chain or sprockets yet, but I like having them before I need them.
I tend too want the best that I can get that will last a long time with as little frictional loss as I can get.
The one thing I know for sure is, I don't have as much experience as a lot of you guys!
So In your humble opinion. What are you going to put on your NC, when the time comes?
A little reading if you you want.
All About Chains

I am going to go with the Gold DID 520VX2 (or ERV3) because it looks badass. I am sure that an RK or EK chain would be just as good for the meager power that our bikes put out. Longevity will be more an issue of care in installation and maintenance than of tensile strength rating. Make sure the sprockets are good as new chain on bad sprockets is a waste of money and time. Also be sure you can properly install the riveted master link. Some staking tools can only stake the hollow pin links. I have a sideplate spacing tool that I use to assure that the sideplate is staked at the proper width.

Last edited:
Hey bayou boy, that is one long sentence. You probably have some good words in there but some organization would be good.

No problem you don't like the way I try to make a point and want to make fun of my writting skills you will NOT hear from me anymore thought I was helping some you just can't help they know better so do it your way and good luck... I'M OUT

Using punctuation is a matter of common courtesy to readers more than it is a matter of writing skills. Your posts are hard to read and I'm sure I can't be the only one here who just doesn't even bother to try.

In order to be helpful, your posts have to be read. In order to be read they have to be readable. So if it is your goal to be helpful then the first step is to not make your posts such an ordeal to slog through that nobody bothers.

Nobody expects perfect English composition from anyone here, but breaking your posts into sentences instead of something that resembles an explosion at an alphabet soup factory would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I am going to go with the Gold DID 520VX2 (or ERV3) because it looks badass. I am sure that an RK or EK chain would be just as good for the meager power that our bikes put out. Longevity will be more an issue of care in installation and maintenance than of tensile strength rating. Make sure the sprockets are good as new chain on bad sprockets is a waste of money and time. Also be sure you can properly install the riveted master link. Some staking tools can only stake the hollow pin links. I have a sideplate spacing tool that I use to assure that the sideplate is staked at the proper width.

Do I read correctly, in the link, that the chain costs $8.95?

No problem you don't like the way I try to make a point and want to make fun of my writting skills you will NOT hear from me anymore thought I was helping some you just can't help they know better so do it your way and good luck... I'M OUT

Don't go away! Perfect grammar or punctuation isn't mandatory here. Heck they let me stay.(So far anyway) Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:

Half the Power Loss
(Compared with Normal O-Ring)
D.I.D’s PATENTED X-Ring construction reduces friction by twisting between the side plates instead of being squashed. Normal O-Rings and other makers’ modified O-Rings have squashed points that increase friction. The twisting action of the X-Ring disperses the pressure and minimizes power loss.
X-Ring is a U.S.A. Registered Trademark of D.I.D; Daido Kogyo Co. Ltd. Japan

1.5 to 2 TImes Longer Wear Resistance
The X-Ring’s four contact points greatly increase its sealing performance. This keeps the dirt out and the lubrication in much better than any other O-Ring. X-Rings have the greatest wear resistance of any other type of O-Ring or Non-O-Ring chain.

D.I.D. Racing Chains and DirtStar® Rims

I'm impressed with what I have read about D.I.D. chains. Anytime we can turn frictional loss into more mpg, the better off we are.
Also the more contact points will help keep dirt out and the lubricant in. If it does what its says, that's great!

Keep it coming guy's.

now let me have a good looky...
nope canna find here.......

ouch da bastid just hit me in da eye..here it is folks....
dummy-future-lawyer-6937-p.jpg

Oh, C'mon man! Let's not be so thin-skinned :) Bike forums are great, but tough on ya sometimes... just comes with the territory!
Sense of humor and some self-criticism is essential :)
AND.... we definitely need more emoticons!!!! Many times a written word does not carry the intended undertones..... Sad, but true! (great Metallica song btw) :)

LoL about the missing periods
Dont be too touchy we are not bad we are just pointing out it is difficult and hard for us to read all this we like to hear more from you it will be great if we all use some sort of common language no problem from me take care and ride safe

:D

OK...I looked it up...the whole chain is $125. That seems more reasonable. I'm looking to replace both "sprockets" the chain rests on.
I always do that on racing bikes. Makes sense to pair new with new.

Once upon a time (now don't laugh), my chain and sprocket got worn out in my "new" Ninja 250.
And I really thought this was it, I have to change the bike.

Ya ya I was a novice then.
And then I realised we could just change those parts and the Ninja was like brand new.
:p

Half the Power Loss
D.I.D’s PATENTED X-Ring construction reduces friction by twisting between the side plates instead of being squashed. Normal O-Rings and other makers’ modified O-Rings have squashed points that increase friction. The twisting action of the X-Ring disperses the pressure and minimizes power loss.
X-Ring is a U.S.A. Registered Trademark of D.I.D; Daido Kogyo Co. Ltd. Japan

1.5 to 2 TImes Longer Wear Resistance
The X-Ring’s four contact points greatly increase its sealing performance. This keeps the dirt out and the lubrication in much better than any other O-Ring. X-Rings have the greatest wear resistance of any other type of O-Ring or Non-O-Ring chain.

D.I.D. Racing Chains and DirtStar® Rims

I'm impressed with what I have read about D.I.D. chains. Anytime we can turn frictional loss into more mpg, the better off we are.
Also the more contact points will help keep dirt out and the lubricant in. If it does what its says, that's great!

Keep it coming guy's.

Great marketing, any objective evidence? I googled it, but guess what, no chain tests! Hard to believe some mag never set up a test bed for chains - it wouldn't be hard to do.

Great marketing, any objective evidence? I googled it, but guess what, no chain tests! Hard to believe some mag never set up a test bed for chains - it wouldn't be hard to do.

DID is a stand-up outfit and they are good for what they say. However, bear in mind that the comparison is vs. o-ring chain. If the comparison were vs. a different brand of x-ring chain (say RK or EK) then the DID would not come out so far ahead. I'm trying to recall when I have heard a discouraging word about the performance of a DID x-ring chain. Nope, can't think of any. I still hold that the greatest difference in length and quality of service between the top brands top models is going to be installation and maintenance.

So, hell, I'll buy the pretty gold one. I feel sure though that the others are just as good.

Just thinking out loud, given the lower power output, will it be possible to use a smaller 420 or 428 chain? Considering I was using 520VX2 on GSXR750 with more than double the power, it seems overkill to use on NC. It will save some rotational mass and money. Will have to change sprockets at the same time though.

Back