• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dale Rack Redesign

New rear rack interest and price point

• I want one for under $200

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • $200-300 OK

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • $300+ OK

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • All of these are too much

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don't want one

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

CamaroEric

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm up for the design challenge. @mzflorida
I actually do a lot of sheet metal design. I have a few local sources that may not necessarily be 'economical' since they cater to some higher end customers, but we have a good relationship and I can talk to their team directly. They are really good to work with. I do have a few other sources that are more economical, and get cheaper the more you buy.

Is Dale around? I don't want to step on toes.

How many of you would be interested?

What features would be necessary?

Anybody up for Anodize vs Powdercoat?

Does it need to be all welded? We could possibly do a more modular bolt-together design to allow selection of features.

Since I have a 2012, that one will be easy, I'll need to see/test fit some later models as well.

-Eric

The rear seat from Corbin is over 400$. I think depending on the materials used 300-400$ would be fair for this project. I would personally like to see a welded design for aesthetic purposes but I am up for a modular setup if it looks clean. What measurements do you need for the 2018-2020 model?

The rear seat from Corbin is over 400$. I think depending on the materials used 300-400$ would be fair for this project. I would personally like to see a welded design for aesthetic purposes but I am up for a modular setup if it looks clean. What measurements do you need for the 2018-2020 model?
I'm not sure yet if multiple versions would even be necessary. I think firstly I can design something for my bike. I know there are some other members that are fairly local to me, hopefully we can meet up and swap the rack and take notes, especially if they have newer models.

I think @TNHoosier is or was fairly local with a new model if he's interested in helping. There were a couple in west NC, I'll have to track down who that was.

PS: Thanks those of you that said 'I don't want one'! :D Don't want to leave anyone out! LOL

I actually do a lot of sheet metal design. I have a few local sources that may not necessarily be 'economical' since they cater to some higher end customers, but we have a good relationship and I can talk to their team directly. They are really good to work with. I do have a few other sources that are more economical, and get cheaper the more you buy.

Does it need to be all welded? We could possibly do a more modular bolt-together design to allow selection of features.

Since I have a 2012, that one will be easy, I'll need to see/test fit some later models as well.

-Eric

Awesome idea! Thanks for taking this up. I'm interested.

I think feature parity with Dale's Rack is sufficient: loops to tie things down, general shape of Dale's Rack, wide enough mouth to easily manipulate fuel cap.

Subjectively, I think powder coated looks nicer and feels more rugged. But no strong preferences here. Let the lowest bidder win is my vote.

I would stay with welded along the theme of keeping things simple. If folks want additional functionality from their racks, let individuals modify them to their needs. It's too hard to predict future requirements and can be costly.

Edit: the NC700 community here is pretty small so you may not get enough volume. Maybe reaching out worldwide would help. There's a Facebook group for 700/750 riders that's quite active: https://www.facebook.com/groups/714862508587467/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT

Last edited:
I'm not sure yet if multiple versions would even be necessary. I think firstly I can design something for my bike. I know there are some other members that are fairly local to me, hopefully we can meet up and swap the rack and take notes, especially if they have newer models.

I think @TNHoosier is or was fairly local with a new model if he's interested in helping. There were a couple in west NC, I'll have to track down who that was.

PS: Thanks those of you that said 'I don't want one'! :D Don't want to leave anyone out! LOL
I am located in Dayton, TN. I am not interested in getting a Dale rack, but I might be able to meet somewhere semi-local for a fitment test on my '21 model.

-Eric
I'm glad I sparked something. If this moves forward, I'm pretty sure some of the owners in the UK NC forum would be interested. Thanks for taking it on Eric!

I'm glad I sparked something. If this moves forward, I'm pretty sure some of the owners in the UK NC forum would be interested. Thanks for taking it on Eric!
Are the US spec models the same fitment as overseas?

I had a bug the past few days, but I think I'll be taking a look at my seat this weekend. Should be pretty fun to do. I don't really want one either, but I like to design things. Maybe I'll run one for a bit if I already have it...

Back