• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT - Hidden secrets?

woodbar

Reaction score
Visit site
I only just realised the lower R/H side of the engine is actually a plastic cover - I've got to see what's underneath?

P1010612.jpg

There seems to be quite a bit going on under this finishing panel -

P1010609.jpg

There are three solenoids just in front of the DCT oil filter - two are marked, one with a "P" and the other an "L" ?

P1010610_cr.jpg

Then there is some kind of actuator or sensor to the rear of the dip-stick tube

P1010611.jpg

All very interesting (if you are technically inquisitive that is) - I only have the NON DCT schematic diagram so I can't find out the specific functions of these bits - yet! (and yes, I Know it's all to do with the auto-box)

There are three solenoids just in front of the DCT oil filter - two are marked, one with a "P" and the other an "L" ?[/QUOTE]

View attachment 7491

Are those solenoids or pressure sensors? They look very similair to the sensors I see on the Caterpillar equipment I work on. Thanks for the pictures. It is interesting to look at. I am by no means a mechanic. I do repair work and brand new machines. Different than working on things that break down in the field.

I was thinking something like one sensor would tell it which mode you have selected and cause a specific reaction while another sensor would interact with the clutches.

Or since it has two clutches maybe the two identified harnesses have something to do with telling a specific clutch when to engage or disengage.

Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for all the comments - I was hoping some might find it interesting.

Just to reply to some of the comments - I assumed the 3 items are solenoids as the twin clutches are hydraulically operated so I assumed that these could be the actuators and the 3rd maybe to control the the rate engagement (i.e. slipping) but I'm only guessing. I'd like to get the service manual but Honda UK don't have them yet - I could get one sent from the States but the postage is a bit OTT.

Porkie - you get full marks - actually I had forgotten the Fenda extender - the 2 mods I had in mind were the lack of wiring to the stock horn (more like a "RoadRunner" beep-beep - it just had to go - a bad joke as far as I am concerned and unsafe!) and the new piece of flexible conduit which is extending the normal horn loom back up to the new relay for my twin Fiamms mounted, one each side, in the cavity under the fake air scoops - I keep getting told the horn sounds like a Bentley now? So including the extender there are 3 mods really:cool:

As far as the pictures are concerned I was using my SYD-0808 LED lighting panel for illumination in a rather dull garage - it's a very simple device but gives far superior lighting compared to using flash I think.

Like to give me a hint where to get one?

I'll give you another hint: these 3 "selenoids" are actually EOP sensors (oil pressure) and have the same P/N.

Top: No. 2 (Upper) Clutch EOP sensor (no mark)
Middle: (Middle) Clutch line EOP sensor (P)
Bottom: No. 1 (Lower) Clutch EOP sensor (1)

EDIT: I almost forgot... The black box on the side is a "Shift spindle angle sensor"

Last edited:
I'll give you another hint: these 3 "selenoids" are actually EOP sensors (oil pressure) and have the same P/N.

Top: No. 2 (Upper) Clutch EOP sensor (no mark)
Middle: (Middle) Clutch line EOP sensor (P)
Bottom: No. 1 (Lower) Clutch EOP sensor (1)

EDIT: I almost forgot... The black box on the side is a "Shift spindle angle sensor"

Well that's interesting then, thanks for that.

But if all these things are just sensors WHERE are the actuators that actually operate the two clutches in response to commands from the ECU?

I noticed a large electric motor just under the lower extreme rear left hand side of the removable cowl cover - this is probably the pre-selector stepper motor for the gears - maybe?

Well that's interesting then, thanks for that.

But if all these things are just sensors WHERE are the actuators that actually operate the two clutches in response to commands from the ECU?

I noticed a large electric motor just under the lower extreme rear left hand side of the removable cowl cover - this is probably the pre-selector stepper motor for the gears - maybe?

OEM Parts for Sale | Free Shipping on OEM Motorcycle Parts, OEM ATV Parts & More!

If you look at an online illustrated parts list you will see the transmission parts and their names, however you won't get a technical explanation of what the parts do. For that, get the Honda service manual, which says it all.

There are three solenoids just in front of the DCT oil filter - two are marked, one with a "P" and the other an "L" ?

Are those solenoids or pressure sensors? They look very similair to the sensors I see on the Caterpillar equipment I work on. Thanks for the pictures. It is interesting to look at. I am by no means a mechanic. I do repair work and brand new machines. Different than working on things that break down in the field.

I was thinking something like one sensor would tell it which mode you have selected and cause a specific reaction while another sensor would interact with the clutches.

Or since it has two clutches maybe the two identified harnesses have something to do with telling a specific clutch when to engage or disengage.

Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I think you know more than what the service manual can divulge.
The EOP sensors from top:
no marks- No.2 clutch (even number gears)
middle 'P' clutch line (???
one sensor would tell it which mode you have selected and cause a specific reaction
-this could be the M/A toggle???)
1-No.1 clutch (this one handles the odd gears)

Back