• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Effect of Sun on the NC700X

Since I don't have to commute with my bike I never needed an outdoor sun/weather cover but in the garage, just to keep the dust off, I use an old king sized flat bed sheet draped over the bike.
BTW, you must live in a different part of SoCal than me (near Disneyland) because the average SUNNY days here number 275 to 285 a year.:cool::cool:

Up here in Montana the sun just makes my NC go Happy Happy Joy Joy. But I have to cover the seat if I leave it outside (not so important when using a Sit & Fly seat cover over the front seat) because of all our kittays.

2016-07-07 09;25;43 by greenboy, on Flickr

Since I don't have to commute with my bike I never needed an outdoor sun/weather cover but in the garage, just to keep the dust off, I use an old king sized flat bed sheet draped over the bike.
BTW, you must live in a different part of SoCal than me (near Disneyland) because the average SUNNY days here number 275 to 285 a year.:cool::cool:

Haha okay fine you got me! Funny how you mention Disneyland, wife and son are there right now! Im in Buena Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what impact sun would have on the NC700X but would you park in the shade?

Yes. I park in the shade or put a cover on the bike whenever and wherever I can (assuming I cannot park inside or under a roof). The sun is wickedly destructive not only to paints, but to plastics especially.

"Not sure what impact sun would have on the NC700X but would you park in the shade? My bike is parked inside the garage when not commuting."
The sun will destroy the plastics. My Old GL1200's plastic was disintegrating because of it. My bike sits in a parking lot for 12-13 hours a day while I'm at work and I'd bet the black plastic bits will be breaking off in 20 years or less, if I didn't protect it.
I have the Kwikover like Fuzzy. No matter what sun protection you use, it's worth it.

UV is very harmful to everything. I will not let my bike sit in the sun over 1 hour w/o its cover.
I've been using the silver Dowco Guardian Ultralite in LG for over 25 years. They last forever are UV proof waterproof and pack small.
Out of sight out of mind security blanket.

Dowco Guardian Ultralite Motorcycle Cover - Cycle Gear
What size are you using?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

LG=Large.
Years ago I bought a Honda accessory cover that fell apart within a year. UV killed it.
These Dowco are tough and do last forever.

If you ride your bike a short distance to work then I could see wanting to cover it while you are working.

However, if you go on longer rides your bike is in the sun the whole time (unless of course it is raining) so what difference does it make.

With all of that said I will say that my 2012 has some considerable fading on the blinker housings and the plastic parts of the controls.
It only had 2113 miles on it when I bought it a month ago so I suspect most of the damage is from sitting outside a lot rather than riding a lot.

I've also had better luck with Dowco stuff than pretty well everybody else's I've tried, both for covers and for tank bags and the like. They seem to UV-protect them better or something.

Last edited:
If you go on longer rides your bike is in the sun the whole time (unless of course it is raining) so what difference does it matter.

The short answer is Heat. I'm no scientist but movement cooling IMO may counter some of the UV damage.

With all due respect phrases like 'with that said', 'at the end of the day' or 'having said that' irks me to no end. They are wasted words that say nothing. Food for thought. Please don't take this personally.

Ha! Phrases like "with all due respect" are exactly the same thing but seriously no offense taken.

Also, not to offend you but clearly you are not a scientist or you would realise that UV is UV whether the wind is blowing 3 or 300 mph.

Have you ever been sunburned while riding a motorcycle or maybe while in a convertible or on a boat?

Seriously not trying to be a D or offend you in any way.
Just jerkin' your chain a little or what ever phrase you want to use here.

Ha! Phrases like "with all due respect" are exactly the same thing but seriously no offense taken.

Also, not to offend you but clearly you are not a scientist or you would realise that UV is UV whether the wind is blowing 3 or 300 mph.

Have you ever been sunburned while riding a motorcycle or maybe while in a convertible or on a boat?

Seriously not trying to be a D or offend you in any way.
Just jerkin' your chain a little or what ever phrase you want to use here.

Well there's that. Oops! That may be wasted verbiage also.

Back