• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Valve Clearance Check

When I first saw where Honda put the head on the NCX, I thought it was a winner. I have already completed my first valve inspection/adjustment and it was a breeze.
In a way it reminds me of the old VW beetle. Made for someone that will do the work their self and not have to rely on the dealer that will charge you an arm an a leg.
It's your call whether you buy the bike or not, but for me, I made the best choice and I think Honda did also.

Last edited:
Very helpful replies regarding helping me make my decision on a new bike. I've seen videos on servicing my scooter for the future and I'm not liking what I see. It includes: valve clearance check and adjustment with shims; belt replacement; variator check and replacement; slider/roller inspection and replacement; variator fan; and clutch. All of which have expected wear out intervals at least every two to three years or less with the exception of the clutch on the BV350, because it's the first Piaggio scooter to use a wet clutch, so it's kind of unknown whether it will last the life of the scooter or not. Getting to and messing with all of those parts seems pretty complicated from what I've seen, plus the belt replacement comes around too often, and, if one ever decides to use the scooter to go on a trip, the belts are known to wear quickly when they get hot, and therefore, have the possibility of breaking and leaving one to replace it on the side of the road even if the belt is fairly new. For all these reasons, plus the low wear life of the rear tires, and the fact that I just don't like the CVT in general as a matter of efficiency, I'm pretty set on a new MC.

I've also been following a couple of threads on the CB500 series bike. I'm considering the CB500X, but there is some bad news there. Even though its got a 14,000 miles valve clearance check interval, it seems as though Honda is calling for a check at the initial 600 mile service and dealers are charging to have it done. I believe its got shims, and that one out of every five or so actually have to be adjusted at that low mileage. So, even though at first glance this looked like a negative for the CTX700 versus the CB500X, I think this gives me another reason to choose the CTX.

So now I know about the 8K valve clearance check and I'm still not happy about it, I don't think its going to be a deal breaker, considering what I've learned about the other Honda choices. I think I still will take a look at the Shadow, but I know it's not the bike I really want. No messing with a chain, but I'd give up 10 mpg, the style I really want, and I'm sure there are maintenance quirks with it as well.

Last edited:
I think I still will take a look at the Shadow, but I know it's not the bike I really want.

I am not trying to sell NC Hondas, as it makes no difference to me what you choose to ride, but I have never seen this work out well.

You seem to have great interest in overall operating economy. I can't imagine any recent motorcycle beating the NC on operating economics: easy maintenance, basic reliability, regular gas and not much of it. Certainly no scooter 350cc or over. Finally, your general fear of valve clearance, unless it is a Ducati desmo or a 6th gen. VFR, seems overblown to me.

All valves on bikes, even hydraulic lifters, have to be checked. I believe that the rocker arm is the easy, simple way to go.3.jpg

SmileyLost.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
wow, you guys make it seem so easy. ;)
I will order a service manual first and then refer back to this when the time comes.

thanks for posting and all the advice.

Ken

All valves on bikes, even hydraulic lifters, have to be checked. I believe that the rocker arm is the easy, simple way to go.

Since I've never owned a single vehicle in my life with hydraulic valves, how does one go about checking those type? Is it the lifters/pushrods that get looked at?

My CX500Turbo had screw and locknut adjusters, and was the most valve adjustment friendly bike I've ever owned. But it also had push rods, which I utterly neglected to ever think twice about, in all the years and mileage I put on that thing...
:eek: :eek:

I have a stupid question. First time checking valve clearance. which cylinder is #1 and which valves are intake?

No. 1 is on the left side when seated on the bike. Intake valves are on top. Exhaust valves are on bottom. You might wish to watch someone do one before you attempt it yourself.

No. 1 is on the left side when seated on the bike. Intake valves are on top. Exhaust valves are on bottom. You might wish to watch someone do one before you attempt it yourself.

i would appreciate,if someone post a complete DIY here. step by step,including tools required ,torques etc. i'm also member of Mercedes Benz forum-their DIY's on various problems and maintenance are outstanding.saved me thousands of dollars.

Thank you!

I also see 4 intake on top and 4 exhaust on bottom from the picture. Am I correct that you check 4 intake and 4 exhaust or are there only two of each to check. I have the service manual but cant find where it specifies this. I'm sure its written for those with more experience than I have. I would think there would be only 1 intake and 1 exhaust per cylinder.

I also had a T-Max scooter Bemmerphile..great ride..but I traded on the 700X just before the valve adjustment was due! :)
Those shims just bothered me!
The easy valve adjustment on the NC700 is not much different from that of my Ural! Really easy to do.
After reading Trey's great step-by-step instructions with photos.. I am looking forward to the first check!
Thanks Trey!

I also see 4 intake on top and 4 exhaust on bottom from the picture. Am I correct that you check 4 intake and 4 exhaust or are there only two of each to check. I have the service manual but cant find where it specifies this. I'm sure its written for those with more experience than I have. I would think there would be only 1 intake and 1 exhaust per cylinder.

You have to check all eight valves.

I also straight feelers. Is there enough room for them to work or do I need the curved ones?

The valve clearances are small enough that the straight feelers are flexible enough to do the job.

The NC700X reminds me of a 4 cylinder Goldwing.

Same valve adjustments,

set crank position, to intake, check intake, in out of spec. adjust, then turn crank till exhaust mark lines up. check exhaust, if out of spec. adjust.

Then turn crank around till back on intake check work, do same to exhaust. Done, enjoy another 8k miles

Really very simple, key is for someone new to watch you tube videos, then watch it some more, when you feel confidante enough then, Just do it.

4 valves per cylinder = 2 intake and 2 Exhaust x 2 cylinders = 8 valves total, for both cyl.'s 4 intake & 4 exhausts

Last edited by a moderator:
So just put her in nutural then turn the rear wheel to advice positions to bottom for intake and top for exhaust to check each one it seems. So these are like my old bmwr7505r air heads correct...just screw type adjustment?

Back