• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windshields: form vs. function

There is also a case with the NC where the mirrors and or hand guards can redirect and influence wind at the neck and torso. For me, it is definitely not all about airflow OVER the top.

I think there may be something to this.... I have my NC750X set up very similarly to my previous CB500X, and while the CB was well-protected and quiet on the highway, the NC has a lot of buffeting from the sides. The CB has rounded, teardrop-shaped mirrors, while the NC has sharp, angular mirrors -- I've often wondered if those are the contributing factor to the side buffeting. Has anyone swapped mirrors and noticed a difference?

Thanks!
-Jim G

Slightly different profile and less of a beak maybe? If I had my own personal wind tunnel it would be enlightening.

As far as mirrors go, I have read some posts reporting a change when simply moving them to a different position, or if they swapped them altogether. I replaced my OEM mirrors because the right hand one would no longer stay in one place. The new ones extend an inch or 2 outward and sit a little lower, which is nice for visibility, but they might be allowing more airflow through for me. This wind stuff is fiddly diddly doo!

air is like water flowing around rocks in a stream or a breeze blowing thru a forest. Every little pebble, trunk or branch disrupts the smooth flow and causes the water/air to be directed somewhere else, bumping into smooth water/air causing turbulence. It is quite hard to master. It's why sharks and F 22 Raptors are shaped like they are..and why aero is such a big deal in F1 and Moto GP.

air is like water flowing around rocks in a stream or a breeze blowing thru a forest. Every little pebble, trunk or branch disrupts the smooth flow and causes the water/air to be directed somewhere else, bumping into smooth water/air causing turbulence. It is quite hard to master. It's why sharks and F 22 Raptors are shaped like they are..and why aero is such a big deal in F1 and Moto GP.
Even if a MC windshield is primo at 65 mph and we introduce a 15 mph crosswind everything can change. Or you get it exactly right at 55 but at 75 you become a bobblehead. My 2014 Triumph 800 was like that. The stock windshield was beautifully made and purty to look at but was worthless at highway speeds. I invested in the adjustable touring shield which wasn’t too bad up to 60 but above that was loud and obnoxious.

Last edited:
The extendo-visor doohickey arrived today and I had time for a quick test ride. Temps in the mid/low 50s and windy. At speeds 60-70+ there was no air hitting the helmet, chest, shoulders or anywhere else I could immediately tell, and a little side to side lean confirmed that nothing much was coming in from the sides. The thing works as advertised and it'll do, but it's just another aesthetic compromise from where I'm standing. I'd say this case is closed for now, and as riding slows down over the colder months I can think about what I want to do next.

IMG_20231130_154420314_HDR.jpgIMG_20231130_154431677_HDR.jpg

I'm in the same boat as many others. I have the same exact bike. Stock shield blasts me right in the chest with turbulence, feels like I'm being yanked around. Got the touring tinted Givi, which looks great, but puts the turbulence right at my eyes and vibrates my head. Bought the GP and it vibrates the top of my head unless I crouch down like I'm on a crotch rocket, which I don't like due to a bad back. My only setup that works is the tallest GP with a clip on. I can finally get a decent pocket that way, but good god it is ugly lol. I bought a Palmer bracket to use with the tinted shield, but then air pours underneath it and makes that set-up useless. I have considered selling the bike because I cannot tolerate riding more than 30 minutes at highway speeds. I'm convinced I won't be comfortable until I can afford a Gold Wing. Maybe I'm not built for riding lol? I just want to be comfortable, and not feel like I'm riding a naked

I have had nothing but trouble with windshields since getting my '16 NC earlier this year. It came with a tall/skinny Puig (8910W), I tried a GP Komposit (with and without height increasing brackets) and a CalSci. The GP looks the best but it's a bit too short. I'm running the CalSci right now because it's taller/wider and does well with noise abatement, and not too bad with buffeting. So yes, I figured out the function part!

But it still looks dorky even after I made a cosmetic modification to the lower edge. I'm either going to have to cut it up more or figure out something that looks better that doesn't look bad (to me). I like the NC but the front end of this bike is just difficult to make look good (again, to me). I've looked and looked and nothing moves the needle and I'd like to avoid using a top mount visor on a better looking windshield.

I was seriously thinking of getting a different bike because of this the other day lol!
Hi, I have the Puig 6361 light smoke. IMO it looks good and provides a nice balanced height.

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
^ I'm fairly sure that Puig (6361) is a no go - you have a different bike (though very similar in some regards), and the mounting points appear much lower than those on a '16 NC700X. The previous owner had a similar Puig on mine when I acquired it, but it looked worse (to me) than the one they make for your bike.

Similar to @The Mayor above I had been questioning whether or not to hang up my helmet (again) or keep trying to figure out a better solution for the NC. I'm left cold (ha) where she sits now and starting to consider moving on to a different bike altogether (gasp).

For anyone mining this thread for help and advice, here’s a wrench in the works: I removed a CalSci windshield (46 cm overall centre height) and replaced it with a Givi (30.5 cm overall centre height). The Givi is claimed to be 6 cm taller than stock. At any rate, I just couldn’t tolerate the looks of the CalSci. I was willing to choose form over function. As it turns out, the Givi offers more comfort. The airflow is at helmet level (just), and the turbulence of the CalSci is gone.

Disclaimers:

I ride an NC700S, not an X.
I am 6’5” tall, with the bulk of my height in the upper body.
I am not touring on my bike—one to two day trips for the most part.

*If I wanted 100% wind protection, I’d buy a Gold Wing. Or a car.

Reactions: MZ5
For anyone mining this thread for help and advice, here’s a wrench in the works: I removed a CalSci windshield (46 cm overall centre height) and replaced it with a Givi (30.5 cm overall centre height). The Givi is claimed to be 6 cm taller than stock. At any rate, I just couldn’t tolerate the looks of the CalSci. I was willing to choose form over function. As it turns out, the Givi offers more comfort. The airflow is at helmet level (just), and the turbulence of the CalSci is gone.

Disclaimers:

I ride an NC700S, not an X.
I am 6’5” tall, with the bulk of my height in the upper body.
I am not touring on my bike—one to two day trips for the most part.

*If I wanted 100% wind protection, I’d buy a Gold Wing. Or a car.
A Goldwing does not have 100% wind protection. Far from it.

Back