• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

16,000 Miles, Check the Valves or Not?

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2012 is getting ready to turn over 16,000 miles and I'm trying to decide if I should check the valves or wait until 24,000 miles.

The majority of the threads I've read state that the valves always seem to be within tolerance when checked. Plus I'm no mechanic and taking the head off of the engine scares me!

Would I be hurting anything by waiting until 24,000 miles to check the valves?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since it's the first check, I recommend doing it on schedule. Based on what adjustment is required this time, you can adjust the interval longer or shorter for the next one.

The answer is obvious and I'm sure you know it already what it is. If you have stomach cramps because of it, don't do it by yourself this first time. You don't need to go to a dealer. Most auto mechanics can do it without problem if you give them service manual. It is very likely that valve clearance wouldn't require any adjustments but better for you if you know it. After that you good to go for another 16k miles. Not checking now maybe costly mistake.

Greg gave you good advice. If/since this is the first check for yours (my '12 calls for every 8k), you should do the check now and make adjustments going forward, if warranted, based on what you see.

The answer is obvious and I'm sure you know it already what it is. If you have stomach cramps because of it, don't do it by yourself this first time. You don't need to go to a dealer. Most auto mechanics can do it without problem if you give them service manual. It is very likely that valve clearance wouldn't require any adjustments but better for you if you know it. After that you good to go for another 16k miles. Not checking now maybe costly mistake.

If you go to an auto mechanic, I can see them snapping off the head cover bolts if they don't know the torque spec. I would point that out, along with the proper engine coolant specs.

My 2012 is getting ready to turn over 16,000 miles and I'm trying to decide if I should check the valves or wait until 24,000 miles.

The majority of the threads I've read state that the valves always seem to be within tolerance when checked. Plus I'm no mechanic and taking the head off of the engine scares me!

Would I be hurting anything by waiting until 24,000 miles to check the valves?

Thanks

When you get ready to check your valve lash, don't remove the heads! It is the valve cover you will need to remove to expose the valve train. I figure that was probably what you meant but just to be sure.

Thanks for the replies and corrections! (Valve cover...not heads!)

Gues I need to bite the bullet and check them! I have the service manual and a torque wrench, time to get my hands dirty. [emoji3]

...I can see them snapping off the head cover bolts if they don't know the torque spec...

That's why I advised to supply them with service manual.
Of course we need to agree with a definition of "auto mechanic". My "friendly" mechanic has variety of certified torque devices I could only dream of and helped me to test those what I own.

Definitely check them. The original interval called for 8k where very few people needed any significant adjustment, and now Honda changed the interval to 16k after feedback. That is a very reasonable time frame and the procedure is very easy.

Some of the exhaust valves on mine were a little tight when I did them. I agree with the advice to check them.

I just finished adjusting valves at 16000 miles on my 2013 DCT and found all but three just enough tight that I adjusted them to spec. I also had checked them at 8000 miles and all were in spec.
Given how easy a task it is (especially if you have a friend with a motorcycle lift!!) you should give it a go!
There is a great video available in the forum and the service manual is easy to follow.
You, or someone should really check your valves at your current 16000 mi.
BudK

Just knocked out my valve lash adjustment. Easy as can be, just a bit time consuming. To borrow a phrase my Dad taught me, "Why pay someone to screw it up when I can do it for free?!"

The oil change was due as well, so I knocked out two jobs in one day. Time for a shower!

Edit: My odometer was at 8,016 miles. I figured I'd go approach the job with caution and do it at 8k vs. 16k.

Last edited:
Well it was going very smoothly until the upper valve cover bolt snapped off!

b7de2d9f4129f27dba5e90b6f533d8a9.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Well it was going very smoothly until the upper valve cover bolt snapped off!

They do that when the torque spec is exceeded. I assume you didn't do what some have done, and break off two bolts. :confused::confused::confused:

No just one!

It was the last bolt and I was using a torque wrench set to 11 foot pounds

Trying to extract the broken piece but might have to throw in the towel

No just one!

It was the last bolt and I was using a torque wrench set to 11 foot pounds

Trying to extract the broken piece but might have to throw in the towel

The torque spec is 7 lb-ft. You're not the first to break one (or two) off, and you surely won't be the last. Oh well, live and learn.

Last edited:
It had to be the top bolt, the hardest to reach with a drill.

Going to town to get bolt extractor and right angle drill.

Mad at myself because I read and reread the manual, but still used the wrong value.

Embarrassed

Back